my $10 drone camera mount

Reaction score
Hello all!! I'm back!! It's been about 7-8 months since flying my fc40.. and i have a couple things to report:

1. I fully charged my batteries (1 stock and 2 4000's). I charged them in october... and then it snowed.... I live in Edmonton alberta, so it wasn't till May that i flew again. All three batteries are in seemingly perfect condition :)

2. The reason for my post: last year i had an idea for an inexpensive 'make-it-yourself' camera mount for my fc40. I almost have it complete (missing one piece yet) and as soon as have it ready I'll post photo and video to see if it worked.

I figured to start the conversation early though. So here we go... anyone have a 'make-it-yourself' camera mount or gimbal?

Reactions: IflyinWY
Hey Mikey, welcome back. Looking forward to seeing your home-made mount. The one I use isn't home-made but it is different than most. It's a GoPro flat surface mount with a quick release buckle and a J extender. I like it because it places the camera lower and out in front more, reducing the amount of props is the picture. And it makes it easy to mount and unmount the camera from the Phantom.

FC40 with GoPro mount.jpg

Hey Woody, did I just get that camera holder with my new P1?

Any tricks to getting it to open up to get the camera in and out? I haven't tried it yet.

There is a thread here where a member made a gimbal using servos. It might be in the P1???

Hey Woody, did I just get that camera holder with my new P1?

Any tricks to getting it to open up to get the camera in and out? I haven't tried it yet.
Yes that's the same "basket" camera holder that comes standard with the P1.1.1. The nut and bolt have to be removed to take the camera out but it can be charged and plugged into the computer while it's in the basket.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Yes that's the same "basket" camera holder that comes standard with the P1.1.1. The nut and bolt have to be removed to take the camera out but it can be charged and plugged into the computer while it's in the basket.

Cool, now I don't have to RTFM... LOL :p

Hey Mikey, welcome back. Looking forward to seeing your home-made mount. The one I use isn't home-made but it is different than most. It's a GoPro flat surface mount with a quick release buckle and a J extender. I like it because it places the camera lower and out in front more, reducing the amount of props is the picture. And it makes it easy to mount and unmount the camera from the Phantom.

View attachment 22340
That's awesome!

I'm purely using the fc40 as a toy (i know that word annoys some around here), but i don't really have any professional or high quality video in mind, otherwise I'd just spend the money and get a good gimbal of sorts.. but i would love an inexpensive way to make the video from the stock fc40 mount just a little less bumpy and harsh when the phantom turns, stops, etc... so my mount will hopefully help some of that... we'll see :)

That's awesome!

I'm purely using the fc40 as a toy (i know that word annoys some around here), but i don't really have any professional or high quality video in mind, otherwise I'd just spend the money and get a good gimbal of sorts.. but i would love an inexpensive way to make the video from the stock fc40 mount just a little less bumpy and harsh when the phantom turns, stops, etc... so my mount will hopefully help some of that... we'll see :)
That's what i used to say.....about $1500 ago or so. I wish I just bought the best setup frim the start instead of wasting so much money buying and upgrading. Got lots of spare parts tho...lol

That's what i used to say.....about $1500 ago or so. I wish I just bought the best setup frim the start instead of wasting so much money buying and upgrading. Got lots of spare parts tho...lol
Pardon but why not just buy the vision plus or p3?

One of the main reasons why I did not buy the P2 was the battery. Too many stories if battery failures. I m still not a fan of the DJI proprietary battery and would prefer to have to choice to buy aftermarket batteries. The FC40 and DJI open platforms give that advantage. Right now I am using a 4000 MAH battery, but I have seen others use 5200 MAH and higher by modifying the door on their quads. I'm happy with 17 minutes flight time. It is easy to invest lots when tinkering, but thats the best part about this hobby trying out new stuff:)

Pardon but why not just buy the vision plus or p3?
I'd say one of the biggest reasons is the up front cost.. I've had my fc40 for almost a year now... it's still in great shape, I've had lots of fun with it.. and now I'm ready to spend a bit more to improve certain aspects of it.. I'll still likely be under the price of what a P2 would have been... and will have a fairly good product that i had a lot of fun with in the process of making it great... anyway, there's not argument, P2 and now p3 are much better machines.. but they cost a lot more... up front.

With the expensive machines, DJI forces you to be tied to them. There are many ways that DJI could have let consumers be in control of their birds, but that is really not the case. You would have to get an open platform ARF kit that you setup yourself or get a P1/FC40 to accomplish that. Originally I was going to go with another company, but they have yet to release their quad. I'm very happy with the FC40's I have purchased and the upgrades have made them phenomenal. From a consumer point of view though, I would like to make a purchase without having my wallet forever tied to the company. I understand it is the order of business, however, I find that notion limiting and make my purchases accordingly. Until DJI makes the expensive machines with more customizable options that I can change however I want without them, I will buy the most comtomizable choices from them which equals the P1/FC40 or the ARF kits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers