Motor Dislodged

Reaction score
I just noticed this on my P4. How do I reseat it?
20201006_143204.jpg

I just noticed this on my P4. How do I reseat it?View attachment 120288
Wow that's cool,,,is the outer shell just lifting ,,they are pressed on but if you can lift right off something has given up,,my damage motor below shows circlin on the bottom to change bearing,,,,,any damage inside the top if not it might press back down ok but I not seen one lift like that,,very lucky it not lock up in flight
16020193643103088429015293637410.jpg
16020189435954632503795618542462.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.
I was able to "wiggle" it back down....pretty tight. Turns freely. I will double check it after next flight. I was over water today too.....so glad it didnt spin right the hell off.

That's scary. I think I would add a spot of glue.
Yeh agree have not seen one lift like that,,the motor I show is a damaged one but even had to pri it up with s screwdriver to see how hard they are on,it was tight to shift the motor case so dont know how one would come up like that

Thank you.
I was able to "wiggle" it back down....pretty tight. Turns freely. I will double check it after next flight. I was over water today too.....so glad it didnt spin right the hell off.
Yes lucky,,do couple test flights to see if it moves again,,yip looks like magnetics only thing holding it there so buy a lottery ticket

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Can that dislodged part be pulled off? In that case you were really lucky because that part together with the propeller could flied off. So something must still hold it. Any screws?

Agree. Should not be able to separate by hand. If you can......then stay over water. Safer

How about just replace the motor?
Not convinced it would be a good idea to use the one that is having a problem.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have a closer look at it when able to get into work again. Have not test flown again yet. Was foolish enough not to mark which motor it was....doh.
Not sure I trust myself replacing a motor....or how to....myself howver if thats what is needed

If that motor has lost the clip that holds the shaft from separating the two pieces together and you send it up in the air, you are at risk.
Certainly not worth losing an aircraft over. The motor is at least removable from the arm enough to inspect the whereabouts of said clip.

If the brushless motor outer shell has come up that far, yeah, the shaft retainer clip on the other side of the base plate/bearing is probably long gone. Or the retainer clip is still there but the housing has slipped up the shaft. Sometimes the shafts are held onto the housings by grubscrews. Or they are press fit in. Honestly, I have not had a chance to see which type the P4P motors are. Either way, the magnets/stators may be scored from rubbing and being out of balance.
The magnets will suck it back down because that's what they do, but it will probably pull all the way off if you try to pull it up by hand. The problem is that in flight if you go to full power you run the risk of the upward thrust of the props pulling the prop and housing all the way off.
If it were mine, I'd switch out that complete motor before I flew it again.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
I do not skimp at all when it comes to motors... To me, a motor is a REPLACE ALWAYS part... I never "repair" motors.. They are too critical to safety and air worthiness. For the few bucks its gonna cost you to put a new one on, will save a whole lot of money and heartache if your repaired motor fails again. I had a rough landing, and the bird turned upside down in the gravel... One of the motors was stiffer to turn than the rest, and another showed gravel damage inside... I replaced all 4.

Motors are pretty easy to find and cheap. I have a lot of used motors. About $15 shipped to a US address. You need a good soldering station to replace the motor. I would never fly with that one

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav