My new NVIDIA Shield K1

After nearly two weeks of struggling with video stream lag (jitter) I finally decided that the Galaxy Tab A just didn't have enough horsepower, even after running the OS thin. I'm going on almost a week now with the K1 and it's screaming. I still thinned the OS even though other users have reported they did not have to with theirs. For comparison, I loaded my wife's iPad Pro 9.7 and from what I can tell, the K1 performed better. Admittedly, I was taken by the size of the 9.7 screen but it also cost $850 versus $200. Now I'm just awaiting my Manfrotto D1 and I'll be on the move!

View attachment 53827
The Shield is a fine fine tab. especially for the money and although the CPUs of both operate on a similar GHZ, the Pro is higher and is a better, much better component not to mention it has the M9X along with it, which the K doesn't even have and for the Gyros and Electrometers are a GodSend when flying. Using the Pro 9.7 is a much much better option that using the K1 IMO. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the K and it's the best for the money, but not the best. I've tried both and got the Pro 9.7 and wouldn't change it, mainly because the M9X along with the A9X, plus it's Apple, and I love Apple. So all things being equal, and the only quality, and it's major that the K1 has over the 9.7 Pro (or the other pro for that matter) is price. It's honestly not as good as the Mini 4 even but it's closer.

I've been using the Tab A with no overhead problem shooting 4k video. What problem did you encounter? Only problem, even with DJI sun shade, is glare. Anyone tried anti glare screens or sun shade like hoodman?

Honestly, my favorite part of the 9.7 Pro is the screen. You can't see any sunlight bounce off it. I used it the other day with the sun pounding on it without a sunshade and no sunglasses. It wasn't ideal, but I could easily make out every letter on screen what I was looking at video wise. With any previous tab, on that day, at that moment, I would have seen nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chopstix Kid
The Shield is a fine fine tab. especially for the money and although the CPUs of both operate on a similar GHZ, the Pro is higher and is a better, much better component not to mention it has the M9X along with it, which the K doesn't even have and for the Gyros and Electrometers are a GodSend when flying. Using the Pro 9.7 is a much much better option that using the K1 IMO. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the K and it's the best for the money, but not the best. I've tried both and got the Pro 9.7 and wouldn't change it, mainly because the M9X along with the A9X, plus it's Apple, and I love Apple. So all things being equal, and the only quality, and it's major that the K1 has over the 9.7 Pro (or the other pro for that matter) is price. It's honestly not as good as the Mini 4 even but it's closer.

Besides the screen (brighter and less reflective) there is nothing "better" about the Pro 9.7 over the Shield K1. The tablet needs speed, GPS, and a compass, which both have.

And the screen is not worth the $550 price difference, imo.

And the K1 has native HDMI out, which the Pro 9.7 doesn't. That's worth an extra $100 alone.

I bought a Shield K1, or more like Wonder Woman insisted because my iphone didn't have enough screen she could watch over my shoulder. Anyway, It works like a charm, stores video & pics as you take them (along with the drone) so you have redundancy, and it hasn't lagged yet. Decent battery life and recharges with a 2a charger quickly. Great screen color and the K1 makes a great tablet not just for drone flying, but for email, etc. I use mine with direct connect to my Phantom 3A. However, it works good on wifi should I be using it on my Phantom 3S. I couldn't be happier with it.

Besides the screen (brighter and less reflective) there is nothing "better" about the Pro 9.7 over the Shield K1. The tablet needs speed, GPS, and a compass, which both have.

And the screen is not worth the $550 price difference, imo.

And the K1 has native HDMI out, which the Pro 9.7 doesn't. That's worth an extra $100 alone.
Firstly, "the tablet needs GPS, compass, K1 has both" is like saying "a computer needs a motherboard and a CPU, graphics card and monitor", my Apple IIe has all of them, I'm good. Never mind, that there is not actually a compass in your phone but rather a set of electromagnemeters that create a fake compass. But forgetting that, and again, I love the K1 but after an extensive search to run my Phantoms and Inspire better, I decided to really dig into looking into tabs. Money not being an object, and of course it is, there isn't a better one than the Pro 9.7 (unless too big) than any other IMO. Moving on....

The K1 does not have a separate CPU for the electromagnemeters and gyros, etc. M is for motion so your comment isn't exactly true. As I said, the "K1 is the best for the money but not the best".

And no, not just for the screen.

Here is what the M CO-PROCESSOR in addition to the A9X which is the fastest tab on the market (I think, if I'm wrong, it was a mistake but either way, the designers of apps when creating for iOS know exactly what they are designing for which is why Apple stuff runs so smoothly), along with the M9X.

Now aside from its speed, here is what no other tab on the market has, and that's a co-processor (another dual processor for specific purposes making 8 total cores).

This is what the K1 doesn't have over the screen. Mind you, I'm not saying it's worth the extra money but to me it was/is. I've flown with the K1, feels like every other tab. The Pro is the first tab where I can feel the difference flying.

The Apple M7 (codename Oscar), M8, and M9 are motion coprocessors used by Apple Inc. in their mobile devices. Their function is to collect sensor data from integrated accelerometers, gyroscopesand compasses and offload the collecting and processing of sensor data from the main central processing unit (CPU). The M7 was introduced in September 2013 with the iPhone 5S[4][5] and the updated version, M8 was introduced in September 2014 with the iPhone 6 and also processes data from the barometer that is included in the iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2.[6][7] September 2015 brought the M9 motion coprocessor embedded within the A9 chip found in the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, and within the A9X chip found in the iPad Pro.[8][9]

And specifically the M9X

The Apple A9X is a 64-bitARM basedsystem on a chip (SoC) designed by Apple Inc. It first appeared in the iPad Pro, which was announced on September 9, 2015 and was released on November 11, 2015.[6] The A9X has the M9 motion coprocessor embedded in it, which had not been before. It is a variant of the A9and Apple claims that it has 1.8 times the CPU performance and 2 times the GPU performance of its predecessor, the A8X.[7]

[11] In addition to servicing the accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, and barometer, the M9 coprocessor recognizes all movement of attached apps and hardware devices.[12]

The M-series motion coprocessors are accessible to applications through the Core Motion API introduced in iOS 7, so they do, for example, allow fitness apps that track physical activity and access data from the M processors without constantly engaging the main application processor, and recently to hardware such as RC vehicles. They enable applications to be aware of what type of movement the user is experiencing, such as driving, walking, flying, running, or sleeping.[13][14][15] Another application could be the ability to do indoor tracking and mapping.[16]

So yeah, sorry, the K1 is awesome for the money, again the best for the money but no, not the best just because of the screen. That said, the screen is, in fact worth the price of admission alone.

***Im sitting here on vacation at the Hyatt with a pina colada in one hand and typing this in the other. Something wrong with me.

Last edited:
iOS allows for 2x digital zoom. I'm hoping they add it to the Android version
Why, if you want 2x digital zoom, scale in your editing app 2x. Literally no difference. I'm done updating until things stop working as everything is rock solid at the moment and I don't even recall a dig zoom on my iOS device.

Optical zoom, different story. Digitizal zoom does nothing other than show you the framing of the shot if you were to zoom in on it.

Furthermore, if you do a digital zoom in 1080P, you'll actually degrade the image. In 4K, you have exactly 2x the space to zoom in digitally and not lose any resolution at 1080p.

If you zoom in digitally 2x at 4K and render at 4K, you might as well be shooting on a Palm Pilot.

Why, if you want 2x digital zoom, scale in your editing app 2x. Literally no difference.

Because I'm new at this and I don't really have a lot of time to spend with post-processing so typically I just trim and publish. If I had time, I would likely try to defy genetics and fight my early stages of physical transformation into Homer Simpson hahahaha.

My only real complaint of the K1 is screen brightness.

So, that extra co-processor handling the sensors makes a big difference? Doubt it.

I've never had a problem with the compass or GPS on the K1, I know where the P4 is at all times, and it knows where I am.

IMO, neither the co-processor nor the screen quality is worth the extra $550 (not including it doesn't offer HDMI out).

Does your P4 and/or Inspire fly better because you use the Pro 9.7? Curious.

Reactions: Lerroy
So, that extra co-processor handling the sensors makes a big difference? Doubt it.
? Curious.
The main purpose of the M9 processor is to save power when the screen is off and the main processor cores are in standby. This is not relevant when the tablet is in active use, and then in fact probably very slightly increases power consumption. There's nothing very novel about putting lots of special purpose processors/DSPs in a cellphone or tablet chip - it's been done for years.

Because I'm new at this and I don't really have a lot of time to spend with post-processing so typically I just trim and publish. If I had time, I would likely try to defy genetics and fight my early stages of physical transformation into Homer Simpson hahahaha.
Lol! That got a laugh out of me.

If you are not bringing it into an editor, that's even more of a reason to not to a digital zoom.

Example: shoot something at 4k (UHD, not 4K actual). Zoom in 2x, you export at 1080p from your editor, zero degradation loss. If you zoom in at 4K, 2x and then that's it, the image degradation is just terrible and you shouldn't do it.

If this doesn't make sense, PM me and I'll give you my number and explain it more clearly.

I've never had a problem with the compass or GPS on the K1, I know where the P4 is at all times, and it knows where I am.

IMO, neither the co-processor nor the screen quality is worth the extra $550 (not including it doesn't offer HDMI out).

Does your P4 and/or Inspire fly better because you use the Pro 9.7? Curious.
Yes.

The main purpose of the M9 processor is to save power when the screen is off and the main processor cores are in standby. This is not relevant when the tablet is in active use, and then in fact probably very slightly increases power consumption. There's nothing very novel about putting lots of special purpose processors/DSPs in a cellphone or tablet chip - it's been done for years.
To save power? Do you guys just make stuff up?

This makes no sense, the M means "motion" and did you disregard this part and no I didn't say that it was the first tab to do it but the M9X is by far the best.

"[11] In addition to servicing the accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, and barometer, the M9 coprocessor recognizes all movement of attached apps and hardware devices.[12]

The M-series motion coprocessors are accessible to applications through the Core MotionAPI introduced in iOS 7, so they do, for example, allow fitness apps that track physical activity and access data from the M processors without constantly engaging the main application processor, and recently to hardware such as RC vehicles. They enable applications to be aware of what type of movement the user is experiencing, such as driving, walking, flying, running, or sleeping.[13][14][15] Another application could be the ability to do indoor tracking and mapping.[16]"

Lol! That got a laugh out of me.

If you are not bringing it into an editor, that's even more of a reason to not to a digital zoom.

Example: shoot something at 4k (UHD, not 4K actual). Zoom in 2x, you export at 1080p from your editor, zero degradation loss. If you zoom in at 4K, 2x and then that's it, the image degradation is just terrible and you shouldn't do it.

If this doesn't make sense, PM me and I'll give you my number and explain it more clearly.

No no, I get it totally. I worked in IT for nearly 20 years so I've picked up some photo/video editing knowledge along the way. It would have come in handy today though... I was at the park with my 4 year old and he wanted to see himself on the display. Unfortunately he has sensitive hearing and I couldn't get the bird at a close enough hover for him to really enjoy it. Since the zoom is a function at the P4, it seems pointless not to have it in the Android version.

Reactions: Jussaguy
No no, I get it totally. I worked in IT for nearly 20 years so I've picked up some photo/video editing knowledge along the way. It would have come in handy today though... I was at the park with my 4 year old and he wanted to see himself on the display. Unfortunately he has sensitive hearing and I couldn't get the bird at a close enough hover for him to really enjoy it. Since the zoom is a function at the P4, it seems pointless not to have it in the Android version.
Can't argue with that logic. Probably just a matter of time.

Bottom line is, at $199.00 the K1 is the best bang for the buck. It outperforms any other tablet in the $200 market (at least the ones that I have used). It also has an HDMI output so for those that want to pipe it to an external display, boom. I'd say it may even rival the iPad Mini 4 at $399.00. Although I do wish I had picked one up when BB had them on sale for $299.00 a couple of weeks ago. Close range video latency is about 7ms better on the iPad Pro (did a comparison test with my wife's Pro 9.7). I'd be curious to see how they compare at actual flight ranges.

If you're going Android, K1 hands down. If you're going iPad, nothing less than a Mini 4. If you're torn between the two, go with whatever has the features that appeals more to you. YMMV.

Reactions: Jussaguy
Bottom line is, at $199.00 the K1 is the best bang for the buck. It outperforms any other tablet in the $200 market (at least the ones that I have used). It also has an HDMI output so for those that want to pipe it to an external display, boom. I'd say it may even rival the iPad Mini 4 at $399.00. Although I do wish I had picked one up when BB had them on sale for $299.00 a couple of weeks ago. Close range video latency is about 7ms better on the iPad Pro (did a comparison test with my wife's Pro 9.7). I'd be curious to see how they compare at actual flight ranges.

If you're going Android, K1 hands down. If you're going iPad, nothing less than a Mini 4. If you're torn between the two, go with whatever has the features that appeals more to you. YMMV.
No doubt. Not even close. On a bang for your buck analysys, the K1 wins every day and twice on Sunday.

Also, I got the Pro because my daughter is a budding young artist and it's amazing to see her use that Apple Pencil and the "not seeing your hand" technology is amazing. She just turned 4 and knows how to lower the opacity, color, brush size, and she draws faces by using symmetry lines. She's a friggen genius ;) so I got it for her too. It was definitely a factor (an addition $100 factor ). It's nearly another $1000 once all said and done if you get the Apple Pencil but you can't count that. I have a lot of tabs and the Pro is the first one that makes me feel like I have a new one again. My second generation has basically became a brick after the forced download of 9.0. Half of me wants to go to Apple and say "I bought this product, and it should work until it doesn't, not until you update it until it doesn't work" but then I remember all the things Apple has done for me and I keep my mouth shut.

Best two things to fly with for me are my iPhone 6+ and my Pro. The Mini2 was a POS and I would never tell someone to get it. Also the Pro 9.7 barely feels any heavier than the mini 2 and is about the same weight as the Air.

To save power? Do you guys just make stuff up?
From Wikipedia (under Usage):
The Apple M7, M8, and M9 coprocessors collect, process, and store sensor data even if the device is asleep, and applications can retrieve data when the device is powered up again. This reduces power draw of the device and saves battery life [emphasis mine].​

The kind of application Apple originally had in mind was a pedometer or fitness tracker that could run constantly without using much power. Obviously these apps don't make sense for a big tablet, but since the processor was already there for phones, it was probably easiest to also use it in the tablets. With the M9 they added the ability to recognize the wake-up phrase. "Hey Siri" while tnhe main processors are sleeping.

From Wikipedia (under Usage):
The Apple M7, M8, and M9 coprocessors collect, process, and store sensor data even if the device is asleep, and applications can retrieve data when the device is powered up again. This reduces power draw of the device and saves battery life [emphasis mine].​

The kind of application Apple originally had in mind was a pedometer or fitness tracker that could run constantly without using much power. Obviously these apps don't make sense for a big tablet, but since the processor was already there for phones, it was probably easiest to also use it in the tablets. With the M9 they added the ability to recognize the wake-up phrase. "Hey Siri" while tnhe main processors are sleeping.
Yes. I am aware that the M CPUs, especially the ones with the "Hey Siri" functionality to not always be on, saves battery power but that is not what the M CPU is for. That's like saying the CPU of a computer is for using the calculator.

I didn't mean it to sounds harsh but no, the M CPU is made to take some leaning on the main A CPU for a lot of reasons and yes, that is one of them and it saves a negligible amount of battery power. Apologies if my response was a little strong but come on, that's not what it's for and the addition of it separates if from other tabs. That said, at a very steep price.

UPDATE: Poor display visibility on bright days, even with a shade, is sending the K1 back. I just picked up the iPad Pro 9.7 but the K1 will be missed. Tons of great features at an incredible price. Just not the right tablet for bright sunny days.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl