My review of the P4p+ Obsidian

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I did not buy it, read the posts I made. I would just like others to know its limitations. No harm in that. No need for anyone to get defensive.

Thanks, as someone else mentioned I don’t actually shoot in 1080 a lot, usually in 4K, but I did use it for one video and had no problems...

Well, I'd suggest you did have problems, you just didn't notice them. :) If you have a bright white line along the horizon in 1080p, that's because the sharpness settings are all permanently stuck at +2, whatever value you actually select.

Just try -3 Sharpness in 2.7k and 4k and it's very soft. Do the same in 1080p: still sharp and with that brightness halo around dark objects against a light background. Might not spot on a small screen, but put on a large TV and...yikes! :(

Well, I'd suggest you did have problems, you just didn't notice them. :) If you have a bright white line along the horizon in 1080p, that's because the sharpness settings are all permanently stuck at +2, whatever value you actually select.

Just try -3 Sharpness in 2.7k and 4k and it's very soft. Do the same in 1080p: still sharp and with that brightness halo around dark objects against a light background. Might not spot on a small screen, but put on a large TV and...yikes! :(
It’s not that I didn’t notice them, they just weren’t there..thanks anyway

It’s not that I didn’t notice them, they just weren’t there..thanks anyway

Then your P4Pro is truly unique and you definitely want to hold on to that one. Or sell it for a fortune. ;)

There are no Phantom 4 Pros that do not have this problem in 1080p. DJI have said they'll look into it and might (don't hold your breath) fix it, but if they do it'll be very,very quietly. Or more likely it won't happen because: P5, or P4Pro v2.0 to worry about.

I think the problem has been: people don't know what they're looking for. Once they see it they can't unsee it, but as the camera in the P4P is better than that in the P4 - and P3 before that - people just accept each level of improvement as "good enough". It's still broken though.

Then your P4Pro is truly unique and you definitely want to hold on to that one. Or sell it for a fortune. ;)

There are no Phantom 4 Pros that do not have this problem in 1080p. DJI have said they'll look into it and might (don't hold your breath) fix it, but if they do it'll be very,very quietly. Or more likely it won't happen because: P5, or P4Pro v2.0 to worry about.

I think the problem has been: people don't know what they're looking for. Once they see it they can't unsee it, but as the camera in the P4P is better than that in the P4 - and P3 before that - people just accept each level of improvement as "good enough". It's still broken though.
Or most people are happy with the default sharpening, and aren't into pixel peeping...;)

Or most people are happy with the default sharpening, and aren't into pixel peeping...;)

By 'most' you mean all the people you've asked, or just you? :)

You can personally be happy with the sub-standard results of a non-functioning feature, but that doesn't obviate the fact that it's not working as it should. Not wanting better quality is entirely your prerogative, but I will continue to hold DJI to a higher standard and maybe we'll get the progress that you're not interested in; although I'm not holding my breath and have my own workarounds in place, which my clients appreciate.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

George Bernard Shaw,

Question please....
Can the Pro 4 plus be used to pre plan flight routes or do i need to actually fly the route and mark way points? KP

I hope this has been cleared up for you by now, but i didn't see it posted here...YES you can. I used a Obsidian 4 and DJI GS Pro software to plan at least 20 photogrammetry missions last fall.... flawless performance.

By 'most' you mean all the people you've asked, or just you? :)

You can personally be happy with the sub-standard results of a non-functioning feature, but that doesn't obviate the fact that it's not working as it should. Not wanting better quality is entirely your prerogative, but I will continue to hold DJI to a higher standard and maybe we'll get the progress that you're not interested in; although I'm not holding my breath and have my own workarounds in place, which my clients appreciate.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”

George Bernard Shaw,
Clearly, this is a personal gripe of yours, and not one that the masses are still concerned with, because, if it were, you wouldn't have been the first to make such a big deal about it, over 18 months after the release of the P4P. Even you admit that you don't expect it to be changed at this late stage, and you already have your own workarounds. As long as you are already getting the final results you want, and everyone else is getting the results they want, can't we just move on? :cool:

P4 pro+ Is a waste of money. Wasted hours loading apps as posted to get 3rd party apps to work, playstore will not work no matter what, not allowing anything else to run, tried Litchi, Drone Deploy, and several others. Need to fly planned routes for business. This is not the right drone for the task. POS. DJI really screwed this one up! SOOOOOOOO lame of them to offer GS Pro mapping app that only runs only Apple systems and not their overpriced Crystal Sky. Worst marketing bungle I have ever seen.
Bashing something because it does not fit your needs is immature at best. I love my P4P+ Obsidian. It's a great Drone!

Reactions: Timinator
Bashing something because it does not fit your needs is immature at best. I love my P4P+ Obsidian. It's a great Drone!
It's not the P4P aircraft that is the problem. It is the P4P+ RC, which can be replaced for $319 with a standard P4P RC, which has no issues whatsoever, and runs either the standard iOS version or the standard Android version of GO 4, instead of the buggy, customized Android GO 4 embedded into the P4P+ RC FW. YMMV. :cool:

It's not the P4P aircraft that is the problem. It is the P4P+ RC, which can be replaced for $319 with a standard P4P RC, which has no issues whatsoever, and runs either the standard iOS version or the standard Android version of GO 4, instead of the buggy, customized Android GO 4 embedded into the P4P+ RC FW. YMMV. :cool:
I use both iso and Android with no issues at all on the p4.... Have never had any issues with the systems on the p4p+ either....

I use both iso and Android with no issues at all on the p4.... Have never had any issues with the systems on the p4p+ either....
Welcome to the Forum. As a new member, you may not be aware of the past history of the P4P+ controller issues over the last 18 months. Neither of generic GO 4 versions for Android or iOS (iso is a camera setting) for the P4P or the P4 are at issue. It has only been the custom Android P4P+ GO 4, which is necessarily integrated into the RC+ firmware that has been problematic. One issue, with the P4P+, among many, is that, until a few weeks ago, it has never before supported any third party apps. Use the Forum search feature for the history of the P4P+ for an eye opening experience.:cool:

Welcome to the Forum. As a new member, you may not be aware of the past history of the P4P+ controller issues over the last 18 months. Neither of generic GO 4 versions for Android or iOS (iso is a camera setting) for the P4P or the P4 are at issue. It has only been the custom Android P4P+ GO 4, which is necessarily integrated into the RC+ firmware that has been problematic. One issue, with the P4P+, among many, is that, until a few weeks ago, it has never before supported any third party apps. Use the Forum search feature for the history of the P4P+ for an eye opening experience.:cool:
Thank you... yes I am well aware of the difference between iso and ios... simply a typo. I have 45 years RC aircraft experience, 50 years photography, 20 years RC helicopter and 12 years of drone. While I am new to this site, I am not new to RC. If you actually read my comment you would realize I was not arguing that in the past/present there were issues. I simply stated "I" have not experienced any issues in the 5 years I have been a DJI owner.

Thank you... yes I am well aware of the difference between iso and ios... simply a typo. I have 45 years RC aircraft experience, 50 years photography, 20 years RC helicopter and 12 years of drone. While I am new to this site, I am not new to RC. If you actually read my comment you would realize I was not arguing that in the past/present there were issues. I simply stated "I" have not experienced any issues in the 5 years I have been a DJI owner.
Understood. I clearly did read your comment, which apparently wasn't proofread by you. ;) Just clarifying that while you may not have experienced any issues with the P4P+ (which was unnecessary unless you were also implying there weren't any issues), as a late adopter, you clearly weren't one of the early owners, who waited a full 5 months for the very first GO 4 RC+ FW update, while the P4P iOS GO 4 had already had at least 4 updates, as the P4P+ owners languished in buggy-ville. If you want a truly happy DJI experience, never buy any brand new DJI product until at least six months to a year after its release. On that we can surely both agree! :cool: On the P4P+, that would be 18 months, if you needed to use Litchi, which you apparently didn't.

Reactions: ravedog
Clearly, this is a personal gripe of yours, and not one that the masses are still concerned with, because, if it were, you wouldn't have been the first to make such a big deal about it, over 18 months after the release of the P4P. Even you admit that you don't expect it to be changed at this late stage, and you already have your own workarounds. As long as you are already getting the final results you want, and everyone else is getting the results they want, can't we just move on? :cool:

Again, you claim to speak for others. And again: you're wrong to do so. How about: you keep your standards to yourself, and I'll keep mine to myself and neither of us claim to speak for anyone else? I'll report bugs and DJI will prioritize them according to whatever arcane method they choose and we wait and see? I'm surprised you're not more annoyed with DJI, considering they messed up SRT files for you.

You make me finding it first - I doubt I am, but if others came up against arguments like you've offered, maybe they gave up trying to get DJI to notice it?- sound like it's a bad thing. It's actually a sad reflection on the quality that people accept from DJI. Or, those that are knowledgeable about the problem and the partial workarounds, just let everyone else stay uninformed and take advantage of their fuller understanding of the problem and produce better work for their clients as well? Maybe you scared them away with your attitude? There is a similar discussion over on the Mavic board where people are mistaking sharpness for focus. Luckily, that's just lack of knowledge, which can be corrected with education, and there isn't that particular fault in the Mavic Air. Others, but not that.

You however, know better; you just choose to want to have the last word in minimising the problem. If you're not bothered, then why keep commenting? I am bothered, so I keep commenting. Which approach is attempting to educate people, so they can also attempt to encourage DJI to get a move on with the fix (squeaky wheel gets the grease), attempt workarounds, or at the very least: be prepared to test the heck out of the P5 when it comes out? Or are you also going to be first in line on that with "I don't care, I don't use 1080p anyway"?

Reactions: Rick218
Again, you claim to speak for others. And again: you're wrong to do so. How about: you keep your standards to yourself, and I'll keep mine to myself and neither of us claim to speak for anyone else? I'll report bugs and DJI will prioritize them according to whatever arcane method they choose and we wait and see? I'm surprised you're not more annoyed with DJI, considering they messed up SRT files for you.

You make me finding it first - I doubt I am, but if others came up against arguments like you've offered, maybe they gave up trying to get DJI to notice it?- sound like it's a bad thing. It's actually a sad reflection on the quality that people accept from DJI. Or, those that are knowledgeable about the problem and the partial workarounds, just let everyone else stay uninformed and take advantage of their fuller understanding of the problem and produce better work for their clients as well? Maybe you scared them away with your attitude? There is a similar discussion over on the Mavic board where people are mistaking sharpness for focus. Luckily, that's just lack of knowledge, which can be corrected with education, and there isn't that particular fault in the Mavic Air. Others, but not that.

You however, know better; you just choose to want to have the last word in minimising the problem. If you're not bothered, then why keep commenting? I am bothered, so I keep commenting. Which approach is attempting to educate people, so they can also attempt to encourage DJI to get a move on with the fix (squeaky wheel gets the grease), attempt workarounds, or at the very least: be prepared to test the heck out of the P5 when it comes out? Or are you also going to be first in line on that with "I don't care, I don't use 1080p anyway"?
I let others speak for themselves. Their silence on this issue speaks volumes.
We rarely hear from the satisfied owners. Those with problems eventually find their way here. In 18 months, you are the first to report this bug that I know of, among 90,000 members. Your bug reporting is appreciated. However, screaming about it won't help. In fact, it usually has the opposite effect. It alienates those who might agree with you, and might otherwise want to help. The delivery here is just as important as the message. We all have our own gripes about DJI. However, once I have a workaround, and DJI has been made aware of the issue, I move on. If you are so unhappy with DJI, stop buying their products. However, we both know that they are still better than anything else available, so we continue to buy them, and find workarounds to their limitations for our own uses. You have also availed yourself of all the parameter mods too, so enjoy the best that DJI has to offer. I don't proclaim to know better. I am just being pragmatic, and prefer to enjoy the half full glass, rather than complaining about the half empty one. :cool:

I let others speak for themselves. Their silence on this issue speaks volumes.
We rarely hear from the satisfied owners. Those with problems eventually find their way here. In 18 months, you are the first to report this bug that I know of, among 90,000 members. Your bug reporting is appreciated. However, screaming about it won't help. In fact, it usually has the opposite effect. It alienates those who might agree with you, and might otherwise want to help. The delivery here is just as important as the message. We all have our own gripes about DJI. However, once I have a workaround, and DJI has been made aware of the issue, I move on. If you are so unhappy with DJI, stop buying their products. However, we both know that they are still better than anything else available, so we continue to buy them, and find workarounds to their limitations for our own uses. You have also availed yourself of all the parameter mods too, so enjoy the best that DJI has to offer. I don't proclaim to know better. I am just being pragmatic, and prefer to enjoy the half full glass, rather than complaining about the half empty one. :cool:

Silence has no meaning. How many people think you're a genius? <crickets> Hard to say what the consensus is either way.

I'll agree that what does tend to alienate people is having to read me repeatedly explain that your opinion about the importance of the issue has no effect on the facts of the matter. And I recall just exactly how much help you were when I first reported it. A big fat zero. Actually more like a minus 10. "I don't care because I don't use that mode anyway" was what you said several times. Which was as useful as a vegetarian repeatedly commenting on a thread about the best way to cook steak.

So, to borrow a page from your book, where you keep on telling me how I should be making people (other than DJI, who now finally know) aware of this matter, so they can investigate workarounds and produce better results; or how many times you think I should mention it: why don't you just stop posting about it? Or is that reflexive need to have the last word just too much of an impulse to resist? You know it is, I've seen some of your other posts...just gotta have that last word. ;)

And you just "move on" and enjoy the half-full glass? How's that working out for you with the .SRT file problem? :D

As for me: "Hello, waiter? I could do with a top up here. Thanks and Cheers!" :)

Silence has no meaning. How many people think you're a genius? <crickets> Hard to say what the consensus is either way.

I'll agree that what does tend to alienate people is having to read me repeatedly explain that your opinion about the importance of the issue has no effect on the facts of the matter. And I recall just exactly how much help you were when I first reported it. A big fat zero. Actually more like a minus 10. "I don't care because I don't use that mode anyway" was what you said several times. Which was as useful as a vegetarian repeatedly commenting on a thread about the best way to cook steak.

So, to borrow a page from your book, where you keep on telling me how I should be making people (other than DJI, who now finally know) aware of this matter, so they can investigate workarounds and produce better results; or how many times you think I should mention it: why don't you just stop posting about it? Or is that reflexive need to have the last word just too much of an impulse to resist? You know it is, I've seen some of your other posts...just gotta have that last word. ;)

And you just "move on" and enjoy the half-full glass? How's that working out for you with the .SRT file problem? :D

As for me: "Hello, waiter? I could do with a top up here. Thanks and Cheers!" :)
Actually, the lack of conscensus that your reported 1080p issue is a huge problem for everyone else is significant. It's not even a problem for you any more. You have a workaround, now that you are aware of the issue. Same for me with the .SRT files. You have successfully reported the issue to DJI. They are now aware of it. Whether and how they choose to deal with it is now in their court. Go flying! That's what I'm about to do! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers