More camera focus questions.

Well first let me say, your kitchen is awesome!. I am no photography expert but the only thing I see wrong in that picture is there looks to be some hot pixels under the oven. You can see the reflection of the smoke detector amongst other things in the floor, your focus seems to be sharp as could be in that photo. Ill have a look at your other photos.
Thanks [emoji106]

I noticed a few hot pixels in another image as well. Is this normal for this camera or is this an actual problem that I have?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Made some tests. The same picture 4:3 and 16:9 files sizes are: 4:3 is 23.7MB and 16:9 is 17.8M. So I was completely wrong thinking that by using 16:9 I got more quality. It is just the opposite.
So it's probably best to crop in post [emoji106]
Thanks for the info.

So it's probably best to crop in post
emoji106.png

Thanks for the info.
yes, the guy in the video I post was right. Do 4:3 and crop whatever size you want.

Reactions: RayH
I would say your videos/photos are fine. Kitchen is fantastic but yeah, this is what we'll get from p3. it's not dslr, and that's it. pics looks great when resized down 50%, if you look closely and start to inspect quality of every component you'll just find how much money DJI is making selling this toys.
Thanks for the reply[emoji106]
I am more worried about the hot pixels under my oven now, should of left the oven off [emoji23]

The top photo is an edited dng file that started out with -2 on sharpening/saturation and contrast.
The lower photo is a full auto jpeg.

I finally had a chance to look at your two house photos. Those are not sharp photos, something is off. It's almost like the image is set for soft.

I finally had a chance to look at your two house photos. Those are not sharp photos, something is off. It's almost like the image is set for soft.
Thanks for looking.
It has been mentioned that DJI set focus for around 10 metres so I'm going to do more tests this weekend then make a decision to exchange it or not. Do you have any photos of anything around that distance without post sharpening that I can look at? Maybe a photo that has all of the values set to "0" so I can compare it. Did you have chance to look at the video of the back of my house to see how it compares to a still image or if that is out of focus?
Thanks again [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It is odd how a still image can look off focus especially around certain areas but the same "location" shot on video looks rellatively pin sharp all over.... I tried this while on a table outside shooting the pics/video same spot to compare.....sound like a "software" thing to me....not the lense.

Thanks for looking.
It has been mentioned that DJI set focus for around 10 metres so I'm going to do more tests this weekend then make a decision to exchange it or not. Do you have any photos of anything around that distance without post sharpening that I can look at? Maybe a photo that has all of the values set to "0" so I can compare it.
Thanks again [emoji106]

I found two photo taken earlier this year. The first photo is taken with a Phantom 2 Vision+ and the second photo is taken with a Phantom 3 Standard. Both cameras are very different than the Phantom 3 Professional. I can take test photos tonight with the Phantom 3 Advanced which has the same lens & sensor as the Phantom 3 professional. These two photos were reduced to 50% the original size for uploading. Photos were taken within the 10 meter range. Also to note: Photos taken in the cold of winter will effect the camera as metal and components tend to contract.

VISIONPLUS (1).jpg

P3STANDARD (1).jpg

I found two photo taken earlier this year. The first photo is taken with a Phantom 2 Vision+ and the second photo is taken with a Phantom 3 Standard. Both cameras are very different than the Phantom 3 Professional. I can take test photos tonight with the Phantom 3 Advanced which has the same lens & sensor as the Phantom 3 professional. These two photos were reduced to 50% the original size for uploading. Photos were taken within the 10 meter range. Also to note: Photos taken in the cold of winter will effect the camera as metal and components tend to contract.

View attachment 44881

View attachment 44882
Thanks for taking the time to upload samples.
They do look sharper than mine.
Are they processed or jpegs straight out of the camera?

It is odd how a still image can look off focus especially around certain areas but the same "location" shot on video looks rellatively pin sharp all over.... I tried this while on a table outside shooting the pics/video same spot to compare.....sound like a "software" thing to me....not the lense.
You could be right but with DJI changing cameras I think it is something else.
They need better QC that's for sure[emoji106]

my advance drone is supposed to be getting exchanged today at jessops where i purchased it in the uk.
video looks ok i guess but not as good as others ive seen with no tweaking.who knows maybe my video is bellow par also??my still pictures are terrible.always blurry or out of focus even when drone isnt flying
they have offered my an exchange for a complete new drone so im hoping this one is better because if it isnt im getting a refund and will buy the typhoon H next month

You could be right but with DJI changing cameras I think it is something else.
They need better QC that's for sure[emoji106]

the glass lens can be adjusted.u need to open up camera from back and lift off cmos sensor .the lens is screwed down a threaded hole,only snag is that once they assembled it they glued it in place

my advance drone is supposed to be getting exchanged today at jessops where i purchased it in the uk.
video looks ok i guess but not as good as others ive seen with no tweaking.who knows maybe my video is bellow par also??my still pictures are terrible.always blurry or out of focus even when drone isnt flying
they have offered my an exchange for a complete new drone so im hoping this one is better because if it isnt im getting a refund and will buy the typhoon H next month
I hope the new one is a good one [emoji106]

the glass lens can be adjusted.u need to open up camera from back and lift off cmos sensor .the lens is screwed down a threaded hole,only snag is that once they assembled it they glued it in place
I wouldn't have a problem adjusting it but I've only had it a few days and it would void my warranty. I'm going to do some more testing then probably change it.

Garden dng to jpeg.jpg
Garden jpeg out of camera.JPG
The first pic is an edited dng and all the settings were standard with "0" on everything, the 2nd pic is a standard jpeg straight out of the camera.
10 metres is the back of the conservatory.
It looks out of focus to me, the writing on the shirts looks blurry as well.
I think the focus point is about 1 metre in front of the camera looking at the decking and grass.

What do you think?

Last edited:
What do you think?
it is hard to tell.... I liked the idea of the kitchen picture. Here you are, 4:3 jpg, no processing. This is a brand new camera from DJI they exchanged for me 2 weeks ago. I would say, DJI camera is decent but not great.

Attachments

• DJI_0022.JPG
    DJI_0022.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 297
it is hard to tell.... I liked the idea of the kitchen picture. Here you are, 4:3 jpg, no processing. This is a brand new camera from DJI they exchanged for me 2 weeks ago. I would say, DJI camera is decent but not great.
Thanks for the sample, it looks fine to me, as was my kitchen photo but my outdoor shots of the back of my house look weird.
I think I'm going to exchange my phantom just to see if I get a better sample.
I have also sent an email to DJI with my camera serial number and see what they advise.
I bought the phantom for photo and video as I'm a keen photographer, maybe I was expecting more.....

I have definitely decided to return the quad but should I send it to DJI or exchange it in the store I bought it from and chance getting a phantom that may have the same or worse issue? Personally I think if DJI have it back they might ensure the new one will have a properly calibrated camera. Your thoughts are appreciated [emoji106]

Don't exchange it, I did 5 exchanges at bestbuy until they told me I could no longer exchange. I finally sent it in to DJI and they had it fixed and shipped back with an 11 day turn around. The biggest problem is getting DJI to issue an RMA. You will have to convince them that the camera is blurry. The easiest way to do that is to go to an indoor basketball court and take pictures of the scoreboard from 10 meters away as I stated earlier in this thread. Check your camera tilt too, I think that because of both of my issues were with the camera is why they just replaced it with a new camera. DJI is probably aware of all these out of focus cameras. Once DJI sends you an rma you will also have to wait another day or two to get the shipping label email, be patient it will come.

Don't exchange it, I did 5 exchanges at bestbuy until they told me I could no longer exchange. I finally sent it in to DJI and they had it fixed and shipped back with an 11 day turn around. The biggest problem is getting DJI to issue an RMA. You will have to convince them that the camera is blurry. The easiest way to do that is to go to an indoor basketball court and take pictures of the scoreboard from 10 meters away as I stated earlier in this thread. Check your camera tilt too, I think that because of both of my issues were with the camera is why they just replaced it with a new camera. DJI is probably aware of all these out of focus cameras. Once DJI sends you an rma you will also have to wait another day or two to get the shipping label email, be patient it will come.
Thanks for your advice.
I sent them an email yesterday with my serial numbers telling them that I had an issue.
They sent an automated response today so I will see what they say.
The shop I got it from has said they would exchange it so at least I have options if DJI won't take it.
I live in the UK and I think the nearest DJI place is in Germany or would it go back to China?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl