Need clarification please

Reaction score
Sorry for new thread but I didn't want to ask in other threads.

I'm new to this hobby.

The more I read and try to learn about this the more confused I get.

I live within 5 miles of an airport, neighbors and friends work there. The airport manager knows me, we went to school together so I really want to do this legally.

Do I have this correct?

I register as a hobby flier.

Then when I want to fly I go to this FAA website Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) and request a waiver. I read this is how the FAA wants you to do it rather than calling the tower.

Is that it?

What am I missing if anything?

Sorry but that "Waiver/Authorization" portal is for Commercial operators working under the FAA's Part 107 certification.

As a hobbyist you must contact the airport or workout an agreement and get it in writing. If you work out an agreement you make sure you have it in writing and they have a copy on file at the airport.

Reactions: JesterPhotog
All you do as a hobby flier is contact the airport/tower and inform them that you will be flying in the vicinity. Give them you name, contact number, times you will be flying, location and max altitude. I usually call again when I am done just so they know.

Reactions: Falcon900
Better to worry about and ask when unsure than to get hung out to dry later LOL. ENJOY NA FLY SAFE,

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20