must read for all

this sucks, 150? to take a crappy test? luckily i dont use goggles

Well....if FPV (tablets/phones) becomes a part 107 requirement, I may just have to leave the hobby. Waiting on my P3A purchase until its clarified Monday.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I actually would consider leaving for that reason too.

I actually would consider leaving for that reason too.
Lets cross pur fingers that has not changed. We'll know later this morning.

Any significant updates from the press conference?

I didn't catch much but it seemed like it was about the 107. Anyone catch any changes to the "hobby" rules?

No changes to any rules, just a statement that they are looking at the human overflight and VLOS restrictions and may change them by the end of the year.

No changes to any rules, just a statement that they are looking at the human overflight and VLOS restrictions and may change them by the end of the year.

So I guess as hobbyists....we can keep on flying as long as we follow the guidelines. But thanks to the media reporting the news....the perception is ALL pilots needs licenses.

Nothing has changed as of right now in terms of "Hobby Flights". One thing to note is that the FAA has clarified and reconfirmed that if any part of your flight falls outside of hobby then it falls into Part 107 flights. Basically if ever aspect of your flight fits into the FAA's description of HOBBY then you're good to go. Any part falls outside you'd better have your Part 107 if something happens.

Nothing has changed as of right now in terms of "Hobby Flights". One thing to note is that the FAA has clarified and reconfirmed that if any part of your flight falls outside of hobby then it falls into Part 107 flights. Basically if ever aspect of your flight fits into the FAA's description of HOBBY then you're good to go. Any part falls outside you'd better have your Part 107 if something happens.

Hmmm...whats an example of flying outside of Hobby Flights?

Primarily, when your flight is not for your personal enjoyment as a hobby. Most here on this forum has taken that to mean that "you got paid", but the FAA has been issuing conflicting guidance on what this means. Some interpretation has been along the lines of "if the flight is not for your personal enjoyment, whether you are paid or not, it's commercial" and others - as in the "Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft" tie this to activity directly or indirectly related to a business - yours or someone else's - and avoids completely the kind of circumstance where you do something at someone's request for free that has nothing to do with your business.

Example: I fly my drone as a hobby and have no related business. My neighbor asks me to take pics of his roof. I do so for no charge.

The FAA has said before that this was not hobby activity and therefore must be commercial activity. They were even telling people who posted their (overtly hobby) flights on YouTube that because YouTube puts ads on the video that it was commercial activity as well! This is even after the Interpretation came out, when it should be clear that individuals are not posting videos to YouTube to further YouTube's business.

Strictly speaking, there's a lot of grey area once you are flying on behalf of someone else or to their benefit, even if it's for no pay or other consideration. If you want to be safe, be careful what you post online. If you want to be totally safe, make sure that everything you do is for your own enjoyment and not someone else's - AND don't post it online. :D

This is one of the reasons that I went for the 107. If I want to do a friend a favor, I can, without question.

Primarily, when your flight is not for your personal enjoyment as a hobby. Most here on this forum has taken that to mean that "you got paid", but the FAA has been issuing conflicting guidance on what this means. Some interpretation has been along the lines of "if the flight is not for your personal enjoyment, whether you are paid or not, it's commercial" and others - as in the "Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft" tie this to activity directly or indirectly related to a business - yours or someone else's - and avoids completely the kind of circumstance where you do something at someone's request for free that has nothing to do with your business.

Example: I fly my drone as a hobby and have no related business. My neighbor asks me to take pics of his roof. I do so for no charge.

The FAA has said before that this was not hobby activity and therefore must be commercial activity. They were even telling people who posted their (overtly hobby) flights on YouTube that because YouTube puts ads on the video that it was commercial activity as well! This is even after the Interpretation came out, when it should be clear that individuals are not posting videos to YouTube to further YouTube's business.

Strictly speaking, there's a lot of grey area once you are flying on behalf of someone else or to their benefit, even if it's for no pay or other consideration. If you want to be safe, be careful what you post online. If you want to be totally safe, make sure that everything you do is for your own enjoyment and not someone else's - AND don't post it online. :D

This is one of the reasons that I went for the 107. If I want to do a friend a favor, I can, without question.
Well anything you post online could be criticized especially on youtube and facebook. I like to share my footage to friends as much as anyone. We might as well fly without the camera and describe to friends and family what we saw.[emoji5]

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
You go online - study - take a test and are awarded your certificate. Just go to the site I listed above to get started. Register and then you'll be all set.
Oh by the way if you are not already opening the B4UFly app it is good practice to get into. It notifies the nearest airport you are flying, times and location. Just a safe practice tip.
The B4UFly app does no such thing! It notifies no one else of anything! :eek:

Anytime you are not flying just for the fun of it it may and can be considered outside of the hobby description. Your example is not hobby (roof for neighbor without pay), technically it would fall under commercial. The YT thing is the fact that anyone can monetize their videos. If you monetize them they are now commercial.

Getting a part 107 cert does not allow you to fly BLOS anyways... both recreation & work require you to be in LOS at all times. Also, I could be wrong but I don't see where flying for hobby prevents FPV if within LOS. Same as for work flights.

Reactions: Fat Daddy
The tricky part about flying as hobby seems to be the intent of the flight, as I read it.

If I'm out just flying around, recording the trip and notice that my neighbor is missing a vent from his roof, the way I read it, that's still hobby and I can even share the photos/video still as a hobbyist. This could possibly even result in the photos bring sold to the neighbor (because I'm a jerk).

When the purpose of my flight is to check for roof damage, possibly even on my own roof, it's not hobby.

Kind of like the commercial vehicle regulations in the North America

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Anytime you are not flying just for the fun of it it may and can be considered outside of the hobby description. Your example is not hobby (roof for neighbor without pay), technically it would fall under commercial.

Interestingly, when I brought this example up to the gentleman I spoke to at the FAA, he felt (correctly, IMHO) that this would NOT be commercial, but we did conclude after discussion that the language used in the Special Rule does tilt that way if strictly construed. He opined that in reality it wouldn't be an issue. He did say that some of the early cases of - shall we say - "overzealous" enforcement have been addressed through educational outreaches to the field folks from HQ.

Oh by the way if you are not already opening the B4UFly app it is good practice to get into. It notifies the nearest airport you are flying, times and location. Just a safe practice tip.

Huh?
How can it do that?

Please post a link to substantiating info. (You know, where you heard/read it.)

(This is why [at least] 50% of the stuff here is made-up, rumor, or BS)

Reactions: Monte55
Huh?
How can it do that?

Please post a link to substantiating info. (You know, where you heard/read it.)

(This is why [at least] 50% of the stuff here is made-up, rumor, or BS)

I do believe that at one time that was a desired "future" feature for the ap. To my knowledge (very limited) it was put on the shelf early on and has not come back to the surface yet.

Reactions: joet
Interestingly, when I brought this example up to the gentleman I spoke to at the FAA, he felt (correctly, IMHO) that this would NOT be commercial, but we did conclude after discussion that the language used in the Special Rule does tilt that way if strictly construed. He opined that in reality it wouldn't be an issue. He did say that some of the early cases of - shall we say - "overzealous" enforcement have been addressed through educational outreaches to the field folks from HQ.
Oh I agree... the example you gave is a non-issue. They are not out scouring neighborhoods looking for neighbors examining roofs. Typical government bureaucracy and I am sure the rules are somewhat subjective. They are pros at making grey areas that no one can navigate without a lawyer in their pocket. :D

I do believe that at one time that was a desired "future" feature for the ap. To my knowledge (very limited) it was put on the shelf early on and has not come back to the surface yet.

Fair enough Al but if I open it on my Home PC at 3 in the morning to look for info at a sight 100 miles away I want to fly at in three days???

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl