My Phantom 2 fell from the sky yesterday?

Reaction score
Hello,
I am very new at this, but yesterday, on my 14th flight , (4-month old Phantom-2 with GoPro),...I heard a strange noise , like one of the engines was squealing in the air, (i'm assuming it was overheating) then about 3 minuets later, just started dropping,.. spun down to the ground in an eccentric type of spin, (as if three of the 4 props were still going trying to right the craft)....it wasn't a "dead-drop"

When I found it in the bushes, one of the engines/motors had actually gotten so hot it melted the screw-holes that mount the motor to the Phantom, (the 4 on the bottom of the arm, (the same that would also secure prop-guards))....so they are big wobbly/melted open holes now

So everything seems to work, yet this one engine./motor seems to have melted-out of the phantom,I can post some pics,...just wanted to know if this is a common occurrence with the Phantom, and if there is any way to save this Quad?,....Thanks -Dave

Sounds like you need to replace the shell and a motor. Check you get the right direction motor when you order.

You should also try and determine the cause of the motor failure ? Is it possible that there was any debris ingress - e.g sand ? Does the motor still turn by hand? Are there any parts missing from it - like a retaining clip at the bottom of the shaft.

There is also the possibility that the motor may have damaged its ESC so you may need to order one of those whilst you are at it.

Pictures please.

Reactions: cjmwales
Hello,
I am very new at this, but yesterday, on my 14th flight , (4-month old Phantom-2 with GoPro),...I heard a strange noise , like one of the engines was squealing in the air, (i'm assuming it was overheating) then about 3 minuets later, just started dropping,.. spun down to the ground in an eccentric type of spin, (as if three of the 4 props were still going trying to right the craft)....it wasn't a "dead-drop"

When I found it in the bushes, one of the engines/motors had actually gotten so hot it melted the screw-holes that mount the motor to the Phantom, (the 4 on the bottom of the arm, (the same that would also secure prop-guards))....so they are big wobbly/melted open holes now

So everything seems to work, yet this one engine./motor seems to have melted-out of the phantom,I can post some pics,...just wanted to know if this is a common occurrence with the Phantom, and if there is any way to save this Quad?,....Thanks -Dave

I often hear a squealing noise when my phantom is yawing, but all my motors are rotating normally, there isn't any play in the shafts & it's done this from day 1 without any ill effects.

I'd hazard a guess and say that the ESC attached to that motor is fit for the bin. A failing esc can cause some odd things to happen (including noises). I don't pretend to fully understand the physics behind three phase brushless motors but it would seem that an under-performing ESC can produce odd harmonics.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it sounds like you need a new shell, a new ESC and a new motor just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: capt charlie
Hello,

Hi Dave,

I too, am new to all this as well, so please take this post with a rather large grain of salt. But if I had to hazard a guess, with just the information you gave...

...I'd suspect you removed old prop guards, used the same long screws to put back in, and they contacted the motor causing all that excessive heat - especially the screws - since you noted the holes as being most effected.

Again, pure speculation on my part.

So look at the base of the motor in question, as well as the screws that came out of it.

- Do the ends look very shiny like they were in contact?
- Are there irregular contact/wear patterns anywhere?

If it's squealing. It's probably a bad bearing. When you land, you should feel the bell housing on the motor. It should be warm but not too hot to touch. And each motor should be similar to the other. If one is very hot, bad bearing. It sounds like the OP had a full on bearing failure.

If it's squealing. It's probably a bad bearing. When you land, you should feel the bell housing on the motor. It should be warm but not too hot to touch. And each motor should be similar to the other. If one is very hot, bad bearing. It sounds like the OP had a full on bearing failure.

+1.

Before putting the props on, I rotate the bell housings to make sure they are free and able to spin nicely. I also grip the threaded portions & give them each a wiggle.

In between battery packs I'll feel them for temperature too.

Does DJI issue guidance for inspection intervals for these motors?

This is for Phantom 2 Discussion, the video you posted is for something other than Phantom 2, which I own. But, regardless of model type, it sounds like your motor is hitting the end of screws, that is the high pitched whine your hearing because metal is hitting metal. I don't know what the model of Quad you posted in the video is, but when things run perfect, they have a definite sound which you have to become extremely accoustomed to in short order. If the sound does not match your base line hearing from past experience, then you have a definite problem and from the video, that is the case. Just reason out what you know from past experience with your quad to what is causing problems and often time the solution you already know. Leave no stone unturned in your thinking and remembering, trust your senses.

Hi Dave,

I too, am new to all this as well, so please take this post with a rather large grain of salt. But if I had to hazard a guess, with just the information you gave...

...I'd suspect you removed old prop guards, used the same long screws to put back in, and they contacted the motor causing all that excessive heat - especially the screws - since you noted the holes as being most effected.

Again, pure speculation on my part.

So look at the base of the motor in question, as well as the screws that came out of it.

- Do the ends look very shiny like they were in contact?
- Are there irregular contact/wear patterns anywhere?
I think you might have hit the screw on the head! ;) The prop guard screws are a bit longer and he could have mixed just one screw up to cause that.

I think you might have hit the screw on the head! ;) The prop guard screws are a bit longer and he could have mixed just one screw up to cause that.

He said on Tuesday he did not have prop guards.

Wait why do people keep suggesting that my engine, motor was coming in contact with a long screw from a prop guard????,..I never installed prop guards, (they are for kids and girls), This is a straight from the factory flown many times,...nothing changed?????
..and I didn't post any video od a non-phantom quad,....I did not post a video at all????

OK so what are the best up=gtrade engines for a phantom 2 since replacing one engine seems stupid
No it is not stupid. If one motor is unserviceable, replace it.

You should stick with the same motor that you replace. If you have three motors that are the same then throw in a fourth one that is different, it will cause you problems.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.