My SRP Filters come in today

D

DrewFlies

What do I need to know before putting these bad boys on? Is there a circular sweet spot like their GoPro filters?

Can't comment as you didn't specify which filters. However, the best advise is on their website. It's repeated on the forum here also including some demo videos. Try a quick search for snake river

Can't comment as you didn't specify which filters. However, the best advise is on their website. It's repeated on the forum here also including some demo videos. Try a quick search for snake river
I bought all 3. The ND8, the ND8/CP and the ND16/P

Are these srp brand slip on or whole new screw on replacing UV. I see multiple types of amazon..also, how's the weight on these?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have the nd8/cp.

Great quality but a PITA to install and remove. Be careful to hold the gimbal with your other hand when removing or installing. Also, it feels pretty heavy on the front. I counter balanced with a quarter velcroed to the back and a dime velcroed to the side of the gimbal.

No need to counter balance, the gimbal can hold the weight. Also my horizon is straight as possible....after the proper calibration

What do I need to know before putting these bad boys on? Is there a circular sweet spot like their GoPro filters?
Only the CP filter has a sweet spot. If you have a CP for your GoPro it works exactly the same way. The only advice I could give may be quite obvious, but make sure the Phantom is powered off. After you've installed then power the phantom up and do a gimbal calibration for safe measure.

I have the nd8/cp.

Great quality but a PITA to install and remove. Be careful to hold the gimbal with your other hand when removing or installing. Also, it feels pretty heavy on the front. I counter balanced with a quarter velcroed to the back and a dime velcroed to the side of the gimbal.
Hey here's a quick fix to the installation being a little tough. I posted this earlier on another thread.....

"LOL... Yep... really tight and almost a "pressurized" feeling right? I've already made this comment to SRP a few days ago. They are now notching the o-ring to allow air to escape relieving the vacuum pressure when installing and uninstalling on the camera lens. (This company really listens to their consumers!)

AT YOUR OWN RISK BUT I QUICK AND EASY SOLUTION: I personally did this to all my existing filters o-rings with an exacto knife. Remove the rubber o-ring. Just pinch the o-ring together to create a tight curve on an outside edge. Then on that little curve or bend, shave off a tiny bit (1-2 mm) of the rubber o-ring creating a "leak" where air can escape. Took me about a minute for each of my filters. Now mine slide on and off with minimal effort while staying snug and safe for flight."

Hope this helps.

Here's the new SRP - Graduated ND16-8 test

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's the new SRP - Graduated ND16-8 test

Were you provided free filters by SRP to review or are you affiliated with this company in any way?

Were you provided free filters by SRP to review or are you affiliated with this company in any way?
No sir. Not "affiliated" in any way. Long time customer asked to be a beta tester, yes. If I test and like a product I'll share my findings with others. If not.... it goes back to the company.

I hold my nd8 cp up and rotate and note the darkest position at 12. I mark that with a sharpie. The nd16 cp was too dark for my liking in overcast skys. Haven't tested it in full sun yet but the nd8 cp is pretty good. I had a gel filter under the factory cap. I noticed that if you take out the black o ring, the uv can be removed. I might remove it and screw it back on and use the SRP

I hold my nd8 cp up and rotate and note the darkest position at 12. I mark that with a sharpie. The nd16 cp was too dark for my liking in overcast skys. Haven't tested it in full sun yet but the nd8 cp is pretty good. I had a gel filter under the factory cap. I noticed that if you take out the black o ring, the uv can be removed. I might remove it and screw it back on and use the SRP
Then you're in for a treat. I didn't think the ND16 would be as useful as the ND8. Man I was wrong. In full sun the ND8 isn't enough to keep the shutter speed down to a natural rate. The ND16 was perfect.

Here's a test I did with the ND16CP in full sun....

Hey curious, what shutter speed with the nd8 or nd16 are you liking? I don't like motion blur, so less than 1/60 I don't usually go

Nice video. I see a range of 50-100 on the speed

Then you're in for a treat. I didn't think the ND16 would be as useful as the ND8. Man I was wrong. In full sun the ND8 isn't enough to keep the shutter speed down to a natural rate. The ND16 was perfect.

Here's a test I did with the ND16CP in full sun....
If you had to choose between the ND16/CP and the ND16-8 graduated to purchase, which would it be? I like how with the graduated you can expose for the sky and clouds while keeping the bottom half of the frame light and vibrant but judging by your videos the ND/16 CP makes the clouds pop more and the sky looks better.

If you had to choose between the ND16/CP and the ND16-8 graduated to purchase, which would it be? I like how with the graduated you can expose for the sky and clouds while keeping the bottom half of the frame light and vibrant but judging by your videos the ND/16 CP makes the clouds pop more and the sky looks better.
Man Opcon, that's a tough call. They both do very different things.

The ND16CP is wonderful for making the footage more rich. Sky and cloud separation is in credible. Not to mention that beautiful "black mirror" effect you can get on water since it filters out the glare. I've found the ND16 a must have for full sun. The ND8 just isn't dark enough to get the shutter speed down to an acceptable speed for cinematic results.

The GND's biggest strength is how it flattens out the shot so you're not constantly trying to decide, "Do I expose for the sky or land?" Plus I've found that the "graduation" itself is so well engineered and subtle, that when shooting straight down you don't get a shot the "looks" darker on top than the bottom.

All things said and done, If I had to pick one I'd go for the ND16CP as it's a dual purpose filter.

Reactions: Opcon
Hey curious, what shutter speed with the nd8 or nd16 are you liking? I don't like motion blur, so less than 1/60 I don't usually go

Nice video. I see a range of 50-100 on the speed

I shoot at 24fps so my goal is to keep it at 50 with the ND8 and ND16. But it's usually 50-100-ish depending on the lighting.... so yeah good eyes on ya!

I shoot at 24fps so my goal is to keep it at 50 with the ND8 and ND16. But it's usually 50-100-ish depending on the lighting.... so yeah good eyes on ya!
Thanks. I try to let the histogram work for me. Normally I can see the iPad well enough because of glare

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31