My 2 cent mods

JamesD said:
Yup, I like Mod 8.

Like Moose, I am one of the few & proud who like the prop guards and don't yet have a case for my P2V+ because of the guards. Thumbscrews may be a bit heavier, but minimal I'm sure. :?:

Jimmy

I originally had phillips heads which meant i didnt have to rely on the torx head.
Philips%20Head%20screws.jpg

I haven't got a scale to weigh them but it should be minimal.
I have set for non-prop-guards:
Short%20Thumb%20screws.jpg

And a set for the prop guards:
Long%20Thumb%20Screws.jpg

I have coloured them because the wrong screws can seize the motor (as many have found out the hardway).

I will trial them when i get some decent sun and some time..
I like flying with props as you can see better and have addition bump insurance. I find it a nuisance to use tools to get them on and off though. In this test, I am hoping the vibrations of the motor wont exceed the amount of thumb torque...

I am sure someone will make a clip on prop guard.

Just remember, never descend straight down, props guards or not. Try and move fwd and back or swoop around in circles a circle and spiral down to minimise the VRS (jet wash). Try catch lands and make sure the wind is behind you and phantom in front and NEVER at head level or below. Always raise hands up to catch.

I like the prop guards but they wouldn't fit my case, but then I found a way to clip them on from ATLANTAHOBBY. No I'm not associated with them just passing on info.

slothead said:
As for the TK 102 GPS tracker: the thing weighs two ounces according to its specs (and that is without the additional wiring that the OP included for easy charging). Is two ounces significant to the payload capability of the P2V+? and speaking of that, at some point the add-ons will start to take payload effect. While they may not keep the bird from taking off or flying, but they will detract from battery life both from motor lift torque as well as the way the mass effects the birds maneuvering. No need to get excited about this, but I am just curious about the ultimate capabilities of the P2V+.

Another potential concern is any interference that the TK 102 might have with the electronics in the P2V+. Has there been any report of such interference, or has the OP had any curious or unknown.

Tom
Hi Tom,
TK102 weight and interferences have been a real concern and generated many posts in our french Phantom forum.
To summarize ...
Weight : does not affect that much the flight duration. May be a couple of minutes.
Interferences : many trials but no noticed impact on the Phantom behaviour. Many colleagues are using it in a repetitive mode (SMS every 30 seconds) in order to better track the bird. Even though GSM is sadly known to widely spray, no Phantom crash as a result :D
The potential negative point only comes from the TK102 where, in certain situations, the returned GPS coord are not "so accurate" (10 to 30m).
It can come from the TK mouting place and position (GPS antenna is at the top of the TK, but not easy to settle on the Phantom, top clearly aiming to the sky) but it's more likely coming from the "crash location" (moors, trees, ...). Nothing to really worry : in most of the cases, returned position is less than 3 to 5m accurate !
And I'm so convinced of its value that I'm about to pass the order :)
Phil

Drone996 said:
Mako79 said:
Mod5. Numbered and Directional Props. Makes them quicker to attach.

Ummmm...DJI already marks the motors for you.Black-capped props go on the black(actually hollow) motors and silver-capped props go on the silver motors.

I always seem to have to stare at the motor a while to figure out which it is. I've put a small dot with black or silver sharpie by each motor. Makes it much simpler for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The English Guy said:
I like the prop guards but they wouldn't fit my case, but then I found a way to clip them on from ATLANTAHOBBY. No I'm not associated with them just passing on info.
Care to show?
I haven't found a clip on solution.

philarvropagan said:
slothead said:
As for the TK 102 GPS tracker: the thing weighs two ounces according to its specs (and that is without the additional wiring that the OP included for easy charging). Is two ounces significant to the payload capability of the P2V+? and speaking of that, at some point the add-ons will start to take payload effect. While they may not keep the bird from taking off or flying, but they will detract from battery life both from motor lift torque as well as the way the mass effects the birds maneuvering. No need to get excited about this, but I am just curious about the ultimate capabilities of the P2V+.

Another potential concern is any interference that the TK 102 might have with the electronics in the P2V+. Has there been any report of such interference, or has the OP had any curious or unknown.

Tom
Hi Tom,
TK102 weight and interferences have been a real concern and generated many posts in our french Phantom forum.
To summarize ...
Weight : does not affect that much the flight duration. May be a couple of minutes.
Interferences : many trials but no noticed impact on the Phantom behaviour. Many colleagues are using it in a repetitive mode (SMS every 30 seconds) in order to better track the bird. Even though GSM is sadly known to widely spray, no Phantom crash as a result :D
The potential negative point only comes from the TK102 where, in certain situations, the returned GPS coord are not "so accurate" (10 to 30m).
It can come from the TK mouting place and position (GPS antenna is at the top of the TK, but not easy to settle on the Phantom, top clearly aiming to the sky) but it's more likely coming from the "crash location" (moors, trees, ...). Nothing to really worry : in most of the cases, returned position is less than 3 to 5m accurate !
Phil

I use mine to find in an event of a loss and have used it every flight for 2 months now.
The only time you need to call the tracker is when the phantom is on the ground or stuck up on a tree. I wouldn't ping it every 30 seconds. I don't see the need unless you were tracking speeds or mapping a course etc...
When the tracker is on, its on standby. All its doing is receiving GPS signals and locking on to cell towers.

The English Guy said:
Mako79 if you go to ATLANTAHOBBY.com and search for after dark as the manufacturer they should show up.

Thanks.
There is a mention on this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1106&start=30

Will definitely look into this.

Mako79 said:
I originally had phillips heads which meant i didnt have to rely on the torx head.

I have coloured them because the wrong screws can seize the motor (as many have found out the hardway).

I like flying with props as you can see better and have addition bump insurance. I find it a nuisance to use tools to get them on and off though. In this test, I am hoping the vibrations of the motor wont exceed the amount of thumb torque...

Just remember, never descend straight down, props guards or not. Try and move fwd and back or swoop around in circles a circle and spiral down to minimise the VRS (jet wash). Try catch lands and make sure the wind is behind you and phantom in front and NEVER at head level or below. Always raise hands up to catch.

Hi Mako79,

Where did you find the right size and length thumb screw?

Do you know what's the threshold decent speed to avoid vortex ring / prop wash with the guard on?

yawnalot29 said:
Mako79 said:

Hi Mako79,

Where did you find the right size and length thumb screw?

Do you know what's the threshold decent speed to avoid vortex ring / prop wash with the guard on?

Thumb screws are from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380894855902 ... 1423.l2649
You need get the M3x12mm.
Costing about $20 USD per 100, they ain't cheap.
For the 8mm Thumb screws, I made an 8mm depth wooden template and an angle grinder to cut them down. I used the 3mm die set to make sure the threads are correct. Last thing you want is a damaged thread on the motors.
Screw%20Die%203mm.jpg

I think I might settle for the AfterDark Quick Release/Disconnect. That was exactly what I was looking for originally.
They look promising but are out of stock and about $40 for the set not including the guards.

As for Vortex ring State (VRS) - prop wash... I think any movement in any direction except straight down is fine. Any speed is fine. Just think of urinating in the pool - if dive straight down, you're still in the mellow yellow.. just pee as you swim and you'll be fine :)

Mako79 said:
I think I might settle for the AfterDark Quick Release/Disconnect. That was exactly what I was looking for originally.
They look promising but are out of stock and about $40 for the set not including the guards.

Thanks. I checked out the video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUVGdsMgQvI

Gotta say, at $35 + cost of prop guard, that's pretty steep. I already have the prop guard, so I guess it's another $35. Seems nice.

Mako79 said:
As for Vortex ring State (VRS) - prop wash... I think any movement in any direction except straight down is fine. Any speed is fine. Just think of urinating in the pool - if dive straight down, you're still in the mellow yellow.. just pee as you swim and you'll be fine :)

HA ha ha ha ha :)

When I am descending at max speed, the forward and sideways movement seems to be lock out. I have the latest firmware (3.04 I think).

I have a mod to add. You know the nut on the thumbscrew that holds the wi-fi extender to the radio? I superglued that sucker in its hole.

philarvropagan said:
slothead said:

Tom
Hi Tom,
To summarize ...
Phil
Hi Phil,
I just ordered one too. I'm only hoping that your dimension "m" as in "10 - 30m" means meters and not miles!!!

Take care,
Tom

Tom[/quote]
Hi Phil,
I just ordered one too. I'm only hoping that your dimension "m" as in "10 - 30m" means meters and not miles!!!

Take care,
Tom[/quote]
LOL
No worry Tom, miles are too much confusing for froggies (except where I live, but it's only nautic miles) ! I 'm quite sure that you'll be closer to 5 meters than 30 miles :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj