My new NVIDIA Shield K1

UPDATE: Poor display visibility on bright days, even with a shade, is sending the K1 back. I just picked up the iPad Pro 9.7 but the K1 will be missed. Tons of great features at an incredible price. Just not the right tablet for bright sunny days.

I was really anticipating getting a Shield K1 but I hate waiting for things on order. I went to Best Buy with full intent on getting a Samsung Galaxy S? due to positive threads about them here, but my wife said for $300.00 plus tax, I might as well get an iPad Mini 4 cellular...so I did. I'm on my 3rd flight so far, and I'm really happy.

That Shield sounded so good, especially for the price. I'm an IOS guy so I stayed with what I'm familiar with.

I was really anticipating getting a Shield K1 but I hate waiting for things on order. I went to Best Buy with full intent on getting a Samsung Galaxy S? due to positive threads about them here, but my wife said for $300.00 plus tax, I might as well get an iPad Mini 4 cellular...so I did. I'm on my 3rd flight so far, and I'm really happy.

That Shield sounded so good, especially for the price. I'm an IOS guy so I stayed with what I'm familiar with.

The K1 was the bees-knees with exception of the outdoor use issue. I know all tablets will suffer in bright lighting but this was pretty bad. I wanted to get the Pro 9.7 cellular model (for the GPS) but extra $220 (unactivated) was just too much. I weighed in all the pros/cons and in the end, my use of tablet GPS features was negligible. At least this way my kids wont have to go back to eating Ramen!

Ive been wanting to try the shield because of all the great reviews and the hdmi it has.Currently have ipad mini 1st gen that works pretty good.Well everyone knows they are sold out and used ones are selling for over 200 on ebay.Well hopped on ebay yesterday and did a search just for the heck of it and someone was selling a shield for buy it now of 110 bucks! So I bought it.It does have a small crack in screen{according to seller} but I could not see it in the pics.
If its worse in sunlight then my ipad I will just resell it.I didnt have time to research it before I bought it,was afraid someone else would buy it if I hesitated,but apparently the shields get a cracked screen very easily and theres no replacement for them{which is a bummer}

Got my shield in and tested it today.This is 1st gen,not the K-1
Tested it in bright sunlight{but sitting under umbrella} along with my ipad mini 1st gen and they were both about the same.I have anti glare screens on both.I dont care for the anti glare things,they do cut down the glare but you can see the screen so much better without them{if you have any kind of shade to hide under}
Anyway tablet worked great with no lag to speak of,had it tethered to iphone and using the on board screen recorder the Shield has.
One thing I noticed is my ipad mini has 2 mini maps,one map in each lower corner.One just shows which way the drone is pointed and the other is the map,the shield only had 1 map,it didnt have the map that just shows which way the drone is pointed.At 1 point I saw the map on shield change from one to the other but I dont know what I did to change it,is this an android thing where only 1 little map shows as opposed to 2 on IOS?

Ive been wanting to try the shield because of all the great reviews and the hdmi it has.Currently have ipad mini 1st gen that works pretty good.Well everyone knows they are sold out and used ones are selling for over 200 on ebay.Well hopped on ebay yesterday and did a search just for the heck of it and someone was selling a shield for buy it now of 110 bucks! So I bought it.It does have a small crack in screen{according to seller} but I could not see it in the pics.
If its worse in sunlight then my ipad I will just resell it.I didnt have time to research it before I bought it,was afraid someone else would buy it if I hesitated,but apparently the shields get a cracked screen very easily and theres no replacement for them{which is a bummer}

iPad mini Gen1? Can't believe that works. I will use mine as a spare then

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1