ND filter

OK so I like to film in bright daylight, so which filter should I get?
It was suggested to me from Peau Productions to use the ND8 Also to change the setting on the Gopro if you are going to do any editing after. I was using mostly the ND4 but found the ND8 did work better. Also take a look at their filters they are small, light and made of high quality glass. I just did a review on their lens and filters if you care to see. again everyone has their opinion and this is just mine :) There are two videos at the end. Grandpa Jake

I'm thinking of ordering the set from rainbows. They were all the rage for a while - has anybody used them? Any feedback?

I'm thinking of ordering the set from rainbows. They were all the rage for a while - has anybody used them? Any feedback?

I ordered a set and they arrived just fine! I haven't used them yet as been trying with a Neweer fader because no gimbal weights are needed. Want to thoroughly research best filters before I consider using weights. I bought the Rainbowers set because they are limited edition and I wanted the option.

UK

Reactions: Rainbowers
Hello fellas....and ladies....I use polar pro's, mudder adjustable and neewer adjustable and have been quiet happy with the quality of all. I've been flying primarily with the neewer just because it's so easy to dial in and shoot some great footage.....

Hello fellas....and ladies....I use polar pro's, mudder adjustable and neewer adjustable and have been quiet happy with the quality of all. I've been flying primarily with the neewer just because it's so easy to dial in and shoot some great footage.....

Hello! You're the only person I know who has also shot with the Neweer! What's the quality like compared to the other filters you have tried? I have so far found it to be fine - had some bad lens flare but that may be the same with any filter?

UK

Hello! You're the only person I know who has also shot with the Neweer! What's the quality like compared to the other filters you have tried? I have so far found it to be fine - had some bad lens flare but that may be the same with any filter?

UK

I've posted a few videos on youtube. If you view the ones from December and early January those were shot with the mudder and all the latest videos have been shot with the neewer....just type in my name in the such field......Aaron hurd.....aaronlsolso let me know what you think of my videos.....I've only been flying for 5 months so I'm still pretty bad.....but I love flying.

Reactions: Grae
My polar pro 3 pack was 69..my mudder was 29 and my Neewer was 19....all of these filter are glass..not plastic and are very well made.

My polar pro 3 pack was 69..my mudder was 29 and my Neewer was 19....all of these filter are glass..not plastic and are very well made.

Neweer are interesting - kind of an underdog I think. Their prices and quality are amazing (and really nice packaging). I have had quite a few DSLR accessories from them in addition to my P3 filter set.

UK

Neweer are interesting - kind of an underdog I think. Their prices and quality are amazing (and really nice packaging). I have had quite a few DSLR accessories from them in addition to my P3 filter set.

I couldn't agree more...iI've been flying a lot with my neewer and love it..

UK

My taco-Rc multi-coated filters arrived today. Comes with a nice carry pouch which stores all 4 filters (ND 4,8,16,32) and fits inside the hardshell backpack, as well as a new gimbal lock which so far I prefer to the original DJI gimbal lock but we'll see how that goes! Each filter is nicely labelled so you can clearly see which filter is which.

First impressions of the filters upon opening is that some of the O-rings inside were a bit loose (see pics), but when installing the filters onto the phantom camera, they seemed to sit much better. I would probably for this reason only clean the filter when they are installed on the camera. On that note, fitment of the filter is like stock, and sits flush against the camera housing unlike the polar pro filters I posted a pic of before. The filter pouch was a bit dusty upon opening which could have been cleaner considering the delicate filters.

Weight wise they seem very much the same as the original UV filter. My P3 pro camera was never 100% balanced out the factory when turned off ; the nose seems to dip down with the stock UV filter on. Quite common I hear so I'm not worried about it. With the taco-Rc filters installed, the behaviour is exactly the same as stock. But it's only when the aircraft is turned off.

One thing I noticed is when screwing in the filters, they don't screw in as "smoothly" as the stock UV filter. The metal is probably not polished as much, and it's a little scratchy when screwing in, but nothing too hectic so I'm not worried about that.

Haven't tried the filters out yet with the camera turned on, but so far so good!

I didn't snap a pic with the filters installed on the camera yet.

0ed423057b5c8c96ebc27f144ffe0992.jpg

305d99113aabaa9b82366ebaa85ba7f0.jpg

1feb8a4b173f882c251f2f46fce620c1.jpg

227781e6a37420ca28431ac2fd3f0caa.jpg

Thanks. If you can quote me so I get notified that would be great! [emoji3]

UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My taco-Rc multi-coated filters arrived today. Comes with a nice carry pouch which stores all 4 filters (ND 4,8,16,32) and fits inside the hardshell backpack, as well as a new gimbal lock which so far I prefer to the original DJI gimbal lock but we'll see how that goes! Each filter is nicely labelled so you can clearly see which filter is which.

First impressions of the filters upon opening is that some of the O-rings inside were a bit loose (see pics), but when installing the filters onto the phantom camera, they seemed to sit much better. I would probably for this reason only clean the filter when they are installed on the camera. On that note, fitment of the filter is like stock, and sits flush against the camera housing unlike the polar pro filters I posted a pic of before. The filter pouch was a bit dusty upon opening which could have been cleaner considering the delicate filters.

Weight wise they seem very much the same as the original UV filter. My P3 pro camera was never 100% balanced out the factory when turned off ; the nose seems to dip down with the stock UV filter on. Quite common I hear so I'm not worried about it. With the taco-Rc filters installed, the behaviour is exactly the same as stock. But it's only when the aircraft is turned off.

One thing I noticed is when screwing in the filters, they don't screw in as "smoothly" as the stock UV filter. The metal is probably not polished as much, and it's a little scratchy when screwing in, but nothing too hectic so I'm not worried about that.

Haven't tried the filters out yet with the camera turned on, but so far so good!

Very nice post on the taco rc nd filter set.....please post your thoughts on this set after you have had a chance to really use them....

My taco-Rc multi-coated filters arrived today.

Thanks for this! Very useful.

Based on what you've said so far, the Neweer sound much more superior as the threads are perfect, as is the weight, and they are easy to clean either off or on. The quality is spot on, and the branding on the side of the filters makes them look pro; the Taco's seem to lack this.

I sent Polar Pro filters back as there was glue inside the lenses - I read other people having done the same.

Of course image field performance is what truly counts so I'm keen to know how they perform.

Thanks again.

UK

Thanks for this! Very useful.

Based on what you've said so far, the Neweer sound much more superior as the threads are perfect, as is the weight, and they are easy to clean either off or on. The quality is spot on, and the branding on the side of the filters makes them look pro; the Taco's seem to lack this.

I sent Polar Pro filters back as there was glue inside the lenses - I read other people having done the same.

Of course image field performance is what truly counts so I'm keen to know how they perform.

Thanks again.

UK
No problem. Don't get me wrong, they screw in fine, but the "sound" of it doesn't sound as smooth as the stock phantom filter. Probably simply just not polished as much. I don't think it's a biggie though. I'm also not sure about my comment about cleaning them on or off the phantom. But I am going to stick to cleaning it on the phantom just in case..

Personally I'm put off by the adjustable ND filter of the neewer. For one I imagine it's heavy, and secondly I would prefer knowing exactly what ND I am using at any one time. I'm not too worried about the branding personally (apart from that horrid gimbal lock sticker [emoji23]). As long as I can distinguish between what ND filters i'm using, I'm happy!

Will report more back when I have used the filters, but I do not anticipate there being any issues.

I also have a set of these and have found them very good .

ND8 filter for me as the sun this time of years not to bright here in the UK that is when it actually comes out! - Use manual - 100 ISO and around 60-80 shutter speed... not bad !! You get good ground and nice sky/clouds. Prob. go for a 16 in Summer. But you do need to post process to get the best images, you won't straight off the camera but its pretty decent :)

Personally I'm put off by the adjustable ND filter of the neewer. For one I imagine it's heavy, and secondly I would prefer knowing exactly what ND I am using at any one time. I'm not too worried about the branding personally (apart from that horrid gimbal lock sticker [emoji23]). As long as I can distinguish between what ND filters i'm using, I'm happy!

I bought a set of these Neewer filters. They are labeled for specific ND 4,8,16 & 32.

Amazon - Neewer ND Filter for Phantom 3

I have yet to actually use them, hopefully tomorrow. The quality seems very nice, came in a carrying case similar to TacoRC's, but with a clearer hard plastic case.

Reactions: arizeda
Personally I'm put off by the adjustable ND filter of the neewer. For one I imagine it's heavy, and secondly I would prefer knowing exactly what ND I am using at any one time.

The fader (adjustable) seems as light as the other non-adjustable filters - point being it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'm kind of put off by the fixed filters! With the adjustable I can fine-tune the filter until I get a perfectly balanced exposure reading (zero). If I was to use a fixed filter, the chances are it's not going to balance my exposure as good. I know the light changes during a flight, but the fine-tuning seems to be the most precise method of getting the exposure as close to zero as possible.

I think the potential for development in ND filters is absolutely massive, especially ones that can automatically adjust themselves, like having a photosensitive coating.

UK

I am looking into a set of ND filters myself. I am not a professional photographer/videographer and am trying to figure out what filters for what situations etc. I'm sure there will be some trial and error involved on my part. I have attached a clip from a recent early morning video where the camera was directed right at the sunrise. Just curious what some of you would use in this situation ND8, ND16? Would like a balance of getting the awesomeness of the sun without totally losing the less lit surroundings and color. Do many of you do some sore of post processing as well?
vlcsnap-2016-05-06-10h40m57s586.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20