Motor overload

Reaction score
While flying my P3P I have gotten a warning " motor overload, will slow down to protect craft " or something like that. Have flown this P3P for over a year and never gotten that yellow warning pop up. Now has done it several times. Motors are not overly hot when I bring her down. ? What's happening and should I be concerned?

While flying my P3P I have gotten a warning " motor overload, will slow down to protect craft " or something like that. Have flown this P3P for over a year and never gotten that yellow warning pop up. Now has done it several times. Motors are not overly hot when I bring her down. ? What's happening and should I be concerned?
It is a sign that the motors are overheating... do you fly in very hot temperatures?

No, this is a feature that prevents your battery shutting down during flight..usually shows up when your battery is getting low.

This has happened on fresh fully charged batteries. Yes it's hot in Florida but have flown here with this drone for well over a year. The motors do not feel at all hot at end of 20 minute flight. This happens when I am doing some up and forward moves at same time.

Up and forward, especially at the same time cause the motors to work the hardest and take the most out of the battery. Current draw goes up quite a bit. So the Firmware is monitoring temperature, current, voltage, etc. and decides that the requested action is outside of the design parameters. As a result, the current and, therefore, the motor speed is limited. Should only be temporary and go away if/when yo change the stick positions.

Reactions: Dronefishermen
I have seen several instances of this on the P3 recently. It's Winter in Australia (well tomorrow technically) so unlikely a temperature issue. It happens randomly also, seems not to be directly related to load.

That's it! It only happens when I am climbing fast and moving forward at the same time. So I will take it as not hurting anything as it goes away very quickly and flies normally for the remainder of the flight. THANKS ALL.

Done it 4 times in one flight this arvo.... outside temp around 15 deg winter is on it's way
I have noticed it more lately as my batteries start to age and have a lot of charges on them..

My battery's also have many charges on them. Never felt my drone was in any danger. Pretty cool that these drones are as smart as they are.

Press your battery for 5 secs and it wil show leds of battery life
2 of my 3 are down to 1.5 leds nearly buggered and had heaps and heaps of flights and fun..

I know these batteries have a useful life. My three only come up to 94 & 95 % charged at full charge. Does anyone know when it's time to replace them ?

I just had this exact issue w/ my P3 Advanced 2 days ago.

I flew out against the wind at ~11 MPH trying to get close to the Golden Gate Bridge and on the way back at 24 MPH, I received the error message about the motor. At one point the P3 stopped and hovered (I had initiated return home) once I realized this I had to override the idle to get her back before running out of power.

As she got closer I also received the over heating battery warning. At one point the P3 began emergency landing (was close to home but not quite). I was unable to cancel out of the forced landing and had to again override the landing to bring her down closer to home. I recall we used to be able to cancel out of emergency landing, in fact there's a red X that leads one to believe they can. In any case, none of the motors felt hot, yet the battery was hot to the touch. Haven't flown since to see if it was an isolated incident.

Perplexing!

Mark

Hi all, test flight last night on the recharged battery that got overheated from my previous flight. No issues with flight. I did receive the motor overloaded warning several times. It actually came and went a few times, even started to come up then went away before it was completely legible.

I was pushing hard to see if it would come up. I didn't experience any flight issues and did not get the battery overheating message. Once I landed the battery was pretty warm. I did run the battery down to critically low, to see if I could override the forced landing. I was able to override the forced landing by maintaining throttle up.

I wish DJI would give us the ability to cancel out of the force landing like we once had. The red X comes up, yet it is not functional (see picture). I much rather crash land on land, than softly land on water.

At this point, I am feeling like the motor overloaded message is an unintended consequence of the latest firmware being too sensitive.

I'd love to hear others input...

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• P3.png
    P3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 671

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads