My P4 Range Blows

It seems in order to get some good range you have to :
Fly in the middle of nowhere, or in a desert
Fly over open ocean, or large body of water

Reactions: maseman88
Here's a few suggestions to maximize distance:

1. Set your transmission quality to 4mbps
2. Check your RC channel radio interference. Manually choose a channel with the least interference. The channel hack providing 24 more channels helps find a quieter channel.
3. Try slipping on a windsurfer parabolic reflector set, one on each antenna. It's inexpensive and doesn't void the warranty. Works well. I got 15,000 the other day with my P4 using windsurfer, see below.

NOTE: I have found that flying around other Phantom pilots will take ALL channels from very quiet to very busy. This doesn't make any sense to me why two pilots can't manually select a separate channel and not interfere with each other. What happens when two pilots are near each other, the Go app will state poor communications in red font, deterring you from wanting to fly. Two times with someone flying Phantom nearby I've had issues, even when flying in automatic channel mode. I need to experiment more on this issue, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue.

View attachment 48731

When looking to select a quite channel, should I select one with a green bar, or one with no red or green bars? I'm very happy with the results I've gotten with the windsurfer I started using

Patience P4 guys patience.... Give them some time to correct the issue. I have seen some real distance guys go a long long way with p4

I'm sorry but DJI reduced the P4 range with the hardware, not software, to my knowledge.

And I'm pretty sure 3.1 mile 5 km is the new standard FCC compliant "range" regardless of transmitter wattage. It really bothers me.

So I have a achy feeling DJI won't be fixing P4 range. It's how they intend it to be going forward. And I am pretty sure most other drone corporations will follow suit.

Any confirmation from DJI technicians?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jack1926
So, on the website, when looking at specs from the controllers, it says the P3P is like 20dbm and the P4 is 23dbm now, from an audiophile guy I seem to remember 3db being twice as strong, or weak, depending on which way you go. The CE rating was worse, 17 to 16 respectfully. So that should mean the P4 hardware in the RC is putting out double the power?
Now I don't know, I have a W322A I just bought with a 300B controller(new in the box at Best Buy with the newer motors, weird setup I got for sure) I am thinking of returning for the P4, I'll even lose my free battery in the process, you guys got me thinking now... I don't fly long range, even though I've got the dang DBS mod on one remote.

I'm sorry but DJI reduced the P4 range with the hardware, not software, to my knowledge.

And I'm pretty sure 3.1 mile 5 km is the new standard FCC compliant "range" regardless of transmitter wattage. It really bothers me.

So I have a achy feeling DJI won't be fixing P4 range. It's how they intend it to be going forward. And I am pretty sure most other drone corporations will follow suit.

Any confirmation from DJI technicians?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
If you ever watch the guy at the kitchen table all he ever talks about is line of sight. He even gave away ITELITE range extender because it would be useless to him, and now the United States has the same law, so I was pretty much expecting it. I know everybody doesn't like to chop their stuff up, but it might not hurt to look into some upcoming range extending antennas that are hidden as much as possible. Made especially for the P4 with light Bridge. I really believe that this is going to become a norm for the future, and there's no way to avoid it light bridge or not. As much as I hate to say that!! I do you know that will never ever sell my P3 Pro for that reason and I'm very aware they can turn it down in the app just the same but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. I know I'll take all of these issues times 10 over the fact that you cannot even start up your Motors unless you're literally almost 5 miles away from any Airport with a product made by YUNEEC. I recently learned how much of the map in just South Carolina was completely blacked out with no fly zones. It blew my mind, and I'm still mind blown about it. I can't imagine why that company would do that to themselves. They could just put a rock-solid 100 foot altitude in the programming instead of turning all of their uavs into awkward steady grip cameras, and camcorders. I recently acquired one comma and it was a huge letdown when I went outside in the first thing that showed up on my screen when I got a satellite connection was no fly zone in bold letters. I'm a long way from the airport. At least 3 miles. I had to get in my truck and drive for almost 15 minutes away from my property and the airport in a B-Line Direction before I could get that no fly zone off of my screen. I literally had the quad turned on inside of my truck with the transmitter sitting on my console the couch I thought that map had to be at least a mile or two larger than reality. It was actually the opposite. The map wasn't accurate by about a thousand feet!!! I stopped just a few feet out just to make sure it wasn't necessary to reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevMo Photog
Patience P4 guys patience.... Give them some time to correct the issue. I have seen some real distance guys go a long long way with the p4

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes, you beta testers are performing an excellent service. Keep it up folks! We're depending on you.

....chunks

P4 8,633ft
P3A 20,654

Same GL300A Controller
P4 then P3A back to back.

It blows, it's getting sold. I am kicking myself in the head for not buying a brand new P3A W322 (v1) on eBay for $658 yesterday.

Not to resurrect currently inactive threads, but my P4 controller, as well as my P3A (the newest model available "B" version) both have GL300C controllers, NOT "A"....
Also, I just bought mine from Best Buy Thursday, and I immediately updated firmware before launch, and updated the app to 2.7.2, and I am getting equal distance to my P3A without hesitation.

Last edited:
Three words Talked me out of Even Considering the Yuneec H. "No Fly Zones." Absolutely Ridiculous ones At That:/

Same here, I tested their NFZ maps in my area. I have a SMALL airport about 7 - 8 miles from me. Just a local airport, the kind that of small craft capable of 30+ people at a time, MAYBE, from here to STL airport or Chicago so they can get on a bigger plane.. so when I say small, I mean SMALL! lol DJI's NFZ for this particular airport is the 3 miles surrounding area type, but Yuneec's is into my front yard and beyond slightly, so I couldn't even hover in my front yard! Ridiculous indeed!

Last edited:
I have a P3P with a B RC and a P4 with a C RC. Flew in a very opened area (desert/farm) away from any HUMANS and their interference.
P3P/B combo have passed 3 mi one way no problem.
P4/C combo got alarms at about 1 3/4 mi
With an Inspire C RC have flown both birds and no problem at all, only limited by the battery.
P3P over 8 mi round trip
P4 over 7 mi round trip (interrupted by LEO) told us to move out.

Same here, I tested their NFZ maps in my area. I have a SMALL airport about 7 - 8 miles from me. Just a local airport, the kind that of small craft capable of 30+ people at a time, MAYBE, from here to STL airport or Chicago so they can get on a bigger plane.. so when I say small, I mean SMALL! lol DJI's NFZ for this particular airport is the 3 miles surrounding area type, but Yuneec's is into my front yard and beyond slightly, so I couldn't even hover in my front yard! Ridiculous indeed!
It is DEFINITELY is a Problem whether anyone has noticed it, or not yet. I just Do Not see how they can Expand Their Products Much More Considering their Ridiculously Outrageous NFZ'S. They Need To atleast Adjust them to say the least!!! Make it A 100 Ft Ceiling!! ANYTHING!?!? The Motors Not Arming without disconnecting the Satellite wire inside of the Transmitter Will Not Cut It For Me.

I just wanted to add that I have the upmost respect for ALL Commercial, and Private Air Traffic!!! You cannot put a price on human life!! YUNEEC'S No Fly Zones almost appear to be some type of a Awful VIRUS someone implanted inside of Yuneec's Software Programming. IDK??

Like I mentioned on another post I strongly believe that it is a matter of time before DJI apply limitations through firmware upgrades once any legislation is pass.I do not think that the safety board will rely on the owners discretion to keep flying within legal parameters ..,,so wait for new forums with "how to Jaillebrake your drone"
That will be interesting !

That sucks you guys are getting crappy range with your p4. I fly from my back porch and have rock solid signal . I'm only limited by the battery . But of course I'm using a DBS panel which is by far the best antenna on the market . I fly low and I don't worry too much about aiming . I couldn't be happier . My p3 could never go as far with the stock battery as my p4 can. But the p4 does take more practice in order to understand how to fly it efficiently .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl