National Parks vs National Forrests

Reaction score
Anybody have the real low down if you can fly in National Forrests? National Parks are pretty clear, no take off or landings allowed. National Forrests are administered by the Department of Agriculture, and my searches came up empty on UAS rules concerning National Forrests.

Each National Forest has its own rules based on the forest usage, wilderness areas, trailheads, etc. For instance, in the Green Mountains National Forest, flights are unregulated as long as your not in a wilderness area or other specifically protected area such as the Appalachian Trail. In the White Mountains, many additional areas are restricted, within a certain distance of all trails, trailheads, roadside waysides, the Kancamagus Highway, areas along Bear Notch Road, etc. It is best to contact the main ranger station for each National Forest you are planning on visiting and see what there individual rules and restrictions are.

Parks are out. Forests are in. Never saw any restrictions other than contained protected wilderness areas or the occasional sign if there's a picnic area or things like that.

Reactions: TontoFAC
National forests are land that's owned by the government for the people's use in various ways. With the appropriate permits, you can hunt, cut trees, pan for gold, camp, graze pigs, etc.

In national parks, the park is the use the land is put to. They're places come come and look at and spend time in, and the rules are stricter, to make sure they stay nice to look at. Hunting and logging permits are not issued.
Not what I asked.

Each National Forest has its own rules based on the forest usage, wilderness areas, trailheads, etc. For instance, in the Green Mountains National Forest, flights are unregulated as long as your not in a wilderness area or other specifically protected area such as the Appalachian Trail. In the White Mountains, many additional areas are restricted, within a certain distance of all trails, trailheads, roadside waysides, the Kancamagus Highway, areas along Bear Notch Road, etc. It is best to contact the main ranger station for each National Forest you are planning on visiting and see what there individual rules and restrictions are.

I wouldn't want to be a test case, however:

Wilderness areas:
  • The “rule” is not included in the FARs, which are the regulations governing flight in the U.S. Instead, it’s described in the AIM, which is informational in nature.
  • The language of the “rule” says that “Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet above the surface…” Surely you can’t confuse a “request” with a “requirement.”

National Parks & Wildernesses strategy:
take off & land on road shoulders where they
border, not where they are within...
NEVER disturb wildlife...

Anybody have the real low down if you can fly in National Forrests? National Parks are pretty clear, no take off or landings allowed. National Forrests are administered by the Department of Agriculture, and my searches came up empty on UAS rules concerning National Forrests.

Here in New Hampshire, for example in the White Mountains, you are banned from flying a drone in the national forest.

Last edited:
I spent approximately 10 minutes going through White Mountains home page and did not find any reference prohibiting flying. I have searched others as well. Does White Mountain post signs?
I wouldn't want to be a test case, however:

Wilderness areas:
  • The “rule” is not included in the FARs, which are the regulations governing flight in the U.S. Instead, it’s described in the AIM, which is informational in nature.
  • The language of the “rule” says that “Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet above the surface…” Surely you can’t confuse a “request” with a “requirement.”
Flying UAS for Fun on National Forest System Lands | US Forest Service This is from the National Forest home page.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
When you are at the entrance to the National Forrest, check at the Ranger Hut. Normally, you will also see signage at the parking lot.

When you are at the entrance to the National Forrest, check at the Ranger Hut. Normally, you will also see signage at the parking lot.
Thanks, I was asking the question so that I can research before leaving the house. I don't live close to any national forrests. Osmosis has a great link.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik