More powerfull repeater?

5x Increase on FPV Range for Phantom 2 Vision

Got my antennas in tonight from Amazon. Setup up two TP-LINK TL-ANT2414A 2.4GHz 14dBi with pigtail adapters. Connected both to the DJI WiFi Extender. Went from a 400ft range to 2100+ft range on FPV. Got a few Control connection warnings at about 2200 ft so I didn't push it much farther. I'll work on a video this weekend showing it a little better.

Attachments

• resize1.jpg
    resize1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 4,800
  • resize2.jpg
    resize2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 4,180
This is really interesting concept. This belong to Jason Lee. I didn't compile PDF. I do not know if it's working well, BUT it's worth trying I guess ! Great idea !

EDIT: I'm adding it as set of jpg's, as I wasn't able to upload it as PDF (forum rules).

Re: 5x Increase on FPV Range for Phantom 2 Vision

Adam said:
Got my antennas in tonight from Amazon. Setup up two TP-LINK TL-ANT2414A 2.4GHz 14dBi with pigtail adapters. Connected both to the DJI WiFi Extender. Went from a 400ft range to 2100+ft range on FPV. Got a few Control connection warnings at about 2200 ft so I didn't push it much farther. I'll work on a video this weekend showing it a little better.

Well done Adam ! In my setup I'm losing TX first before FPV. I guess congestion on 5GHz is quite high in my area. Did you extend your 5GHz with some additional antenna ?

visionuser said:
Adam said:

Well done Adam ! In my setup I'm losing TX first before FPV. I guess congestion on 5GHz is quite high in my area. Did you extend your 5GHz with some additional antenna ?

No, I don't have anything else for 5.8Ghz. I didn't want to hack my transmitter up I guess....

2000 ft seems plenty for now.

What setup are you using and what results are you getting? Post some pics.

Adam said:
No, I don't have anything else for 5.8Ghz. I didn't want to hack my transmitter up I guess....

I have very small modification so far, but preparing to have better boost soon. I've extended TX only using one of these antennas I had: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-Suppl ... 00DMJI9TA/ . Slight improvement in range. I'm thinking about some (cheap) 5GHz booster and will look to the idea I shared above around 2.4GHz 1.5W-2.5W repeater.

Hey Adam, this looks awesome! Thanks for being the ginnea pig! Speaking of which, can you send me/post the link to the pigtail adapters you purchased to be able to plug right in to the wifi booster?

Also how have you mounted the antennas? On the ground, on a post etc? I cant imagine having even one of those on the Tx would be very practical.

visionuser said:
Adam said:

I have very small modification so far, but preparing to have better boost soon. I've extended TX only using one of these antennas I had: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-Suppl ... 00DMJI9TA/ . Slight improvement in range. I'm thinking about some (cheap) 5GHz booster and will look to the idea I shared above around 2.4GHz 1.5W-2.5W repeater.

Just got my 1W 5.8GHz PA in... just need to box it up and hook to the tx... Hope to get it tested at the weekend...

THAT IS AMAZING Adam!! FANTASTIC results! If you get a chance can you post a pic of how you have decided to mount the new antenna to your TX? THANKS!

Rob

uncle fester said:
awsome work guys!. whos gonna try a booster? :)

On the receiving side? I thought about buying one but since I seem to be maxing out my 5.8 control system I didn't see how it would help my particular setup. I'd like to see boosting on the Phantom side.

bigfoot21075 said:
THAT IS AMAZING Adam!! FANTASTIC results! If you get a chance can you post a pic of how you have decided to mount the new antenna to your TX? THANKS!

Rob

I'll get that video up this weekend. I had some metal conduit and fittings left over from an outdoor movie screen project and I am using that. It's a big setup for sure. The antennas come with a few types of mounting hardware, for poles or walls.

Adam said:
uncle fester said:

On the receiving side? I thought about buying one but since I seem to be maxing out my 5.8 control system I didn't see how it would help my particular setup. I'd like to see boosting on the Phantom side.

I hope to have my 1W 5.8GHz PA testing at the weekend... Wx permitting! With a decent repeater antenna I now find the tx loses it before the wifi link.

gpauk said:
Adam said:
uncle fester said:

I hope to have my 1W 5.8GHz PA testing at the weekend... Wx permitting! With a decent repeater antenna I now find the tx loses it before the wifi link.

Cool, looking forward to the results.

ok guys, I am a newbie so be gentle with me :)

i understand the rx/tx of the vision is working on 5.8ghz frequency and they are using 2.4ghz for the video transmission on to the ipad...

so the range of rx/tx is 500m? or more?

range of the video tranmission is 300m? or more?

is the repeater for extending the range of the video transmission on ios and android devices, would it be possible for those who have successfuly tested to list the parts they have used , so beginners like me can easily buy them..

also will the repeater extend the range of the rx/tx as well or only for the video transmission?

Adam said:
uncle fester said:

on either side.if i ever get my telemtry working again i think im gonna buy a booster on mount it on the craft

Wow, really impressive work guys ...aside from the douche.
Adam is it possible for you to post a simple parts list and setup for this with photos.
I have a P1 but will be buying a P2.

This really is a great benefit for me because of what I have to photograph has very limited access.

Great work guys and thanks Uncle Fester.

ahtiram2725 said:
ok guys, I am a newbie so be gentle with me :)

i understand the rx/tx of the vision is working on 5.8ghz frequency and they are using 2.4ghz for the video transmission on to the ipad...

so the range of rx/tx is 500m? or more?

range of the video tranmission is 300m? or more?

is the repeater for extending the range of the video transmission on ios and android devices, would it be possible for those who have successfuly tested to list the parts they have used , so beginners like me can easily buy them..

also will the repeater extend the range of the rx/tx as well or only for the video transmission?

I'm not sure the stock range, you can check DJIs site for that info.

I was never able to obtain more than 500ft (150m) of 2.4Ghz video transmission. No way to test the 5.8 control because once I hit the FPV limit, I'd turn it around and fly back.

The repeater that DJI supplies pushes the low latency video over 2.4ghz. Uncle fester and I and possibly others have modded the repeater with external antennas (there are two tiny antennas inside the repeater). Those antennas can easily be disconnected amd connected to external antennas available Amazon and elsewhere. Besides the TP-Link antennas mentioned in my earlier posts, you will need a pigtail adapter to connect the TP-Link to the DJI wifi link.

I used this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UW ... UTF8&psc=1

That's it. Then it's just a matter of finding a way to mount everything and modifying your Wifi extender so the antenna pigtail wires can pass through to your TP-Link. That being said, you can buy any brand of directional 2.4Ghz antenna, just have to make sure the connectors match up.

If you guys check back over the weekend I'll post a video showing all the parts and my antenna stand setup.

24pfilms said:
Wow, really impressive work guys ...aside from the douche.
Adam is it possible for you to post a simple parts list and setup for this with photos.
I have a P1 but will be buying a P2.

I've to chime in... These info are only relevant for the P2V and not the P2, because the P2 will use 2.4ghz frequency for tx/rx.

This really is a great benefit for me because of what I have to photograph has very limited access.

And if you're into photography, you should take a look at the P2V (over P2 + gopro) because it offers life feedback for framing and taking shots and tweaks (aperture, exposure, white balance, etc)...

Question: What preview quality do you guys use to test?

a). 640x480 15fps
b). 320x240 30fps
c). 320x240 15fps

I remember one one of the earlier interviews, Colin mentioned that using the lower bitrate video may increase the range.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20