Motor trouble

Reaction score
Receive a phantom2 vision, used as a gift. First time pilot, things are going pretty well considering I've never found one of these before. Took a little tumble 2 days ago, only physical damage was a propeller and a propeller guard. Got everything situated and tried to start up the drone and one motor was turning so much slower than the rest that it would not take off. I have the shell open now, there doesn't appear to be any damage on any of the motors. Side note, someone may have been tinkering inside this drone before. It did come with 4 motors additional and they all have 2312 written on them. I have two CCW and two CW. The motors that are currently on this Phantom have no markings on them whatsoever. My question is if I switch one motor out do I have to switch them all out?
What could be going on with that one motor? When the drone is on the ground and idling, and I throttle up just a bit to speed everything up, I can see a tiny bit of vibration coming from that motor. Would bending the shaft affect it that much? It wasn't that bad of a crash, only fell about 6 feet, I clipped the edge of my house.
1546276259044~2.jpeg
1546276312207~2.jpeg

If the motor is vibrating excessively, you likely bent the propeller shaft. A 6ft fall isn’t usually enough to break an ESC. I build and crash drones all the time, and the P2V is a tank.

If the motor is vibrating excessively, you likely bent the propeller shaft. A 6ft fall isn’t usually enough to break an ESC. I build and crash drones all the time, and the P2V is a tank.
Locked rotor current is enough to cook an ESC- even if it doesn’t drop at all.

Receive a phantom2 vision, used as a gift. First time pilot, things are going pretty well considering I've never found one of these before. Took a little tumble 2 days ago, only physical damage was a propeller and a propeller guard. Got everything situated and tried to start up the drone and one motor was turning so much slower than the rest that it would not take off. I have the shell open now, there doesn't appear to be any damage on any of the motors. Side note, someone may have been tinkering inside this drone before. It did come with 4 motors additional and they all have 2312 written on them. I have two CCW and two CW. The motors that are currently on this Phantom have no markings on them whatsoever. My question is if I switch one motor out do I have to switch them all out?
What could be going on with that one motor? When the drone is on the ground and idling, and I throttle up just a bit to speed everything up, I can see a tiny bit of vibration coming from that motor. Would bending the shaft affect it that much? It wasn't that bad of a crash, only fell about 6 feet, I clipped the edge of my house. View attachment 106894View attachment 106895

A word of caution if the CCW motors on the P2 have black dot then all the motors have to be changed. Now if the CCW motor shaft on the P2 is all black then you can swap out just bad motor. The reason why is that 2312 were a heavy duty motor and not compatible with the original motors.

Brushless motors can really take a beating and as already mentioned unless the motor shaft is bent you may a ESC problem. More than likely you haven't performed an advanced IMU calibration after the crash and that should be done before going any further.

A word of caution if the CCW motors on the P2 have black dot then all the motors have to be changed. Now if the CCW motor shaft on the P2 is all black then you can swap out just bad motor. The reason why is that 2312 were a heavy duty motor and not compatible with the original motors.

Brushless motors can really take a beating and as already mentioned unless the motor shaft is bent you may a ESC problem. More than likely you haven't performed an advanced IMU calibration after the crash and that should be done before going any further.
Was hoping you would show up with your P2 experience. I never owned a P2 but I have killed a lot of ESC with locked motor rotors in other RC models. They almost always give out before a motor winding cooks.

Reactions: sarniac

Looks like I'm changing ESC AND motors. The motors that are currently on my P2 have no markings whatsoever. I'm posting a picture if the motors I have plus the ones that are currently in the P2. I'm getting baptized by fire.
1546367603287~2.jpeg
1546367649419~2.jpeg

Looks like I'm changing ESC AND motors. The motors that are currently on my P2 have no markings whatsoever. I'm posting a picture if the motors I have plus the ones that are currently in the P2. I'm getting baptized by fire. View attachment 106916View attachment 106917

Before going through the trouble of changing motors Just order an ESC board for the slow motor that is if you can find one. The motor mounted to the P2 is an original which as very fine windings if all the rest have the same windings leave well enough alone. Brushless motors are very hard to damage in a crash. Worse that could happen in a crash is dirt or sand gets in between the magnets and stators and can be blown out or cleaned out after disassembly. The winding are not likely to fail so that only three items bearings and the motor shaft.

The CCW motors should have a black dot on the very top of the shaft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers