my super cheap DIY antenna mod

These are the specs of ARGtek Antenna:
Antenna Argtek:
1x 7dbi dual band 2.4/5.8
2x WiFi 2.4 7dbi

I do remember that 2.4/5.8 Antenna y for RC controller and both 2.4 are for video downlink, so you can take this as a point of reference to build one.

I just had a look at your antenna you purchased its dual band which is 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz .. this might not work for range but will work for wifi ,,

reason it might not work is because the remote transmitter is 5.725 GHz – 5.825 GHz,

and your antenna stops at 5.0ghz . it does not go beyond that ...

this is just my opinion taking in account the specs that's on the box and the specs of your antenna

o well its worth a try let me know whats the outcome I just hope im wrong and you get fantastic range ..
im hoping you get about 1000m

I think that's only an error/simplification because the european standard covers 5.15–5.725 GHz, anyway I think that the antenna hardware is the same and it should work in all that range.

We will see if it works once it will be here :)

and your antenna stops at 5.0ghz . it does not go beyond that ...

It doesn't actually stop, it just becomes less efficient [at radiating].

In extreme cases damage to the transmitter can occur if the mismatch is too severe.

Reactions: Nabzo
I think that's only an error/simplification because the european standard covers 5.15–5.725 GHz, anyway I think that the antenna hardware is the same and it should work in all that range.

We will see if it works once it will be here :)

Ok awesome let us know how it goes.

I'm looking forward to the results.

Ok awesome let us know how it goes.

I'm looking forward to the results.

the antenna is arrived and it fits ok, I've checked the connection and it seems to work, unfortunately I could not make a test due to bad weather conditions.

I hope to make the test in the next days

the antenna is arrived and it fits ok, I've checked the connection and it seems to work, unfortunately I could not make a test due to bad weather conditions.

I hope to make the test in the next days

keep us posted on the results ;)

send some pics also if you don't mind

Hi guys, I've been out in Norway with the drone until 2 days ago, so I was not able to answer before.

The result of the big omni antenna is not very good, I mean it is better than the stock of course, but I prefer to use the small panel.

I've tried only a couple of times and I did not reached even 1000mt, but it was dropping way before it.

I'm looking for doing other tests as soon as I can to verify that.

I did the same mod today and I ended with a very strange result!!!
I tried it near my home(full of wifi and signal losses)
Stock antennas : 10m height
Two big 10db antennas : 17m height
No antennas (only sma) : 14m height
Two small 5db antennas (came with the cables) :45m height until first signal loss!!

WTF???

Obviously I kept the last setup.The 10db antennas brand is "Tenda" and I'm certain that every maker names and rates these types of products,as he wishes....

Two small 5db antennas (came with the cables) :45m height until first signal loss!!

WTF???

Obviously I kept the last setup.The 10db antennas brand is "Tenda" and I'm certain that every maker names and rates these types of products,as he wishes....

that is very strange to me... maybe those antennas does not have the gain they advertise it is possible... I don't know, but you had a very poor performance in all three tests.

I think you should try in another zone with no other wifi signals or interference...

For example: yesterday I went to a remote beach accessible only via a trail, I've done a litchi mission over the water to reach another beach and the phantom went far to 1.3-1.4km, I always had full video bars with my 6db antennas.

I did not mention that with 5db antennas,I went up to 50 meters.

As I wrote before the place is full of blocks of flats.My phone found over 20 wifi routers in the area.

In remote places with stock antennas I have flown up to 140m height and over 250 meters in distance without problems.I only have the bird a few weeks and I haven't tried it so much.

Keep in mind that I have the CE (Europe) version.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

WTF???

Antenna Gain is achieved by beam shaping or directivity of the radiation.

If you are just buying based on dBi with no understanding of the antenna's radiation pattern then you will continue to experience 'strange results'.

Big cities with lots of wifi sux!Today at my grandma's village.Windsurfer+5dbi omnis.At this point I lost video for the first time.Its about 2750ft.

e16db019b22bd93ae9537fdc4a04bb6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Very cool mod! Thanks for the video. I'm thinking about this one for my bird

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi guys, I've made a DIY antenna mod to my p3s in a very cheap way.

I have not yet tested the mod in good weather conditions, but the improvements are very noticeable.

Let me know what you think

here it is the video of the installation:

and the video of the first test with bat weather:

So, you are Thomas Farina ??

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I found your videos on youtube search for weeks. . . But i still curious with the result of your mod when the weather is good. I haven't find it. . .

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I did other tests with good weather but not in the same location. Only one time I reached 1800mt over the sea but I was not recording the app so no video of that...

Now I sold the p3s and I got a p3a :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl