Moding Phantom 3 pro

Reaction score
Are we allowed to write and ask questions about moding phantoms here to remove height restrictions? Im guessing not so I wont ask my question till someone can tell me. Thanks

Are we allowed to write and ask questions about moding phantoms here to remove height restrictions? Im guessing not so I wont ask my question till someone can tell me. Thanks

I think not

I've only been here about a year, and mostly only read, but my best take is that answers to questions about 'moding', or hacking, are not allowed.

Height restrictions are there for a reason

Good luck

I can't see why not. As most of us know the max distance you can set now is 500 meters which is well above any legal flight rules so why would any higher not be allowed to be talked about?

I guess a good counter question is, why would you ever want to go that high. Can you not see how dangerous that would be?

Reactions: Ron_Dog
I can't see why not. As most of us know the max distance you can set now is 500 meters which is well above any legal flight rules so why would any higher not be allowed to be talked about?
Yes can max out height but why,,I'm sure they hardwired in the software not to exceed certain height but must accept on screen responsibility for actions,,,,3rdof5 don't you mean feet not mtrs,,,400ft in legal not in mtrs ,,,I did height test with p4 when first buy it and was controlled test ,,it maxed out at 1350 ft ,restricted by software

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Yes can max out height but why,,I'm sure they hardwired in the software not to exceed certain height but must accept on screen responsibility for actions,,,,3rdof5 don't you mean feet not mtrs,,,400ft in legal not in mtrs ,,,I did height test with p4 when first buy it and was controlled test ,,it maxed out at 1350 ft ,restricted by software
I can set my max altitude on my P3P in the go app to 500 meters (not feet) doing so brings up a disclaimer warning notifying you that you are breaking FAA laws and Dji accepts no responsibility.

Mine is set at 90 meters. But apparently my P3 will fly higher than that P4 up to 1640 feet

Last edited:
Here's another point tho, flying that high is not only endangering lives, which it always is for many reasons, namely manned aircraft, but even barring that, you have no idea what the winds are doing up there, and the AC could quickly find itself in a situation where it simply doesnt have the thrust to make any headway and its lost at that point and could crash and kill someone. Its just stupid and gives the rest of us a bad look to the world. Which is bad enough already.

Here's another point tho, flying that high is not only endangering lives, which it always is for many reasons, namely manned aircraft, but even barring that, you have no idea what the winds are doing up there, and the AC could quickly find itself in a situation where it simply doesnt have the thrust to make any headway and its lost at that point and could crash and kill someone. Its just stupid and gives the rest of us a bad look to the world. Which is bad enough already.
Goss you made me check, yes mine same at 1640,very true I used app in the past UAV and it shows wind at those levels and can clearly see from my pic the winds get extreme,the old drone be gone,I notice the op not had much to say on this after asking
Screenshot_20180220-222719.jpg

If you can’t find it with a simple google search you shouldn’t attempt it.

The answer is it is possible and many have simplified the process so any fool can manage to do the mod with no skill or knowledge.

That’s what makes it scary.
Yes scary alright,not keen on hacks or mods like that myself,that's like kissing your drone goodbye,I read one early for the p4 that you can buy,but not keen,try to play now by the rules,this game is getting deadly , when you can remove any limits that's when the game changes and you enter the unknown

So why are mods to the RC allow to be discussed? I guess they help pay the bills on this forum.
There seems to be nothing in the community rules that might suggest any issue with discussing range mods (antenna, boosters etc). Software/firmware hacks however are specifically mentioned as topics that are discouraged.

I can set my max altitude on my P3P in the go app to 500 meters (not feet) doing so brings up a disclaimer warning notifying you that you are breaking FAA laws and Dji accepts no responsibility.
And we should be thankful DJI have kept the 500m limit as an option in the settings. I will be hacking mine if that limit is reduced. There are instances where you can be flying within the guidelines (well below 400ft even) while being significantly higher than your launch point.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Goss you made me check, yes mine same at 1640,very true I used app in the past UAV and it shows wind at those levels and can clearly see from my pic the winds get extreme,the old drone be gone,I notice the op not had much to say on this after askingView attachment 104682

1640 feet on my P3S also. Don’t ask me how I know. [emoji12]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga