must read for all

How would one wearing goggles maintain vlos?
I dunno about that but I was referring to a setup of a screen mounted to the rc.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It still states we can fly with fpv as long as we maintain los. At least thats how I interpreted it.

That's not exactly how the FAA interprets it.

By definition, a model aircraft must be “flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft.” P.L. 112-95, section 336(c)(2).1 Based on the plain language of the statute, the FAA interprets this requirement to mean that: (1) the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator; (2) that the operator must use his or her own natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard eyeglasses or contact lenses) to observe the aircraft; and (3) people other than the operator may not be used in lieu of the operator for maintaining visual line of sight. Under the criteria above, visual line of sight would mean that the operator has an unobstructed view of the model aircraft. To ensure that the operator has the best view of the aircraft, the statutory requirement would preclude the use of vision-enhancing devices, such as binoculars, night vision goggles, powered vision magnifying devices, and goggles designed to provide a “first-person view” from the model.2 Such devices would limit the operator’s field of view thereby reducing his or her ability to see-and-avoid other aircraft in the area. Additionally, some of these devices could dramatically increase the distance at which an operator could see the aircraft, rendering the statutory visual-line-of-sight requirements meaningless. Finally, based on the plain language of the statute, which says that aircraft must be “flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft,” an operator could not rely on another person to satisfy the visual line of sight requirement. See id. (emphasis added). While the statute would not preclude using an observer to augment the safety of the operation, the operator must be able to view the aircraft at all times.

1 For purposes of the visual line of sight requirement, “operator” means the person manipulating the model aircraft’s controls.
2 The FAA is aware that at least one community-based organization permits “first person view” (FPV) operations during which the hobbyist controls the aircraft while wearing goggles that display images transmitted from a camera mounted in the front of the model aircraft. While the intent of FPV is to provide a simulation of what a pilot would see from the flight deck of a manned aircraft, the goggles may obstruct an operator’s vision, thereby preventing the operator from keeping the model aircraft within his or her visual line of sight at all times.

(https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf)

What this seems to prohibit is the use of goggles that obstruct the observer's vision. It does NOT seem to prohibit looking at the FPV on a tablet/phone as long as you can still see the aircraft.

What seems clear - and, indeed, I don't know how so many on this forum don't seem to get it (or maybe care about it) is that YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SEE YOUR AIRCRAFT AT ALL TIMES WITH THE NAKED EYE. ("the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator", "the operator must use his or her own natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard eyeglasses or contact lenses) to observe the aircraft"). This precludes these multi-mile missions that some people are apparently flying all the time where they cannot see their Phantom - or any potential hazards that it might encounter, stationary or not.

Reactions: BigAl07
I dunno about that but I was referring to a setup of a screen mounted to the rc.

I brought this up earlier in the day but don't remember getting an answer. It's going be difficult to get pilots to comply with flying within vlos when they have a tablet in front of them and a quad that can go out over a mile away. Some say they can see them at a long distance but just seeing a dot in the sky and not seeing it well enough to control it is not really vlos.

From the FAAs Website
Fly for Fun
You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely.

Before you fly outside you must:

• Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines
You must be:
  • 13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*
* Visiting foreign nationals must register their UAS upon arrival in the United States (online registration serves as a certificate of ownership).

To register, you'll need:
  • Email address
  • Credit or Debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years.

Register UAS that weigh less than 55 lbs. and more than 0.55 lbs. online

Register UAS that weigh more than 55 lbs. by paper

Label your UAS (PDF)

Safety Guidelines
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

Part 107.31 defines Visual Line of Sight
    107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
    (a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:

(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or

(2) A visual observer.
107.33 Defines Observer:
107.33 Visual observer.
If a visual observer is used during the aircraft operation, all of the following requirements must be met:

(a) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must maintain effective communication with each other at all times.

(b) The remote pilot in command must ensure that the visual observer is able to see the unmanned aircraft in the manner specified in § 107.31.

(c) The remote pilot in command, the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system, and the visual observer must coordinate to do the following:

(1) Scan the airspace where the small unmanned aircraft is operating for any potential collision hazard; and

(2) Maintain awareness of the position of the small unmanned aircraft through direct visual observation.

Reactions: cfd701
That's not exactly how the FAA interprets it.

By definition, a model aircraft must be “flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft.” P.L. 112-95, section 336(c)(2).1 Based on the plain language of the statute, the FAA interprets this requirement to mean that: (1) the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator; (2) that the operator must use his or her own natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard eyeglasses or contact lenses) to observe the aircraft; and (3) people other than the operator may not be used in lieu of the operator for maintaining visual line of sight. Under the criteria above, visual line of sight would mean that the operator has an unobstructed view of the model aircraft. To ensure that the operator has the best view of the aircraft, the statutory requirement would preclude the use of vision-enhancing devices, such as binoculars, night vision goggles, powered vision magnifying devices, and goggles designed to provide a “first-person view” from the model.2 Such devices would limit the operator’s field of view thereby reducing his or her ability to see-and-avoid other aircraft in the area. Additionally, some of these devices could dramatically increase the distance at which an operator could see the aircraft, rendering the statutory visual-line-of-sight requirements meaningless. Finally, based on the plain language of the statute, which says that aircraft must be “flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft,” an operator could not rely on another person to satisfy the visual line of sight requirement. See id. (emphasis added). While the statute would not preclude using an observer to augment the safety of the operation, the operator must be able to view the aircraft at all times.

1 For purposes of the visual line of sight requirement, “operator” means the person manipulating the model aircraft’s controls.
2 The FAA is aware that at least one community-based organization permits “first person view” (FPV) operations during which the hobbyist controls the aircraft while wearing goggles that display images transmitted from a camera mounted in the front of the model aircraft. While the intent of FPV is to provide a simulation of what a pilot would see from the flight deck of a manned aircraft, the goggles may obstruct an operator’s vision, thereby preventing the operator from keeping the model aircraft within his or her visual line of sight at all times.

(https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf)

What this seems to prohibit is the use of goggles that obstruct the observer's vision. It does NOT seem to prohibit looking at the FPV on a tablet/phone as long as you can still see the aircraft.

What seems clear - and, indeed, I don't know how so many on this forum don't seem to get it (or maybe care about it) is that YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SEE YOUR AIRCRAFT AT ALL TIMES WITH THE NAKED EYE. ("the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator", "the operator must use his or her own natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard eyeglasses or contact lenses) to observe the aircraft"). This precludes these multi-mile missions that some people are apparently flying all the time where they cannot see their Phantom - or any potential hazards that it might encounter, stationary or not.

Yeah with the FPV reference, I automatically assume tablet/phone as well. If this is the case, this should be a relief for some including me. Unless for some reason this gets revamped in the next couple of days to specifically include tablets and phones.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Yeah with the FPV reference, I automatically assume tablet/phone as well. If this is the case, this should be a relief for some including me. Unless for some reason this gets revamped in the next couple of days to specifically include tablets and phones.

Well, it seems clear that the FAA wants you to see what exists or is flying near your drone so that you can avoid collisions. So basically, they don't want you controlling the drone solely by watching FPV in any sense (tablet or goggles) since you aren't watching the airspace around the drone with the same degree of situational awareness as you would have if you were in the cockpit (and had peripheral vision, easy ability to look around, etc). So you can look at FPV to aim the camera for a photo/video, etc - but you must be able to see the aircraft and the airspace around it. Goggles prevent that, tablets/phones don't.

When I look in my crystal ball, however, I see knuckleheads winding up using FPV exclusively and having accidents, and the FAA eventually cracking down on it. I also can foresee the misuse of LCMC and long-range control/telemetry links that allow flight beyond visual range being a catalyst for new rules (forcing DJI and the like to disable them, potentially).

I wonder who gets to judge VLOS. Everyone's eyes are not the same, do we go with the LCD or will the FAA eventually make you take a test to see how far your VLOS is and then dial that into your aircraft?

I flew out over the water this week. At about 100 feet up I lost sight of Swarm when I blinked and she was about 600 feet out. Even at that range I wouldn't have been able to tell you orientation without help.

Feh

And this may just completely outlaw the little racing drones and planes that are flown almost exclusively FPV with a spotter. It's a real shame if this is really what is going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Someone please show me something directly on the FAA site that says a hobby flyer will be required to get a 107 cert to fly with or without FPV. Until I see it on the FAA page it is just a rumor as far as I am concerned.

The article is not very good IMHO. I think we all know Section 336 limits regulations against people who fly as a hobby. Let's just agree that it also states you need to fly LOS. The writer then _assumes_ if you don't meet the requirements under Section 336 that you automatically need an exception under Part 107. While this _may_ be true, I don't see this information yet.

Also, I still have a problem with Section 336. It does not actually state you need to fly LOS, it offers the definition of a UAS as being flown LOS. This really does not make sense.

I wonder who gets to judge VLOS. Everyone's eyes are not the same, do we go with the LCD or will the FAA eventually make you take a test to see how far your VLOS is and then dial that into your aircraft?

I flew out over the water this week. At about 100 feet up I lost sight of Swarm when I blinked and she was about 600 feet out. Even at that range I wouldn't have been able to tell you orientation without help.

It's easy enough as only the extreme would ever come into question. 200', 500' 800' no problem. 3000'... yes, a problem.

And this may just completely outlaw the little racing drones and planes that are flown almost exclusively FPV with a spotter. It's a real shame if this is really what is going to happen.

Just like auto and even airplane racing they will waiver some of the regulations for Closed Course Competition.

At 300' alt, I've lost sight of my bird at less than 300' distance. Maybe it's just me. Not to mention, the smaller UAV flying disappear faster.

Feh

I think that's why they didn't specify distances. People have differing eyesight, some sUAS platforms are larger; wide open, flat areas are easier to maintain LOS than those with obstructions; changing topography, etc.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik