More camera focus questions.

The top photo is an edited dng file that started out with -2 on sharpening/saturation and contrast.
The lower photo is a full auto jpeg.

House manual dng edited in LR CC (1 of 1).jpg
Auto.JPG

The small trees in the boarder are about 12 ft away which should be in focus if the hyperfocal distances are correct.

Is there a tool that can analyze the camera focus issues? It's difficult for everyone to look so minutely at the pictures.

Is there a tool that can analyze the camera focus issues? It's difficult for everyone to look so minutely at the pictures.
I agree.
As far as can work out the hyper focal distance should be 11-12 ft away and at that distance I think the image is out of focus.

The video looks ok ish I think though.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ps both of mine have a DJI-ND8 filter attached... This one is via Lightroom.... after tweaking
20160223-DJI_0039-5.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think using 16:9 instead of 4:3 mode for photos will make any difference to quality, does the phantom crop a 4:3 to make a 16:9 photo (is that even an option)?
This is the same question I have. I want to get the maximum pixels. I watched a video, it says the 16:9 is cropped from 4:3. But I don't have evidence. Does somebody know for a fact?
Check out this video, it is very interesting..this guy is also struggling to get the best possible stills.

I don't mean any disrespect but I think this photo looks soft/blurry to me as well?
Yeah that my thoughts too - only had it a month not flown in anger yet due to the wet and windy weather we have had for the last month here in the UK... to be honest I'm getting better images from my "Hero4" I have on my other drone so i'm pondering if there is a problem here....

Ps both of mine have a DJI-ND8 filter attached... This one is via Lightroom.... after tweakingView attachment 44787
That's a lot better [emoji106].
What do you think of mine?
I have just looked at these photos on a TV and they look better than on the iMac 5K although I can see more noise on the TV.
I really don't know what to do!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks :) - Yours do look "better" its the middle distance where mine look mushy the houses on the far hillside just look bad to me... as i say I also have a Hero4 and these just look marginally better which - I'm in 2 minds whether to send it back to BuzzFlyer??? - I was expecting a little better form my P3 - TBO

I really don't know what to do!
OMG, I went thru the same dilemma. If you are willing to wait for 3-4 weeks, contact DJI and go thru the repair process. BTW, they have improved a lot ( last year , it was more than 6 weeks). I finally sent mine and it took: 1 week to go, 5 days for repair, and 1 week to come back. You will need to demonstrate that some parts are out of focus. I took a picture with the same object to the right side and to the left side. The left object was clearly out of focus while the right object was focused.

OMG, I went thru the same dilemma. If you are willing to wait for 3-4 weeks, contact DJI and go thru the repair process. BTW, they have improved a lot ( last year , it was more than 6 weeks). I finally sent mine and it took: 1 week to go, 5 days for repair, and 1 week to come back. You will need to demonstrate that some parts are out of focus. I took a picture with the same object to the right side and to the left side. The left object was clearly out of focus while the right object was focused.
I am having the issue as well with the left being out of focus and the right side in focus. Should i contact DJI

I bought it from Maplin on the 11th and they said I could bring it back for an exchange but I'm concerned that I might get one that is a lot worse.
I suppose if I sent it to DJI they would physically check and adjust if necessary.
Do you think my photos or video look out of focus or are they as good as it gets?

PPS- but the video seems perfectly fine? - stock footage straight from the camera no post adjustments - think all the setting were stock - it seem superb especially when you turn the playback to the full res setting on the Vimeo player on the "HD" symbol :) - just to confuse matters..... i'll put one from today up as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: RayH

I would like to provide more details. It does not take 3-4 weeks either. I sent mine in and it took 1 week to ship both ways and 1 week to fix/replace. This was 10 business days. This is more than acceptable in my opinion. This has been repeated on this forum by other members as well.

Reactions: RayH
PPS- but the video seems perfectly fine? - stock footage straight from the camera no post adjustments - think all the setting were stock - it seem superb especially when you turn the playback to the full res setting on the Vimeo player on the "HD" symbol :) - just to confuse matters..... i'll put one from today up as well...
I can't open full screen for some reason.

Done it, looks fine

Now you have to remember that its not a DSLR, but this is a perfectly usable picture .... IMO They do need tinkering in LR to get the best .... or are we just expecting too much!?

Now you have to remember that its not a DSLR, but this is a perfectly usable picture .... IMO They do need tinkering in LR to get the best .... or are we just expecting too much!?
If you and others think my camera is ok I'm happy as I don't expect DSLR standard and I know the lens is set up for further distances but I want to be sure I'm not missing out on quality in my photos and videos. Thanks for your time, much appreciated [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl