ND Filters - Polar Pro or Taco RC

The polar pro have a more polished look, although they are adding weight to the camera and I am assuming they will need some sort of counter balance. The Taco RC haven't even labeled their filters, although this is not a show stopper it does make me question their attention to detail, that said that is the manufacturer I'm favoring at the minute, they don't include a CP, but coming from a photography background I don't know how useful a CP would be if you are shooting with the sun coming at you from various angles.

I am hoping the Taco perform well and I am watching another thread, waiting for some feed back, before making my decision.

The polar pro have a more polished look, although they are adding weight to the camera and I am assuming they will need some sort of counter balance.
I have noticed that people are happy with their SRP filters and they are like twice the weight of the Polar Pros. Do all of them use counterweights?

I just received mine from Taco RC today. Your right, not a mark on them anywhere? That's crazy for what I paid for them!! I also turned them over looking for a mark and the "O" rings on the inside fall right out. They came in a nice pouch and with a fancy white gimble lock/lens cover that has "DJI" in gold on the front of it. C'mon Taco RC, ditch the extras and mark the lenses instead!
Opps, I forgot to mention, no packing list either so I'm not sure what I got? There's 4 of them though. I'll have to go back and look at my order. Sheesh.

I got my TACO ND's the other day and had a small weather window to test them out - through one battery. I was in such a rush to beat storms that I forgot to slide in my SD card.
But the on-screen display (I have retina quality) showed much promise with what I assume was the ND8. I dont like that they are not labelled and

I used the first release of the PolarPro filters, and was very disappointed that I could not thread them up.

I also tried the PhantomFilters 4 pack .... and while I was drawn by the nearly zero weight, handling proved to be far too cumbersome.

But the quality of the PolarPro products is by far best of the lot in my view. And the new lighter-weight models, if they in fact add only 1.2 grams, will undoubtedly be where I will finally settle.

I am interested in hearing about the new PolarPro filter threading ...

I just received my taco ND set. Yes they are not labeled BUT it is not difficult to figure out which is the 4, 8, 16 and 32. On the other thread I posted a test flight with the ND 32 and was pleased. They screw on well and the fit is dead on. I am very pleased with the taco. I labeled the pouch for each filter. Big plus with the lack of extra weight.

Reactions: bobomet
I like Dataways however I do find the process of installing and removing annoying. The new Polar Pros are $149.99 :http://polarprofilters.com/shop/Phantom3Filter vs Taco-RC $67.99 http://taco-rc.com/taco-rc-nd-filte...phantom-3-professional-advance-free-shipping/, I may just go order the Taco-Rc but I will continue to hear opinions on this before I make my final purchase. Too bad there's not a lot of examples on the net so far. I'm a professional video guy and need something without a color case.

Taco filters are probably best value, but it's preorders right now and it's being shipped from Asia.

I might consider them when they actually have stock. I also wish they had a CP filter and a graduated ND filter.

Phantomfilters is plastic and plastic can never be as good as glass. They're also a PIA to handle and switch out. This might be a great option for someone who will put ND8 inside and just leave it be...

So far, I've used the PolarPro (1st generation - which didn't thread on my P3P), the PhantomFilters ND wafers, and now I'm trying out the TACO RC pack.
I'm VERY anxious to hear what others experience with the new PolarPro release. I do think their general product quality is better by far than the rest - as I've been using their filters on my GoPro for above and under water use - and they are really good.

I ordered my Tacos right after they were released, and they shipped quickly, but I haven't seen them yet. Ordered some SRP's a few days later and they showed up last week. I love them. Wish I had bough the ND32. They are super quick to put on and take off, without having to unscrew and screw. :D Hopefully my Tacos get here soon and I can play with them. The added weight of the SRP's doesn't seem to bother the gimbal.

I got my TACO ND's the other day and had a small weather window to test them out - through one battery. I was in such a rush to beat storms that I forgot to slide in my SD card.
But the on-screen display (I have retina quality) showed much promise with what I assume was the ND8. I dont like that they are not labelled and

I used the first release of the PolarPro filters, and was very disappointed that I could not thread them up.

I also tried the PhantomFilters 4 pack .... and while I was drawn by the nearly zero weight, handling proved to be far too cumbersome.

But the quality of the PolarPro products is by far best of the lot in my view. And the new lighter-weight models, if they in fact add only 1.2 grams, will undoubtedly be where I will finally settle.

I am interested in hearing about the new PolarPro filter threading ...

Like you, I have the PolarPros, Taco and PhantomFilters.

PolarPros don't even screw on so can't comment on these. They are going to send me a new pair once they become available.

Tacos have no label, but are super light, screw in super easy and the video results were pretty good. I really like that they came with gimbal holder. I no longer need the crappy one that came with the P3.

With PhantomFilters you get what you pay for. I dented one of the filters by simply trying to put in the lens. I don't have a plan to use them anymore now that I have the tacos.

Reactions: bobomet
I've been using Dataway's ND filter but I see that Polar Pro just release their new filter set: http://polarprofilters.com/shop/Phantom3Filter & Taco RC just released theirs. Which one is better for the price?

Like you I have also been using Dataways filters. My PP 3-pack arrived yesterday and the quality is great. I also ordered the foam carrying case. The PP filters screw right on with perfect fit and no messing around with the o-ring. Once you've tried screw on filters that work and fit you won't want anything else.

:harry

With PhantomFilters you get what you pay for. I dented one of the filters by simply trying to put in the lens. I don't have a plan to use them anymore now that I have the tacos.

If you have an issue with one of my filters I'll be happy to replace it. Also remember, the PhantomFilters can fit inside other filters if you need a stronger effect. Also, I suggest trying the POL-filter :)

If you have an issue with one of my filters I'll be happy to replace it. Also remember, the PhantomFilters can fit inside other filters if you need a stronger effect. Also, I suggest trying the POL-filter :)
I loved the filters you sent me at first. Quickest shipping of anyone and best pricing. Tough to clean, I felt like I should be wearing gloves each time I handled one. Also, each one has a sort of "divot" in the center - almost like they were held in place in the center while being cut. It's not noticeable in video or photos though. I found trying to take them out of the UV filter housing was a pain. I carried tweezers in my backpack but still had to fight for a minute to get them out without either bending or scratching them or the UV filter.

I have the slip on SRP's and really like them, but find they give a slight vignette in the corners. I am waiting on my Tacos - shipping seems to be taking longer than it should. I have been on holidays this week, so hopefully they will be in my office when I get home on Wednesday.

I loved the filters you sent me at first. Quickest shipping of anyone and best pricing.

Thanks a lot :)

By the way, there should not be 'a divot'. If that is the case, I will be happy to send you a new set at no cost.

IMG_8353.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94