My 2 cent mods

Reaction score
Not really 2 cents.
These are just the little things that make flying more enjoyable.
Most of these are DIY's so cost is an estimate.
And not all these mods are mine. Some you have seen before and some are just plain obvious :)

Mod1. Cable Tied the gimbal plate. 2 cents. Notice it is NOT tight. Good replacement if you run out of Anti-Drop Pins and I think it works better in crashes.
Cable%20tie.jpg

Mod2. Glued Lens cap and Gimbal Travel Lock together with velcro so I dont lose them easily. The velcro also sticks into my camera bag.
Lens%20and%20Gimbal.jpg

Mod3. Backup USB charger that doubles as a Transmitter Stand. $10 AUD. Reaches both FPV Phone and WIFI extender for emergencies.
USB%20charger%20and%20Stand.jpg

Mod4. TK 102 GPS Tracker. $35AUD. Watch out for fakes.
GPS%20Tracker.jpg

Mod5. Numbered and Directional Labelled Props. Makes them quicker to attach.
Prop%20Numbers.jpg

Mod6. WingNut Sunshield. Easy to pack and quick to assemble.
Sun%20Shield%202.JPG

Sun%20Shield.JPG

Mod7. Wing Nut Arm Extension to suit Larger Tablets.
Large%20Phone%20Holder.jpg

Mod8. Thumb screws for Prop Guards (under testing). Hopefully this will help quick changes.
Thumb%20screws.jpg

Mod9. Additional Box padding. If you have a case that you travel with, there is a chance the gimbal lock can fall out and a chance if knocked hard enough (thrown luggage), your camera can dismount from the gimbal. The padding will minimise movement in the case.
Foam%20in%20Box.jpg

Some accessories:
Tripple Charger. $12AUD Slow but good for multiple batteries.
Multi%20Charger.jpg

Car 150W inverter. Use the exisiting house hold charger in your car. $20 AUD. DJI car charger is $120. I also use a booster/jumper pack (to start cars) and leave it in the ciggerette port charging while I fly :)
Car%20inverter.jpg

First repair:
Left Toggle Switch. $3.50 @ Jaycars. My bird was flying ATTI and HOME.
Toggle%20Switch.jpg

Toggle%20Switch%20Replacement.jpg

I hope these are helpful.

I like the mods. Have a couple of questions
1, does the sun shade really work if so, how do you attach it to the screen holder. Some photos would help. I like the fact that it comes to pieces to enable it to go into a travel case.
2, some more details on the multiple battery charger.
3, info. on the car charger please.

Mako79 said:
Mod5. Numbered and Directional Props. Makes them quicker to attach.

Ummmm...DJI already marks the motors for you.Black-capped props go on the black(actually hollow) motors and silver-capped props go on the silver motors.

Attachments

• motors.jpg
    motors.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,051
Drone996 said:
Mako79 said:
Mod5. Numbered and Directional Props. Makes them quicker to attach.

Ummmm...DJI already marks the motors for you.Black-capped props go on the black(actually hollow) motors and silver-capped props go on the silver motors.

I hear you.
Numbering and placing directions makes it that little bit less fustrating. Try doing it at night. Been doing some Vivid Light shows. Also helps assess and remember which prop is damaged or requires inspection incase your phantom flies on a tilt.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_YbSl3_1nY[/youtube]

The English Guy said:
I like the mods. Have a couple of questions
1, does the sun shade really work if so, how do you attach it to the screen holder. Some photos would help. I like the fact that it comes to pieces to enable it to go into a travel case.
2, some more details on the multiple battery charger.
3, info. on the car charger please.

1. It works :). Main piece is held by a wing nut and screw in the top arm. All fabricated at home.
Sun%20Shade%204.jpg

Packs nicely :)
Sun%20Shade%205.jpg

2. DJI Phantom 2 Vision Extend Multi Battery Rapid Charger Plate
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251502574699 ... #ht_2294wt
You need turn on the battery for it to start charging.

3. 12V DC to 240V AC 150w Power Inverter Car USB Laptop12V DC to 240V AC 150w Power Inverter Car USB Laptop
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-DC-to-24 ... 3a8f2ba1cc

Mako79, I still cannot see how you attach the sun screen. Perhaps some photos of the way you attach it without the screen in the photo so that we can see where you have the bolt attached to the phone clamp.
Thanks

The English Guy said:
Mako79, I still cannot see how you attach the sun screen. Perhaps some photos of the way you attach it without the screen in the photo so that we can see where you have the bolt attached to the phone clamp.
Thanks

Sunshield%205.jpg

It's just a hole and a wingnut in the upper arm. I used a $4 ebay one.

Nice job! You bet these are great ideas. I'm very interested in a few of them for myself. I quickly went through your post and didn't read the other comments made yet... So with that in mind, my only comment/critique is with the prop ID issue. I know that my Vision-Plus motor thread tops are colored to match the prop spindle color...from the factory that is ...
But again I want to complement you with your post & the great ideas you freely shared with us all... Nice job!!!!
Moose

:D OK so now I have read the other comments combined with visuals and I see "Drone 996" eloquently noticed and posted my comment regarding the prop ID issue made...sorry there drone996! L O L again great post & ideas!!!
Moose

Mako79 said:
Not really 2 cents.
These are just the little things that make flying more enjoyable.
Most of these are DIY's so cost is an estimate.
And not all these mods are mine. Some you have seen before and some are just plain obvious :)

You have simple & useful ideas at low costs. These are great! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing. I too will implement some of these.
"Video?" I didn't see any video. Oh, wait, the Sydney night video! I was thinking something else. Sorry for the distraction.

Tom

After extensive testing, I have to recommend against the charging blades. While sometimes they work properly, we have found a lot of instances where the batteries will false peak at If you trust that the batteries are charged and go out fo a long flight you might find yourself too far away when the battery goes. Do not trust that your batteries are fully charged, be sure and check them when using a blade.

Love the zip ties idea for securing gimbals. I made my a bit looser then the anti-drop pins. The idea is let the anti-drop pins absorbed some shocks and then finally (hopefully) stopped by the 2 zip ties I have on it.

Great ideas Mako79!

Yup, I like Mod 8.

Like Moose, I am one of the few & proud who like the prop guards and don't yet have a case for my P2V+ because of the guards. Thumbscrews may be a bit heavier, but minimal I'm sure. :?:

Jimmy

I would also think about the thumbscrews and will be investigating nylon thumbscrews (or other tool-less nylon fasteners).

As for the TK 102 GPS tracker: the thing weighs two ounces according to its specs (and that is without the additional wiring that the OP included for easy charging). Is two ounces significant to the payload capability of the P2V+? and speaking of that, at some point the add-ons will start to take payload effect. While they may not keep the bird from taking off or flying, but they will detract from battery life both from motor lift torque as well as the way the mass effects the birds maneuvering. No need to get excited about this, but I am just curious about the ultimate capabilities of the P2V+.

Another potential concern is any interference that the TK 102 might have with the electronics in the P2V+. Has there been any report of such interference, or has the OP had any curious or unknown.

Another mod that I saw somewhere else was the extension of the landing rails. This would be an excellent mod to do in combination with the camera protector (although it still has some minimal effect related to the above diatribe regarding added mass).

Anyway, I think this topic really great! Everybody wants to "pimp their ride." That's what hobbies are for!

Thanks,
Tom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik