My final flight (crash footage)

Here is a video of my final flight with my P3A. I was trying to get a shot flying low over the dam and lost situational awareness. Few lessons learned here:

Man that was some great footage you were getting - very nice job (well, until). Tough to lose her like that - I have to congratulate you however on maintaining a sense of humour when editing (re: your warning as to "graphic and disturbing video". Nicely done.

Hope you are flying again sooner rather than later.

Reactions: rmasson
Very beautiful landscape and dam... too bad the dam got in the way!
So sorry for your loss! and thank you for posting the video.
We all learn from other's losses and mistakes.
So glad it didn't go in the drink and you were able to recover the bird.
Were you able to find the camera?

Here is a video of my final flight with my P3A. I was trying to get a shot flying low over the dam and lost situational awareness. Few lessons learned here:

1.) Flying FPV backwards is a bad idea. Especially if you are flying below an altitude where there may be obstructions.
2.) I had a spotter, but didn't clearly convey my expectations.
3.) Always maintain situational awareness. I was distracted by the sun and was more concerned with the sun ruining my shot than I was about the potential collision.

Wow. Amazing subject matter. Condolences and congratulations for finding yourself a replacement so quickly.

1.) Flying FPV backwards is a bad idea. Especially if you are flying below an altitude where there may be obstructions.
3.) Always maintain situational awareness. I was distracted by the sun and was more concerned with the sun ruining my shot than I was about the potential collision.

I hate to see a drone die but I had to laugh with the editing. Beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :-(

Were you able to find the camera?

Yes. The camera was 5-10 feet from the quadcopter. The battery was also ejected and destroyed. The memory card was fine which is how I got the video. I had to recover the final file as it was not saved properly. Fortunately, I'm not the first on this forum with a corrupt video file, and I was able to run a script to save the file.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: pomonabill220
A classic example of "Target Fixation"
Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Interesting point, though I'm not sure that's what happened here. I've always understood target fixation to be when the pilot, operator becomes so fixated on the target that they unintentionally manuver towards the object (e.g. The cause of many accidents where a police officer/person is hit while in the break down lane). In this case, I wasn't actively looking at or focusing on the dam. I did have "tunnel vision" and was overly concerned with getting the shot that I wanted.

Whether it was target fixation or tunnel vision, it was certainly my error. Both causes are preventable and we as pilots should be familiar with both.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Nice shots. When did the dam have no outflow? (I'm in Sitka as well - drone paradise except for the rain).

My philosophy is that you're gonna crash sooner or later if you are pushing the envelope. Usually because of stupid mistakes. Just pick up the pieces (littering is bad, yes?) and fly again.

The only problem is convincing my wife. This, by the way, is why I don't have an Inspire. Can't wait for even more price reductions on the P3s.....

I totally feel your pain. While maneuvering my P3P a little to close to an oak tree for a shot of a lake, I didn't count on an unexpected gust of wind that pushed the tip of a branch out. I did not realize I was so close to the tree and I had backed into it for the shot. Even though I spotted it and thought there was plenty of room. The branch "just nicked" one of the carbon fiber props I had on it and it was enough to shatter the prop and send it sideways down about 40 ft to the concrete. Parts flying everywhere and lots of broken little stuff inside the bird. Fortunately I was able to repair it myself for about $150 with spare parts and a new battery compartment (the peg mounts for the ESC board broke off from the side impact) and a new body shell. The lesson I learned... stay away from trees (and carbon fiber props unless you know there will be nothing to touch them!), always be aware of the situation and you can't count on calm wind! I hated the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as I picked up all the parts. But my "newly put together" Franken-phantom seems to be OK and flying right. I'm assuming yours was a total loss and for that I am sorry.

Nice shots. When did the dam have no outflow?

I was flying on October 9th, 2016. It was my first time to Sitka and I fell in love with it. I'm currently living in Juneau which is also beautiful, but there was something about all the cool little islands and Mt. Edgecumbe that I found especially intriguing.

Sorry to see that, but when life gives you lemons, make lemonaid and part that thing out and sell the salvageable parts on ebay. Put that money towards a new one. That was some very cool video though!

Sorry for your loss. :-(

Commendable video footage and piloting skills!

My P3S took a topple, today. It's fine, but 1st crash since I started flying in March, this year; flight 151.

Hurts, but a relief; though all I need to do is clean some mud outta one of the motors.

Good to see you're planning to keep flying right along. Your future videos will be even better! Keep sharing!

Last edited:
I actually think the mainboard survived. I haven't pulled it apart yet, as I intend to sell the wreck as it is on eBay. I'm surprised at the prices some people get from wrecked drones.

The damage I can tell includes:
- All four props cracked
- Gimbal/Camera L arm sheared
- One leg of the landing gear cracked
- Numerous cracks on the upped body
- Two of the motors no longer spin freely
- Battery housing is cracked

On the plus side:

- I "think" the mainboard survived
- The lens of the camera was not scratched
- The vision positioning module looks completely unscathed
- There was no water damage

Sad that this happened. As it has been said:
"There are 2 kinds of drones....those that have crashed, and those that are about to crash". (Sad fact)

Btw, what version is your motor/mainboard?

Reactions: Allen B and rmasson
Sad that this happened. As it has been said:
"There are 2 kinds of drones....those that have crashed, and those that are about to crash". (Sad fact)

Btw, what version is your motor/mainboard?
49 flights with my P4 and loving every minute with one that's "about" to crash! Luckily, not yet.

Sorry about the loss but super video. Love the humor you put into it!

BTW, .. What did the drone say when it hit the concrete wall?....... Dam!

Sent from my XT1096 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm sorry for your loss.

By the way, unless you had an FAA COA, flying a sUAS over a dam or reservoir is a federal offense.

You may have the FAA or Homeland Security paying you a visit real soon! :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl