Need Authorization to Fly Here? Nope.

Reaction score
Burliington.jpg

It's obviously within 5 miles of the Burlington airport. The DJI-GO app won't let you take off there. B4UFLY app says there are 2 airports and 1 heliport nearby and that, by law, you need authorization to fly here. But what about the fact that you're inside that faded magenta circle around the Burlington airport? That says that you're within class G airspace if you're under 700 ft, and we can fly in G space without telling or asking anyone.

So I called and spoke with Kevin Morris, the FAA "drone guy", whose job it is to go around and hold seminars and talks to educate pilots of manned and unmanned aircraft about what the FAA expects them to know about the regulations. We were both looking at the sectional chart above, and I told him I wanted to fly in downtown Burlington. Who should I notify? He told me that I do NOT need to notify anyone (although it's probably a good idea) since I would be in class G airspace and that THAT is the criteria one needs to go by to determine whether or not authorization is required.

The popular belief that many pilots have where "within 5 miles of an airport" you need authorization does not strictly apply, even though the DJI app and B4UFLY apps indicate otherwise. It all depends on whether or not it is "G" within those 5 miles.

So now I can go back to believing what I think I know about 107 and airspace and airports, until such time that I see something that challenges my understanding yet again.

I hope some of you find this helpful.

Reactions: Guest72779
Your correct, Burlington is Class G so you don't need authorization. As a recreational flyer, you are still expected to 'notify' an airport if you will be flying within 5 mile. Notifying and asking for authorization are different things. And remember, if you notify the airport and they ask you not to fly at that particular time and place (there may be some operation ongoing that you didn't know about), and you fly anyway, the FAA could consider that reckless!

I was trying to define the line between what I HAVE to do and what I SHOULD do. I've got a pretty good handle on what I should do and needed clarification on the HAVE to part since I was getting conflicting info from the FAA's own app.

Then of course there is 107.43:

107.43 Operation in the vicinity of airports.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in a manner that interferes with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport, or seaplane base.

So just because I'm in G doesn't mean I can fly formation with aircraft on final approach. But if I'm 2 miles out and all I want to do is get a short clip of a furniture store's big sign out front, and under 100 ft, I probably won't tell anyone.

View attachment 68622

It's obviously within 5 miles of the Burlington airport. The DJI-GO app won't let you take off there. B4UFLY app says there are 2 airports and 1 heliport nearby and that, by law, you need authorization to fly here. But what about the fact that you're inside that faded magenta circle around the Burlington airport? That says that you're within class G airspace if you're under 700 ft, and we can fly in G space without telling or asking anyone.

The popular belief that many pilots have where "within 5 miles of an airport" you need authorization does not strictly apply, even though the DJI app and B4UFLY apps indicate otherwise. It all depends on whether or not it is "G" within those 5 miles.

Common misconceptions, mixing hobbyist flying with Part 107 flying. There is no 5-mile anything under Part 107. I cannot imagine anyone who has passed the Part 107 holding this belief. It's all about airspace class. And remember that B4UFLY is for hobbyists, not for Remote Pilots.

Reactions: Falcon900
Common misconceptions, mixing hobbyist flying with Part 107 flying. There is no 5-mile anything under Part 107. I cannot imagine anyone who has passed the Part 107 holding this belief. It's all about airspace class. And remember that B4UFLY is for hobbyists, not for Remote Pilots.
Well I'll be darned, you are correct about the intended audience of B4UFLY - hobbyists. I thought it was for all UAV pilots, under 107 or not. Thanks for clearing that up. That explains my perceived conflict.

Reactions: N42742

This should be plastered all over. Part 107 has no 5 mile requirements, and the apps are designed for non-commercial, recreational pilots. Thank you for helping spread this information!

Reactions: Falcon900
Where do you see the ( G Space in the map ) Thanks
As stated earlier, the magenta ring around Burlington denotes class e airspace with a floor of 700 ft agl. So anything flying below that level is in 'G' or uncontrolled airspace. Remember below 18000 ft, any space not specifically designated is by default G.

Where do you see the ( G Space in the map ) Thanks

The faded magenta ring around the airport is a class E transition area from 1200 to 700.

Outside of the ring, class G extends up to 1200 ft where class E starts. Inside the faded area class G extends up to 700 feet where class E starts.

Fly away. Stay under 400 ft AGL and do not in any way interfere or disrupt the airport operations. Have fun

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1