ND and Polarizing Filter Installation?

Reaction score
I just ordered the Polar Pro 3-pack of ND and polarizing filters for my P3-Pro. Does anyone have any idea how these might be installed on my P3P?
Polar Pro doesn't actually have the "Install" instructions up yet.
It looks as if the lens cover on the P3P screws off, but I'm really afraid to put any pressure on any part without knowing what I'm getting into.

Search the forum on how to remove the lens cap. Most reco a rubber band with moderate grip

Reactions: bobomet
I'm still battling the stupid thing. I've broken 2 rubber bands and now it looks like I'm headed to WalMart to buy some string so I can attempt this method... http://forum.dji.com/thread-14931-1-1.html
Oh Wow!
I was afraid this might be tricky .....
But I did read where gripping the cap too tightly might actually tighten it, even as turning counter-clockwise.
Strange .....

Did you use anything to grip onto it?

Mine came right off as well. I think the trick is to not pinch really hard with two fingers like you'd normally remove a uv filer form a camera lens, but get a larger surface area to twist with. I gripped it all the way arround. Like making an ok sign with your hand.

I'm having the same issue and I tried to heat up the lens with a blow dryer for a couple of seconds in rotation and the glass cracked :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    917.1 KB · Views: 667
I'm having the same issue and I tried to heat up the lens with a blow dryer for a couple of seconds in rotation and the glass cracked :(

That sucks! Fortunately you can get a new one on dji's website. For what they are charging Id probably just buy the polar pro set though.

I actually removed mine today after struggling with it for a while. I found that the trick was to grip it right at the very edge, where the glass is. Put as much of the pressure as possible on the front edge of the metal, and not on the actual wall of the cap, where the threads are. Putting pressure on the threads I think causes friction that counteracts your twisting efforts.

Yea, righty tighty, lefty loosey with a gentle grip on the front of the lens cap.:cool:

Nice find!

That sucks! Fortunately you can get a new one on dji's website. For what they are charging Id probably just buy the polar pro set though.
The irony of the entire thing is that I was taking off the stock UV filter to test my new Polar Pro's that came in today. It's already broken so I should just go for the gusto because I'm not buying a UV filter for $38 and I probably won't ever use it because when I should it's broad daylight and I need to use ND's I rarely shoot at sunrise or sunset.

Last edited:
After much patience(aka frustration) and taking everyone's advice it came off like butter if you grip the filter by the threads and slight turn. On the downside I have to buy a new UV Filter for $38 from DJI but in the meantime I will use my PolarPro ND's and Polarizer Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Reactions: Allezdada and jlo
OK ... after a few tries, I did put a rubber band around it and bore stepped up my pressure a little, and it loosened nicely.
Everything, including the UV, looks good.
Thanks lots for the help folks!

Ya applying pressure as evenly as possible is the ticket. Try using your non dominant hand. Worked for me. [emoji3]

Reactions: bobomet
I just ordered the Polar Pro 3-pack of ND and polarizing filters for my P3-Pro. Does anyone have any idea how these might be installed on my P3P?
Polar Pro doesn't actually have the "Install" instructions up yet.
It looks as if the lens cover on the P3P screws off, but I'm really afraid to put any pressure on any part without knowing what I'm getting into.

I used a rubber jar opener. Works great. It is a thin piece of rubber, and can be purchased anywhere that sells kitchen related items.
Do NOT apply too much pressure. The threads are fine, and aluminium. Watch out for cross-threading.

Reactions: Rodger
Based on all the recos, I didn't want to apply too much pressure. Tried with non-dominant hand three finger method-no go. Tried new rubber glove with dominant hand- no go. Tried palm of hand with new rubber glove on the front of lens-bingo!

ND filter users....Once the ND is installed on the bird, do you leave it on forever, or have to remove it when the weather is not bright and sunny ?? How does it affect still images ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic