More powerfull repeater?

Yesterday the nice weather look how far it can go with stock wifi extender

Attachments

• post-241-0-84401300-1388298866.png
    post-241-0-84401300-1388298866.png
    336.8 KB · Views: 740
sangfhas said:
Yesterday the nice weather look how far it can go with stock wifi extender

Awesome range if that's only the stock setup. My best in the area I tried was just shy of 400 feet and 1050 foot distance, though I had preview quality set to 640x480 15fps. I personally wouldn't want my Phantom as far away from me as you do yours in the pic with only 27% power remaining (just to be on the safe side).

alexmla said:
BenDronePilot said:
Correct me if i'm wrong. But it looks at if you desoldered the original antenna wire from the base where it was connected. Versus doing something like cutting the original antenna wire part way and splicing it in. And what would you think of having the wire simply spliced in from the original antenna wire? Also how is this setup working with respect to range from the stock antenna to the clover leaf?

At least on my TX the original antenna wire was not soldered. I would not bother splicing, just replace it; one less thing to worry about. Desolder the original wire (if yours is soldered), and solder the new antenna wire onto the transmitter instead. This setup has increased my TX range by over 100% in an urban area with heavy signal noise. YMMV, but the beauty of this setup is that you can switch antennas easily, and pick the one that works best for you.

Nice, if you can throw us a parts list of everything you used in your mod that would help simplify the mod for the rest of us. Thanks :)

BenDronePilot said:
Nice, if you can throw us a parts list of everything you used in your mod that would help simplify the mod for the rest of us. Thanks :)

For the TX with cloverleaf, all you need is:

Pigtail adapter: http://amzn.to/19UBpTw
Cloverleaf antenna: http://amzn.to/1imYXVz (make sure to use the TX antenna; this comes with both TX and RX)

I used the second pigtail adapter to modify the repeater. I then attached the TP-LINK 9db directional antenna: http://amzn.to/1djdmya This is also easily replaceable and you can add a booster to that setup, if you feel like it.

Next: modify the antenna mount so that it is easy to transport (and disconnect from the TX), test the TX with other antennas to see what works best, possibly add a booster to the TX for fun and to see how that goes.

Great! Will i have to modify (Break) something in the rc tx at the point where the normal antenna is positioned or will your adapter fit right in?

Just once more to be clear: Will there be an increase in range at the 5.8 ghz RC by only using the cloverleaf TX on the transmitter (and not using the rx on the phantom itself)?

Are there any disadvantages when using the cloverleaf antenna?

Thank you :)

Edit: This is the inside of my transmitter. Is there any chance that this can be modified? It looks like it's glued..
image9buyan5im4.jpg

noreason4 said:
Great! Will i have to modify (Break) something in the rc tx at the point where the normal antenna is positioned or will your adapter fit right in?

Just once more to be clear: Will there be an increase in range at the 5.8 ghz RC by only using the cloverleaf TX on the transmitter (and not using the rx on the phantom itself)?

Edit: This is the inside of my transmitter. Is there any chance that this can be modified? It looks like it's glued..
image9buyan5im4.jpg

Increase of my range is about 100% just by replacing the antenna with the one I mentioned. YMMV. After this mod, you can use more directional antennas with higher gain easily, if that is what you desire, or just add a booster.

Carefully remove the silicone (not glue) that covers the connector to the antenna. It is the same connector that is on the pigtail adapter I used and plugs right in. If you look at the connector on the pigtail adapter it will be all clear to you how this is connected. It's straight forward.

THell said:
alexmla said:
Noël said:
Love the cloverleaf.
Where did you buy it? (link please)

Works well. Got it here: http://amzn.to/1imYXVz

Awesome upgrade. Can you get a better pic of where the antenna wire is connected is it a solder or a connector
Is there just a glob of silicone on it to just ensure it stays connected

In my case it was just silicone, no soldering required. The pigtail adapter I use plugs right in.

alexmla said:
noreason4 said:

image9buyan5im4.jpg

Increase of my range is about 100% just by replacing the antenna with the one I mentioned. YMMV. After this mod, you can use more directional antennas with higher gain easily, if that is what you desire, or just add a booster.

Carefully remove the silicone (not glue) that covers the connector to the antenna. It is the same connector that is on the pigtail adapter I used and plugs right in. If you look at the connector on the pigtail adapter it will be all clear to you how this is connected. It's straight forward.

Hey thx!

What about the other side of the cable (the one where the cloverleaf will connect to): Will this part fit right into the top of the transmitter or do I have to cut some plastic? Btw: Any tips on removing the silicon? Some chemicals or just a cutter knife?

noreason4 said:
Hey thx!

What about the other side of the cable (the one where the cloverleaf will connect to): Will this part fit right into the top of the transmitter or do I have to cut some plastic? Btw: Any tips on removing the silicon? Some chemicals or just a cutter knife?

I used a sharp knife (box cutter). The other side needs some cutting. The top of the antenna mount needs to be cut off (again, used the box cutter).

alexmla said:
BenDronePilot said:

For the TX with cloverleaf, all you need is:

Pigtail adapter: http://amzn.to/19UBpTw
Cloverleaf antenna: http://amzn.to/1imYXVz (make sure to use the TX antenna; this comes with both TX and RX)

I used the second pigtail adapter to modify the repeater. I then attached the TP-LINK 9db directional antenna: http://amzn.to/1djdmya This is also easily replaceable and you can add a booster to that setup, if you feel like it.

Next: modify the antenna mount so that it is easy to transport (and disconnect from the TX), test the TX with other antennas to see what works best, possibly add a booster to the TX for fun and to see how that goes.

Would this cloverleaf also work for the TX? I ask cause this one is pointing straight up vs an angle which would get in the way of my Nexus 7. It says RX vs RP SMA

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU8 ... LHK6Q9LVTS

I'm guessing the name change is do to the angle and not the connector. What did you use to mount the TPLink Antenna to your Transmitter?

BenDronePilot said:
Would this cloverleaf also work for the TX? I ask cause this one is pointing straight up vs an angle which would get in the way of my Nexus 7. It says RX vs RP SMA

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU8 ... LHK6Q9LVTS

I'm guessing the name change is do to the angle and not the connector. What did you use to mount the TPLink Antenna to your Transmitter?

I think you need to decide what is more important to you: direction of the TX signal, or the position of your nexus 7. Although the idea of cloverleaf is to provide a uniform radiation pattern, I am not sure how these cheap antennas will actually do, as no specs are provided. They are only a few bucks, so I would suggest you try and see what happens. With a modded antenna mount, they are easily exchanged. I opened one up: solid Chinese manual work :lol:

The TP mount consists of some parts I bought at the hardware store. It works but cannot be readily removed (e.g. for transportation). I will modify that, as soon as I have finished some other improvements. I want to be able to detach the antenna easily, but still be able to adjust the position and angle somewhat.

alexmla said:
James Cole said:
Alexmia...

Could you share with us how did you installed the 5.8 ghz antenna?

Thanks!
JC

Sure JC!

I used this: amzn.to/19UBpTw
There are two in the package, one can be used for the TX modification, one for the repeater.

Fits right in, no soldering required.

I noticed on my transmitter there is a fair amount of a waxy adhesive around the transmitter connector. How hard was it cut away/remove to pop the antenna lead off?

browntw79 said:
I noticed on my transmitter there is a fair amount of a waxy adhesive around the transmitter connector. How hard was it cut away/remove to pop the antenna lead off?

I used a box cutter and tweezers. Took me a minute or so.

Hi everyone, newbie here and proud owner of dji phantom vision. Thank you for detailed explanations to every question and concern.
@alexmla, would you be kind enough to post a step by step guide or a video with links to all the required parts Please!!! I really like your setup and will appreciate if you can help me in achieving a similar setup. Thank you :D

umair239 said:
Hi everyone, newbie here and proud owner of dji phantom vision. Thank you for detailed explanations to every question and concern.
@alexmla, would you be kind enough to post a step by step guide or a video with links to all the required parts Please!!! I really like your setup and will appreciate if you can help me in achieving a similar setup. Thank you :D

Welcome and congrats! I have already posted the parts list a bit earlier in this thread, maybe one or two pages back. I will make a video once I have completed all mods to the TX and the PV itself in a few days.

hey alex,,,,

did you test your mod out in the field? if so what distance did you achieve? also what height did you achieve? I am basically more interested in going high as possible.... so would love to know how high you were able to go with this setup of yours...

oh yeh a video will be great!!!

ahtiram2725 said:
hey alex,,,,

did you test your mod out in the field? if so what distance did you achieve? also what height did you achieve? I am basically more interested in going high as possible.... so would love to know how high you were able to go with this setup of yours...

oh yeh a video will be great!!!
I have not yet taken it out on the field because I am making some more modifications first; I am also waiting for a few other antennas so that I can do a direct comparison (same day, same location, same conditions).

alexmla said:
James Cole said:
Alexmia...

Could you share with us how did you installed the 5.8 ghz antenna?

Thanks!
JC

Sure JC!

I used this: amzn.to/19UBpTw
There are two in the package, one can be used for the TX modification, one for the repeater.

Fits right in, no soldering required.

Alex do you have to remove the white glue from the connection where you have the black tape in your tx? does the U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail Antenna fits there or i have to solder? thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor