Mosquito Attack

Reaction score
Mosquitoes are a given in South Florida but I have noticed when flying my Phantom 3 Advanced at night they attack my hands in droves. There seems to be something about the controller that draws them in: perhaps the controller light or the controller transmission signals? Not sure, or maybe it's just me but I was wondering if you have experienced the same thing?

Mosquitoes are a given in South Florida but I have noticed when flying my Phantom 3 Advanced at night they attack my hands in droves. There seems to be something about the controller that draws them in: perhaps the controller light or the controller transmission signals? Not sure, or maybe it's just me but I was wondering if you have experienced the same thing?
Yip they a right pain,,,could try nice gripping gloves so not drop remote like me or good does of insect repellant,,,I don't think it remote,,they attract to the skin and blood I think,yes nothing worse than holding rc looking at them biting away,,

Mossies ............... living as I do with river etc.- they are a part of life.

I use spray and for me it works -but we have had guests that during BBQ's by the river just does not work for them.

For anyone interested .... its the FEMALE mossie that bites ... and she is after blood to extract the water for herself and eggs. The Males have no interest in you.
They can home in on the CO2 you and any animal exhales from over 100m away ! Light and movement is not used. Once they get close -the body heat directs them into the 'bite'.

UV lamps.... Insect lamps ... Ultrasonics ..... have no effect on them at all. Citronella masks the CO2 ...

Later I intend to invest in one of the CO2 emitting mossie traps ...they work of Propane...

Mossies ............... living as I do with river etc.- they are a part of life.

I use spray and for me it works -but we have had guests that during BBQ's by the river just does not work for them.

For anyone interested .... its the FEMALE mossie that bites ... and she is after blood to extract the water for herself and eggs. The Males have no interest in you.
They can home in on the CO2 you and any animal exhales from over 100m away ! Light and movement is not used. Once they get close -the body heat directs them into the 'bite'.

UV lamps.... Insect lamps ... Ultrasonics ..... have no effect on them at all. Citronella masks the CO2 ...

Later I intend to invest in one of the CO2 emitting mossie traps ...they work of Propane...
This is one of the few females I am not interested in. ??

I've flew thru them on hot summer evenings and the front edges of the props were all checked with blood....i guess it was a Large female gathering night and because of my rapidly 4 spinning slicers...Some never make it back to lay the eggs in the water....Yaaaaaaaa !

I've been unable to use a local State Park I have a permit to practice in due to the mosquitoes in the warmer weather. I don't mind using insect spray, but these things literally swarm my vehicle to the point where I don't dare open the door to get out. Usually fine until late spring.

Reactions: Bug Shredder
Here in Scotland we don't get mozzies but in calm weather we get clouds of midgies.
For those who've never had the pleasure... they're tiny biting insects who come out in their thousands and are attracted to Co2 in your breath and also to lights in the evening.
There's no solution, when they get too bad you just have to run away screaming like a little girl.

Boab, I have a (actually two) solutions for the midges annoying you .... just stand within the vicinity of my own fair self and they will clamber over anything or anyone to get to the prime meat of me. Honest it works!

The second solution is the midgie nuclear solution .. a candle and a trigger spray gun filled with paraffin ... kaboom! Male and female no more.

I scared the bejavers out of a couple of chaps trying to put up a tent in the same field. They took off when I offered to fumigate them and their tent! He-he-he!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I live in Arizona. What are these mosquitos you all speak of? ;)

Reactions: LARA images
I live in Arizona. What are these mosquitos you all speak of? ;)
Same here in Las Vegas. The only mosquitoes I encounter are at work (only the males, those and drosophila) used in phenotyping experiments that happen to escape. Never see insects. I hear a humming bird every once in a while when I'm flying.

Reactions: len750
A simple fix is to take two Aspirin tablets before you go out and the Skeeters won't bother you at all. They can not tolerate the Acetylsalicylic Acid in the Aspirin.

On the other hand, if you want them to bite, eat a banana.

Bud

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
Something about my Body chemistry seems to attract mosquitoes more than most. It could be high blood pressure, hi sugar levels in the blood, or the mosquitoes around my area just liked the taste of my blood. But for whatever reason, the mosquitoes will go after me before any of my friends when in a group.

I hate the smell of citronella, and I don’t like the smell or the feel of bug spraying my skin. But I found something that works with a very high level of success. If your family has no fear of them, put some bat boxes up around your property to attract bats. Just one bat can eat almost 8000 insects per night, and they prefer female mosquitoes! There is an added advantage of flying drones when the bats are out too. The bats never seem to attack the drones, and they have never made any contact with it, however the bats are definitely drawn to them. It almost seems like they are playing in the air with the drone, darting back and forth sometimes within only a few feet of the drone! It is very comical to watch.

look into a thermacell .... I use one for hunting in warm weather here in Alabama, and it is a miracle worker!

Mosquitoes have evolved to be brilliant little buggers. Your hands are warm and sweaty and YOU CAN'T SWAT THEM AWAY! It all balances out though. I'm sure you clean mosquito blood and guts regularly from the drone. These things skeeter killing machines.

Mosquitos are attracted to heat and CO2. It would make sense that your controller is putting out more heat then you body. That would explain attacking the hands.

Something about my Body chemistry seems to attract mosquitoes more than most. It could be high blood pressure, hi sugar levels in the blood, or the mosquitoes around my area just liked the taste of my blood. But for whatever reason, the mosquitoes will go after me before any of my friends when in a group.

I hate the smell of citronella, and I don’t like the smell or the feel of bug spraying my skin. But I found something that works with a very high level of success. If your family has no fear of them, put some bat boxes up around your property to attract bats. Just one bat can eat almost 8000 insects per night, and they prefer female mosquitoes! There is an added advantage of flying drones when the bats are out too. The bats never seem to attack the drones, and they have never made any contact with it, however the bats are definitely drawn to them. It almost seems like they are playing in the air with the drone, darting back and forth sometimes within only a few feet of the drone! It is very comical to watch.
Yeah got a bad heart and take blood thinners I'm a prime target, if you don't want bit just stand close to me eat my elbows up I hate them!

This is what I use here in South Florida that works for me and I love the smell.
IMG_0502.jpg

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.