Moving to S1000 Premium

Well nothing compares to full frame but I read very good reviews of the whole 4/3rds world (both sensors and optics).
Again, going with the S1000 will allow you to bring your camera in the sky so you'll have the maximum quality for sure but:
1) aren't you worried of crashing, and therefore loosing both the (very) expensive craft and the (very) expensive camera?
2) aren't you concerned about loosing the possibilty to tune the camera setting (aperture, focus, shutter speed and so on) while the camera is in the sky? From a photographer perspective, that's a big loss...
1) Crashing. The P3 has been good to me and I expect will continue to be so. I have checklists for everything and after over 300 flights haven't had any problems. Having a commercial pilots license I believe helps, not in flying the P3, but managing systems, using checklists and briefing on plan b if something goes wrong, so no I'm not concerned about crashing.
2) Camera control. You raise a very good question. With the Nikon D800E, you can set a floating ISO, while fixing aperture and shutter speed. Yes you lose complete control over the camera while airborne and that was a concern but image quality is of prime importance. Setting infinity focus solves the focus issue.

Reactions: Andrea
1) Crashing. The P3 has been good to me and I expect will continue to be so. I have checklists for everything and after over 300 flights haven't had any problems. Having a commercial pilots license I believe helps, not in flying the P3, but managing systems, using checklists and briefing on plan b if something goes wrong, so no I'm not concerned about crashing.
2) Camera control. You raise a very good question. With the Nikon D800E, you can set a floating ISO, while fixing aperture and shutter speed. Yes you lose complete control over the camera while airborne and that was a concern but image quality is of prime importance. Setting infinity focus solves the focus issue.
Sorry guys those were only my 2 cents.
I realize people writing in this thread are far more experienced than I am, both in flying and taking pictures.
But it's always nice when you have the chance to learn something!
Good luck with the new bird!

Reactions: Bret Lucas
One last note: I know it's part of the game, but when I say crashing I'm thinking to everything that can go wrong which is not under your control... and there are plenty of things.
These birds here are just like flying mobile phones... a bunch of electronics packed together without redundancy.
The nexus7 I have bought to fly my P3 suddenly stopped rotating the screen. It might be the gyro, I dunno, but luckily it's not a critical device. I wonder what might happen if the gyro of my P3 stops working when the bird is flying. Or the GPS, or the compass, or one of the ESCs. And you can have defective motors, or defective props.
Check list can help decreasing surprises, and being an experienced pilot is certainly priceless... but these craft are not flying without their electronics being 100% functional.
That's the point.

I've been spec'ing out a coaxial X8 heavy lifter for the past month. All up weight of 30lbs. Finally ordered everything the other day. I was considering going back to the S900 and adding E1200 motors but I really wanted a frame that will never have vibration issues. And the S900 is less adaptable for heavier cameras. I also think the DJI ecosystem is becoming more and more proprietary and I don't want to be locked in anymore. That said I may still pick up an Inspire Pro as an urban shooter despite having the same 60mbps SOC as the X3. X5R will be too painful a workflow.

With the X8, I should be able to run everything up to the new Red Raven, Alexa Mini, BM Micro 4K with an Atamos Ninja Assasin. But the first cameras in the bracket will be the tiny RX100IV and the standard GH4. Love the idea of a gimbal that can take almost anything!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1