My first flight in a !!!!State Park!!! Florida - Naples

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I happen to be in Naples FL so this morning I decided to give it a try. I went very early at Delnor Wiggings Park to make my first "out of the country" flight. This is out, of the no-fly zone and park regulations don't mention anything about drones. Nonetheless, to avoid a bad start I asked at the entrance. As I expected they were a little confused, so they made a phone call and I got a ok!!!!!! Was happy about that. So I went all the way at the north end of the property, like I told them, positioned myself far from everyone (fisherman) ready to lift off. My phantom 2 was perfectly stable and I also wanted to test the new neutral filter I added to the gopro3. After 2 minutes, there he comes, the ranger!!! He politely told me there was a misinformation, but clearly the feeling was that no one really knows what rules to apply. I politely answered him that it was really bad for the park, because taking images from the sky is good for them and I would send them some photos. He turned around and told me, always politely, I could finish my filming, so that I know for the next time. So I was able to film for 10 minutes without any stress. Guys. We need to file a petition to all State Parks that should allow us, at certain hours, in certain spots, and maybe at a small fee, to fly and film. This can only do good to State parks, not so much as an extra and needed income, but I feel tourists would get more attracted to visit if they find aerial videos. In the 1.st photo I also spotted 2 dolphins.

Attachments

• Schermata 2015-05-19 alle 11.36.15.png
    Schermata 2015-05-19 alle 11.36.15.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 576
  • Schermata 2015-05-19 alle 11.38.07.png
    Schermata 2015-05-19 alle 11.38.07.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 576
Like your proposal. I support it.

if they don't have a sign, then fly, if they don't want it they will tell you as they did, same result!

In Ohio, those that have concealed carry permits, long ago learned NEVER ASK if its ok to carry at " xyz location".

It only makes "xyz location" think about something they may never had thought about before and end up making a decision you did not want.

In other words if you had just flown, they MAY NEVER of thought to dig into it deeper, if at all.

just my thoughts..

I never ask. But I don't go to state parks ether. I fly over water a lot, and when the beach patrol show up they have bin OK.

Answer to Kirk

I understand your point but I don't think this will serve our cause. If we play ignorant we should not be surprised if then people get upset when an accident happens. We better show knowledge and responsibility, and the rangers appreciated that I informed them. They have learned something new, I got my flight anyway, and I did not do any damage to the image of drone flying.

State park I dive at often told us no drones after we asked. I pointed out that of course, their default is no for any new thing you ask them about.

Be nice, ask for forgiveness rather than permission, and yes, petition if you can. Share photos and be a nice guy. And remember some a hole will come and ruin it for you later and you'll be back to hiding from Rangers and asking for forgiveness again.

Drones are so relatively new that some "authorities" make the rules up as they go along. You'd think these things have sniper rifles on them they way some folk react.

I'll continue to fly mine sensibly where I want until told otherwise.

Answer to Kirk

I understand your point but I don't think this will serve our cause. If we play ignorant we should not be surprised if then people get upset when an accident happens. We better show knowledge and responsibility, and the rangers appreciated that I informed them. They have learned something new, I got my flight anyway, and I did not do any damage to the image of drone flying.

It is not playing ignorant!
If it is NOT CLEARLY prohibited what are you ignorant off?
not sure how that applies to an accident , that can happen anywhere anytime , to correlate permission / notification with accidents is a stretch.

Don't look for things that may not be a problem is all I am saying.
If it is posted or a no fly zone like airport areas etc. that is different!

good luck and have fun flying

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.