Most economic speed

Reaction score
What is the most economic speed to fly in terms of battery discharge? I know there are variables such as wind and density altitude, but just trying to get a general idea of how fast most people fly while recording, or just going for distance. Thanks

There have been several threads on this. Most have come away believing max speed is the most efficient, although a few insist that slightly below max speed is a little better...

My vote is for Max Speed.
As mentioned, it has been discussed at length a few times recently

My vote would have been maximum speed too. It seems pretty obvious at first. But I have since seen empirical data that clearly contradicts this. It may seem counter intuitive, but if you think it through, it does make sense.

Motors and props can become dramatically less efficient near full throttle. So while at full speed, you waste less energy staying aloft, because you spend less time flying at full speed, this is apparently offset by the exponential increase in propeller drag and reduction in motor efficiency (both of which are selected and tuned for hovering performance, not top speed).

So no, according to some tests Ive seen, and which links i can not find now, its not full speed, and more likely something closer to what the phantom flies when it does a smart RTH. Which isnt very fast. That took me by surprise too.

I'm sure there have been other threads on this subject, but being new to this forum I have yet to find the search function. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

There's no absolute data. It's all anecdotal.

Just enjoy flying your camera and have fun.

I'm sure there have been other threads on this subject, but being new to this forum I have yet to find the search function. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
lol

Look in the upper right corner about an inch down - look for the little magnifying glass and click on it

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl