Moving to S1000 Premium

Reaction score
I'll still keep my P3 for some small jobs but the S1000 will allow me to use my Nikon D800E with a generic gimbal. The small sensor on the P3 works but is limited.

The only drawback: here's your next backpack...

huge-backpack.jpg

EDIT: just kidding, good move...

Last edited:
Why not the Inspire with the X5 camera?
1) because he can use the camera with the optics he already owns
2) because even if the micro four-thirds world have plenty of high quality optics, only a few are supported by the zenmuse X5 gimbal

Last edited:
1) because he can use the camera with the optics he already owns
2) because even if the micro four-thirds world have plenty of high quality optics, only a few are supported by the zenmuse Z5 gimbal

You are completely right and I would personally have a 50mm lens option.
But on the other hand, the Inspire is a complete and well integrated flight system.

Good question. Spent a lot of time thinking about this. The 4/3rds sensor doesn't compare with full frame. I'll admit the X5R is very tempting but I'll still be locked into a 4/3rds camera.

I've tested one and it's very quiet, much to my surprise. Only a little more noisy than the P3.

Good question. Spent a lot of time thinking about this. The 4/3rds sensor doesn't compare with full frame. I'll admit the X5R is very tempting but I'll still be locked into a 4/3rds camera.
Well nothing compares to full frame but I read very good reviews of the whole 4/3rds world (both sensors and optics).
Again, going with the S1000 will allow you to bring your camera in the sky so you'll have the maximum quality for sure but:
1) aren't you worried of crashing, and therefore loosing both the (very) expensive craft and the (very) expensive camera?
2) aren't you concerned about loosing the possibilty to tune the camera setting (aperture, focus, shutter speed and so on) while the camera is in the sky? From a photographer perspective, that's a big loss...

Reactions: brianb87
My complaint about going to any of the S800, 900, 1000 range, is losing the ability to fully control the camera in flight.
My plan is to put the X5 on my existing Inspire for the moment. It may not be a full DSLR, but it's also able to change all camera settings on the fly (literally. pardon the pun).
But I am very jealous and will eventually park an S1000 in my hangar as well. Undecided on the camera I'll put under it, I currently shoot Canon, so would probably have to look at going that route.
Enjoy the S1000. Most of us will all be jealous.

Reactions: Bret Lucas

Why not the S1000+?

I read the S1000 can take off with 20+ pounds. Not sure if that information is correct but if so, that's pretty impressive.

Well nothing compares to full frame but I read very good reviews of the whole 4/3rds world (both sensors and optics).
Again, going with the S1000 will allow you to bring your camera in the sky so you'll have the maximum quality for sure but:
1) aren't you worried of crashing, and therefore loosing both the (very) expensive craft and the (very) expensive camera?
2) aren't you concerned about loosing the possibilty to tune the camera setting (aperture, focus, shutter speed and so on) while the camera is in the sky? From a photographer perspective, that's a big loss...
I agree and disagree with you about this statement that nothing compares to a full frame... It happens actually that the GH4 Panasonic is better in video than a 5D MK III which is maybe the best DSLR around. The 5D is definitely better at stills though, but when it comes to video, the GH4 remains at the top of the shooters, as published in many comparison tests.

Going for the S1000 is a big jump from an P3 or even an inspire, you will know soon what stress of crashing it means :) ... My advice is to get a professional insurance for all your gear, which makes the things a little bit easier.
I have to admit that the DJI App is fantastic and loosing it on the S1000 is a bit frustrating (Same for me with the S900) . I really wish DJI releases something similar for its big birds. The worse loss is the lack of control on the aperture, but we can hope in many cases that the much higher dynamic range compared to a P3 cam will compensate (specially if you can shoot Raw or log). That said I don't have problems with a fixed aperture on the GH4 during flights. I had rarely to land and adjust it.

Other gimbals are available to take my Nikon D800E plus 14-24.
Congrats! Excellent idea to choose a gimbal that lets you lifting different cameras, Mine is a Z15 and I'm stuck with the GH4. Sometimes clients may require another camera and it's really a shame to loose a job because of that.
Good luck!

I agree and disagree with you about this statement that nothing compares to a full frame... It happens actually that the GH4 Panasonic is better in video than a 5D MK III which is maybe the best DSLR around. The 5D is definitely better at stills though, but when it comes to video, the GH4 remains at the top of the shooters, as published in many comparison tests.

Going for the S1000 is a big jump from an P3 or even an inspire, you will know soon what stress of crashing it means :) ... My advice is to get a professional insurance for all your gear, which makes the things a little bit easier.
I have to admit that the DJI App is fantastic and loosing it on the S1000 is a bit frustrating (Same for me with the S900) . I really wish DJI releases something similar for its big birds. The worse loss is the lack of control on the aperture, but we can hope in many cases that the much higher dynamic range compared to a P3 cam will compensate (specially if you can shoot Raw or log). That said I don't have problems with a fixed aperture on the GH4 during flights. I had rarely to land and adjust it.
PRO user speaking.
I can't but trust... and learn!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31