ND filters

Reaction score
I'm looking at several filter kits on Amazon for a P4A. Ive narrowed down options to several kits:

-Polar pro vivid collection
-polarpro shutter collection
-skygreat 4 pack on Amazon
-Neewer 6 pack on Amazon
-neatotek 6 pack on Amazon
-Freewell filter kits

I know polar pro is the best brand, but they are quite expensive. Does anyone have any experience with the other ones?

There are lots of great filters available. The brands listed here would all be good choices.

I had your problem and bought Taco. Funny name, but they have a good rating, really. They are the same weight as the factory ones you screw off. I read that Neewer was too heavy.
Taco is not the cheapest. They work really well on my p4 and screw on great. Very satisfied.
Gimbal lock fits over it.

Last edited:
Polar Pro cinema series vivid collection for us. Worth the money if you're serious. The Polar Pro shutter collection would also be a good choice (although I'm sceptical about the ND32 being useful). With filters, you get what you pay for in the photography world.

If you'll be filming over water, the vivid's ND/PL combination will take the glare off. If you're not going to be over water much, like us, they'll still add vibrancy to a scene.

The main reason for them - which you'll probably already know, and many others have explained the reasoning well - is to maintain the double-shutter-speed rule (i.e. the shutter speed should be double the frames per second or fps).

Last edited:
I bought the Taco filters for my P3P back in 2015, they were well made and a decent price. Last month, I picked up a P4P and went with the inexpensive Neewer four filter set that I just rec'd from Amazon. The seem to be very well made and are about 4.25g which is supposed to be fine for the gimbal. Weather has been lousy so I have not flown with them, but they thread on easy and I haven't noticed a color cast taking a few shots around the house. They were well priced at $39.99 and came from Neewer via Amazon. Amazon has a great return policy, so I thought they were worth trying out. Will report more when I can fly with them.

I have the Polar Pro and the Freewell. Freewell is better built but also twice the money. When you attach the Polar Pro and try to remove them squeezing two much will make them bind when trying to untwist them. That part concerns me in case you screw them on too tight. Just snug them up when attaching is what I think.

I have the Polar Pro set and no problems but I did have to purchase a Polar Pro gimbal lock as the one supplied with my P4P didn't fit if filter was left on.

We're still using the original gimbal lock. We just put on whatever filter is required before a flight and take it off again at the end of a flight. It takes 60-90 seconds and keeps the filters safe in their case when not in use - and offers an easy opportunity for inspection to see if cleaning is needed. Just as you'd do with terrestrial photography.

I have the sandmarc filter set. It came on a clear hard plastic case, ND 4, 8, 16, and a polarised filter for still photos. It does not fit on the stock gimble protector.

I bought the Neewers first. One had a little spot on it so I used lens cleaner on it. Bad idea. Melted some kind of coating off of it. Fortunately they took it back.

Bought the Polar Pro NDs & have been happy with them. Will probably buy the polarized ones too.

Agree with African Wildlife— ND32 is kind of useless, too dark for me.

I bought the Neewers first. One had a little spot on it so I used lens cleaner on it. Bad idea. Melted some kind of coating off of it. Fortunately they took it back.

Bought the Polar Pro NDs & have been happy with them. Will probably buy the polarized ones too.

Agree with African Wildlife— ND32 is kind of useless, too dark for me.
An ND32 (5 stops) will get you down to 1/50s at f4 with the sun high and no cloud. I guess you could shoot at f5.6 running an ND16 (for 24fps) and still get good IQ. It seems the P4Pro has dispensed the need for anything greater than an ND16.

An ND32 (5 stops) will get you down to 1/50s at f4 with the sun high and no cloud. I guess you could shoot at f5.6 running an ND16 (for 24fps) and still get good IQ. It seems the P4Pro has dispensed the need for anything greater than an ND16.

The ND32 is pretty much for exactly that, shooting either f2.8 or f4 mid-day under full sun. It more so just gives you the choice to shoot at those two apertures if you want to. A lot of our customers like to have it in the bag for that reason, but it is all personal preference :)

-Jeff from PolarPro

Ordered PolarPro vivid set of 3 ND/PL 4, 8, 16 for my P4P+. Good quality, no heavier than stock lens cover, gimbal lock fits, screws on easily. When attached, outer ring rotates for polarizing. Very happy with purchase.

Reactions: PolarPro
The ND32 is pretty much for exactly that, shooting either f2.8 or f4 mid-day under full sun. It more so just gives you the choice to shoot at those two apertures if you want to. A lot of our customers like to have it in the bag for that reason, but it is all personal preference :)

-Jeff from PolarPro
I have the 32 and 64 in my kit....

Update: I bought the Neatotek ones, and returned them because they had bad build quality. I ended up getting an nd 4,8,&16 from Polarpro.

I recently got the Polar Pro Cinema series 8, 16, 32.
I've used the ND8 , and the picture looks great!

Are the ND/PL available only in sets or can you buy only the ones you use. Thanks.

If you would like to special order singles we are happy to accommodate.
Just shoot our support team and email and they will get you all set up.
[email protected]

Let me know if you have any other questions!
-Jeff from PolarPro

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z