mystery-drone-illegally-flies-over-fenway-during-red-sox-game

Good news, Boston police says they caught him, and that the pilot is a juvenile. Hope they fine the kid, incredibly irresponsible move that he should be held accountable for

What model Phantom? Hey? Did you ever get the EVO, that you said you had on pre order?
Nope. Canceled the preorder as I had unexpected medical issues to deal with. One day though, one day... ;)

Reactions: xspwhite
"What if someone flies and doesn't get air clearance " You mean illegally?
Well illegally is not so bad there are thousands crossing the border illegally and
it looks like that's no problem! So why would they worry about some drone!
Who enforces these drone flying laws? I have never seen a enforcement officer
for the FAA!

Well illegally is not so bad there are thousands crossing the border illegally and
it looks like that's no problem! So why would they worry about some drone!
Who enforces these drone flying laws? I have never seen a enforcement officer
for the FAA!

"This incident shows why the federal government must mandate a remote identification system for airborne drones as soon as possible" - Adam Lisberg, Dir. of Communications DJI.

If they make an identification system, what does that mean for pilots? What if someone flies and doesnt get air clearance, but they are flying pretty low, scanning the sky, being safe, they going to fine that person now? It's equivalent to putting trackers in cars, and then fining them for speeding.

In my opinion, that's not surprising that he would say that. I believe that their long term plan is to get out of the consumer market and go totally industrial/large entity. For Amazon, medical delivery services or even Pizza Hut, to buy a bunch of drones for autonomous use, they have to have remote id for everyone else constantly reporting positions to avoid them. Concentrating on those big industrial drones, and a system to manage them, is where I believe DJI appears to be headed, which is a smart move, with the consumer market starting to dry up a little.
Thus, their participation on the FAA boards and their insistence on the need for remote ID. It isn't about safety, it's about money.

DJI's mistake though, is not understanding that the US and State governments are huge potential clients and they are not going to allow drones working for them to send their data (pictures and coordinates) to some unknowable place on the interwebs. The connected apps would have to go!

It's going to knock a lot of us out of the sky, because I'm sure the required upgrades for the transponders ain't gonna be cheap.

In my opinion, that's not surprising that he would say that. I believe that their long term plan is to get out of the consumer market and go totally industrial/large entity. For Amazon, medical delivery services or even Pizza Hut, to buy a bunch of drones for autonomous use, they have to have remote id for everyone else constantly reporting positions to avoid them. Concentrating on those big industrial drones, and a system to manage them, is where I believe DJI appears to be headed, which is a smart move, with the consumer market starting to dry up a little.
Thus, their participation on the FAA boards and their insistence on the need for remote ID. It isn't about safety, it's about money.

DJI's mistake though, is not understanding that the US and State governments are huge potential clients and they are not going to allow drones working for them to send their data (pictures and coordinates) to some unknowable place on the interwebs. The connected apps would have to go!

It's going to knock a lot of us out of the sky, because I'm sure the required upgrades for the transponders ain't gonna be cheap.

There's no way that DJI is exiting the consumer market - it makes far too much money for them. Various Government agencies already have measures in place to allow the use of DJI equipment to resume so, barring unforeseen further developments on that front it's not likely to be a problem.

There's no way that DJI is exiting the consumer market - it makes far too much money for them. Various Government agencies already have measures in place to allow the use of DJI equipment to resume so, barring unforeseen further developments on that front it's not likely to be a problem.
I just happen to disagree. Demanding that everyone buy expensive retrofits for their drones, is not the action of someone wanting to protect the consumer drone market. It requires raising your price point on new ones, which reduces the available of pool of buyers at that price point. Also, anything based on an app that connects to the internet and sends data packets, is not secure...period. It may be perfectly legitimate and completely harmless, but it can never be proved to be so. It will always leave a question as to what they are sending and why. Again, just my opinion...

Approx 100 violent crimes happened that day in Boston. Only few arrests were made.
I’m sure drone over baseball game is almost as violent. Agenda wins again.

Reactions: P3P
I just happen to disagree. Demanding that everyone buy expensive retrofits for their drones, is not the action of someone wanting to protect the consumer drone market. It requires raising your price point on new ones, which reduces the available of pool of buyers at that price point. Also, anything based on an app that connects to the internet and sends data packets, is not secure...period. It may be perfectly legitimate and completely harmless, but it can never be proved to be so. It will always leave a question as to what they are sending and why. Again, just my opinion...

Right - I didn't realize that you were thinking that such a requirement would require retrofitting equipment. That's not going to happen. But the DJI aircraft are already broadcasting telemetry and so there is nothing to stop that technology being implemented via an Aeroscope type solution, which would require nothing more than a firmware update and could be incorporated into new equipment. I doubt that inexpensive consumer drones will ever get ADS-B.

If this would have happened in Australia, most locals would have eyes closed in a choir like single voice would have agreed that for safety reasons we must chase the dare criminal and lock him up, register all drones and pay a fee to the government as that would make the world a safer place.

Sent from my ALP-L09 using PhantomPilots mobile app

My guess is there is very little in the way of technology for identification that a high school wiz kid couldn't undue. I think prosecution and stiff penalties for intentional doing something that could be very dangerous would be more of a deterrent versus penalizing everyone (added cost) for the actions of a few.

Now in Canada starting June 1 you need to register your drone with transport Canada . put you I’d number on the drone and take a pilots course to fly drones

Now in Canada starting June 1 you need to register your drone with transport Canada . put you I’d number on the drone and take a pilots course to fly drones

Is this for all drones (registration number) regardless of size weight? And will the piloting requirement be for all drone flights regardless of size/weight and location for flight?

If they put chips in the drones for ID, people will just disconnect them. Sounds like the olde illegal tv dish thing. Education and responsibility is the answer in a free society. Not control.

Reactions: 99203 jack

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic