More powerfull repeater?

I find this thread interesting... I asked the question about increasing range of the extender quite a while back and was almost laughed off the forum! "1000 feet is a long ways out, why would you want to go farther?" is what I believe I was told. ;)

This is all pretty cool!!!

My issue is wanting to have solid Control & Video links as far as I can see the aircraft and then some. I want the option of being able to pilot it home manually or invoke RTH, my choice. Stock (for me) it barely gets a couple hundred feet out before I get "Control Link Lost" "Returning to Home" which is a waste of flight & enjoyment time. Like veteran RC's I'm not really interested in flying beyond visual flight range, I just want to be able to fly reliably within visual and have full control. Sooner or later we'll get it sorted out, some of us are already there now. I'm just waiting on Gpauk, 'tho I must admit by the time he's thru he'll be able to steer his PV beyond his own continent LOL!

iDrone

iDrone said:
Inspired by Uncle Fester I've been quietly working on range extension as well. But my problem is the reverse, I lose the 5.8ghz Control Link way before video, even in FCC mode. Probably because I'm in a busy area full of RF & noise, so I'm considering adding a PA on the uplink as my WiFi link is fine esp after adding a 16dbi panel antenna. I'm testing an 11dbi panel antenna on the Control Link now which has improved range quit a bit, but I need to run more tests and I need to do them away from the RFI & EMI of local civilization.

gpauk said:
Just got my 1W 5.8GHz PA in... just need to box it up and hook to the tx... Hope to get it tested at the weekend...

@gpauk - Did you get a chance to test your PA this weekend or are you weathered-in (rain & drizzle) like some of us are today?

iDrone

Snow and wind... And rain tomorrow I think.... So -- no chance to test yet!!

Thank you !!!

I am new to the forum here.. I have not purchased my Phantom 2 as of yet. It is pretty cold in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada -20 to -30 degrees Celsius BRRRRRRRR....

I am just flying a micro around the house for practice...

any who I have read all the posts here and

Huge thanks to Uncle and Adam... I have purchased the TPlink and the cables in preparation of getting the Phantom....

Thanks very very much indeed

LeoS said:
uncle fester said:
LeoS said:
Question: What preview quality do you guys use to test?

a). 640x480 15fps
b). 320x240 30fps
c). 320x240 15fps

I remember one one of the earlier interviews, Colin mentioned that using the lower bitrate video may increase the range.
i use 640x480 15fps to be honest i didint really notice any range difference using the lower settings even with the stock setup

In terms of raw uncompressed data (b) is 2x of (c) and (a) is 4x of (c).
After compression, I think (a) is probably still 2x compared to (c).

I'll do some test later if possible, if I remember correctly there were occurence where the FPV video was dropped while the telemetry info still works. That would be the case when (c) can still show you image when (a) cannot.

From my brief testing yesterday, going from (b) to (c) gave me an additional 10-20% in distance.
I'm gonna do more testing later when weather permits...

Hi Adam,

I've been following this forum for awhile now and ordered my Phantom 2 Vision last Friday (will be here next Monday). I'm quite excited for it to arrive an I am interested in doing this mod.

Am I right to assume that on top of purchasing the TP-Link Antenna and pigtail adapters that I would need to purchase additional rubber antennas that screw into the TP-Link, or am I way off base?

If it is not too much trouble, can you still please post some photographs of your set up and how you mounted it all to your repeater just so I can get an idea of how everything might go together?

Adam said:
ahtiram2725 said:
ok guys, I am a newbie so be gentle with me :)

i understand the rx/tx of the vision is working on 5.8ghz frequency and they are using 2.4ghz for the video transmission on to the ipad...

so the range of rx/tx is 500m? or more?

range of the video tranmission is 300m? or more?

is the repeater for extending the range of the video transmission on ios and android devices, would it be possible for those who have successfuly tested to list the parts they have used , so beginners like me can easily buy them..

also will the repeater extend the range of the rx/tx as well or only for the video transmission?

I'm not sure the stock range, you can check DJIs site for that info.

I was never able to obtain more than 500ft (150m) of 2.4Ghz video transmission. No way to test the 5.8 control because once I hit the FPV limit, I'd turn it around and fly back.

The repeater that DJI supplies pushes the low latency video over 2.4ghz. Uncle fester and I and possibly others have modded the repeater with external antennas (there are two tiny antennas inside the repeater). Those antennas can easily be disconnected amd connected to external antennas available Amazon and elsewhere. Besides the TP-Link antennas mentioned in my earlier posts, you will need a pigtail adapter to connect the TP-Link to the DJI wifi link.

I used this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UW ... UTF8&psc=1

That's it. Then it's just a matter of finding a way to mount everything and modifying your Wifi extender so the antenna pigtail wires can pass through to your TP-Link. That being said, you can buy any brand of directional 2.4Ghz antenna, just have to make sure the connectors match up.

If you guys check back over the weekend I'll post a video showing all the parts and my antenna stand setup.

Would it be possible for someone to post some pictures similar to Adam's setup to see how everything was mounted and how the antennas from the TP-Link to the Phantom repeater go through the repeater's case?

Hit 3200 feet (975m) away this afternoon. Finally a break in the weather. Was able to get out of the neighborhood and into a big field.

I'll do my best tonight to post video of the antenna setup - including how it connects to the WiFi Extender and how I mounted my TP-Link antennas and a flight video.

Adam said:
Hit 3200 feet (975m) away this afternoon. Finally a break in the weather. Was able to get out of the neighborhood and into a big field.

I'll do my best tonight to post video of the antenna setup - including how it connects to the WiFi Extender and how I mounted my TP-Link antennas and a flight video.

Nice Adam !!! Can't wait to see the setup and video !

-Bill

Adam said:

That's great! That is some amazing range.

Thanks Adam, that would be greatly appreciated!

Got the video done bit it's still rendering and then I'll have to upload it. So, Monday!

Adam said:
Got the video done bit it's still rendering and then I'll have to upload it. So, Monday!

Great! Looking forward to it! Thanks for all your effort.

does the repeater have to be mounted on the radio transmitter or will it be ok to mount on a pole or a small tripod?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20