Need help with initial upgrades on DJI Phantom 2 V3 (GoPro)

Reaction score
Howdy,
My name is Andrew, I'm a new member from northeast UT, and I am excited to have finally purchased my own Phantom for aerial photography and video. My initial purchase was of the Phantom II with the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal setup. I also purchased extra propellers, prop guards, a spare battery, and the iOSD module. I own a Gopro Hero 3 Silver and plan on selling it and eventually upgrading to the Hero 4 Black. I have a shopping list on amazon compiled of the various upgrades I am looking into for FPV and range, however, reading the mixed reviews leaves me unwilling to purchase quite yet without getting some valuable input from a group such as this. This is my first drone and I don't have much significant prior experience with the RC world. Items I am looking at are as follows:

DJI AVL58 5.8G Video Downlink kit - Leaning towards this one
Or the Boscam 32 Ch 5.8G 600mw wireless AV trans/Rec kit (Reading some bad reviews on this one)

Flysight 32 Ch Black Pearl monitor with battery

Extra battery

DJI FPV Cable and Hub kit

Neewer HJ HJ03 5.8G Transmitter FPV A/V Realtime output cable for Gopro Hero 3
Realtime portable mini GMS/GPS/GPRS tracker (Sim card version)

Also looking at enhanced antennae.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Basically the setup I want is the longest range possible while still maintaining reliability. (Trying to prevent flyaways or crashing!) I live in a rural mountainous area and I would very much like to get footage/photos of all the beautiful scenery here where I live. Lots of forests, canyons, meadows, etc etc. I am also looking to get a lot of shots of vehicles in motion, auto racing (AutoX with the SCCA), and mountain driving. I've got lots of plans and would like to make sure I get the best equipment for the task.

Any info, tips/tricks, etc are helpful as well as any obscure laws/regulations I may need to know about. I've heard about people getting in trouble for flying in/around National Parks and other touristy areas so I was going to do some research on where I can/cannot fly.

Again thanks in advance for your advice!

Re: Need help with initial upgrades on DJI Phantom 2 V3 (GoP

Read the manual three times front to back learn the software completely. learn to fly well then worry about upgrades!

Thanks for the great info already! I really appreciate it. I am glad that I posted here before purchasing anything. I ordered the antenna kit (Stage 3) from FPVLR.com after reading through lots of info on the antenna thread. I also ordered the Flysight 32Ch FPV kit since I have so much trouble seeing anything through the crappy gopro app. About that manual... I don't know if the latest V3 is trying to be environmentally friendly or what, but I only got a quick start guide in multiple languages and a handbook of warnings and safety labels... Had to go onto their website to download an actual manual with decent info! I've been flying a bunch every day since I got it, getting the controls memorized and practicing a lot of maneuvers useful for filming. Been reading through the manual and familiarizing myself as much as possible. I am ALWAYS making sure I have a solid GPS lock and calibrate the compass every time. I also ordered the GPS tracker (Sim card version) that I see a lot of folks using just in case! Plus I printed a label with my labelmaker with my phone number and name and affixed it to two different locations on the drone. I've read a lot of horror stories so far and I'd rather take every precaution I can. I'm really excited to get to know you folks and learn more and more about this whole setup.

On a side note, Anyone have any luck finding a case that fits the prop guards? I'd rather not take them off every time I need to store it. I may repurpose an old pelican case I got from the Army and order a new foam liner if it fits. Gotta dig it out of the shed first to see if it's big enough.

First, welcome to the forum!

I love my case but attached rotor guards won't fit. There are clip on guards that I believe are sold in the classified section of this forum. The case I have is aluminum with professionally cut foam, to fit the phantom, plus many accessories. Search for Phantom cases on Amazon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1