Modes P A F

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused on how the manual explains the flight modes. F A P... Then, opti and atti in the P mode. Is there other switches I'm not aware of? Hope someone can explain well and clear.

Reactions: Fplvert
"When in P-mode, your Phantom will automatically switch from P-GPS to P-OPTI when the GPS signal is not sufficient. And, it'll switch to P-ATTI when neither GPS or Vision Positioning are available. It's not possible to manually switch between those three states." in the P Mode

When in A Atti mode -- this is the manual flight mode-- and the GPS is not controlling the aircraft-- it is being controlled manually with the Controller. The aircraft is subject to wind and will drift with the prevailing breezes if not controlled, and will not stop on its on when moving as the braking system is disabled.

F Mode is the IOC (Intelligent Orientation Control) (F Mode has to be turned on in the app to be active.
With this mode the aircraft will come toward you when the stick is moved back, go away from you when the stick is moved forward, go right and left when the stick is moved right or left. The heading orinentation ( forward facing or reach facing) does not influence IOC.

Thanks, this clears a lot of interrogations. What do you suggest has a trial flight to start with... And how? I have lots of open spaces for tryouts.
Just take it slowly, unless you have a lot of experience flying quadcopters. the P Mode is the safest, the Atti mode when you become more experienced. Yes, you can try all of them out-- I would suggest about keeping the quad in close range-- not over 150 feet up and away so you can see what it is doing.

I've been using it in P-mode for 1 month now, almost everyday, full GPS (Green) with always at least 11 to 20 sats connected on it. I'd like to try using it in A-atti mode (at least a lift-off) to feel the difference. I think I've built up enough flying skills and confidence to try the A-atti mode. How about altitude? Is it hard to keep it stable "altitude-wise"? Thanks for your last response. I'll keep you posted on how it went.

Why not start by using the flight simulator? Easy to switch modes and see how they behave.

I wouldn't recommend taking off in ATTI. It would be better to take off straight up - get to 100 feet or so - and then switch to ATTI. If you get in trouble - just switch back to GPS.

I've been using it in P-mode for 1 month now, almost everyday, full GPS (Green) with always at least 11 to 20 sats connected on it. I'd like to try using it in A-atti mode (at least a lift-off) to feel the difference. I think I've built up enough flying skills and confidence to try the A-atti mode. How about altitude? Is it hard to keep it stable "altitude-wise"? Thanks for your last response. I'll keep you posted on how it went.

"When in P-mode, your Phantom will automatically switch from P-GPS to P-OPTI when the GPS signal is not sufficient. And, it'll switch to P-ATTI when neither GPS or Vision Positioning are available. It's not possible to manually switch between those three states." in the P Mode

When in A Atti mode -- this is the manual flight mode-- and the GPS is not controlling the aircraft-- it is being controlled manually with the Controller. The aircraft is subject to wind and will drift with the prevailing breezes if not controlled, and will not stop on its on when moving as the braking system is disabled.

F Mode is the IOC (Intelligent Orientation Control) (F Mode has to be turned on in the app to be active.
With this mode the aircraft will come toward you when the stick is moved back, go away from you when the stick is moved forward, go right and left when the stick is moved right or left. The heading orinentation ( forward facing or reach facing) does not influence IOC.

Since there is a Reset in the app, I assume the the orientation has to be set at takeoff. Otherwise when engaged it would be at whatever facing the P3 is. I need to experiment with it, but was hoping somebody that's messed with it can enlighten us. With the P2 it is set at takeoff automatically.

Why not start by using the flight simulator? Easy to switch modes and see how they behave.

I wouldn't recommend taking off in ATTI. It would be better to take off straight up - get to 100 feet or so - and then switch to ATTI. If you get in trouble - just switch back to GPS.
DJI does not offer the simulator yet on Android. Suck a bit.

It's not manual as many people know it. It is ATTI mode. There is no manual mode on the P3.

Does anyone experience not switching to A mode. I got the aircraft up about 60f up and switched to A mode... Nothing happened, it stayed in P (full GPS) or maybe it did but didn't show in the App. Thanks for your support

I think you got home lock on your IOC description. I wish we had home lock, but no joy yet!

At this time, the only mode available on IOC is course lock.

Daniel you have to enable multi flight modes in the app or it will stay in P mode regardless of switch

switched to A mode... Nothing happened, it stayed in P (full GPS)
The last sentence from this section of the manual is relevant.
i-cc3dZfs-L.jpg

The above is confusing. I reckon Bob does a far better job.

In fact he could rewrite the WHOLE manual and vastly improve it. :D;)

Reactions: Jimbocom
Is there speed difference between P and F mode?? Atti is faster than P-mode, but is F-mode faster than P?

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

This may be a better description of the modes than can be found in the manual - but it's not entirely accurate. ATTI mode is not a true "manual mode" and the description of F-mode is completely wrong.

You describe one possible use of F-Mode (Home Lock) that requires BOTH the Home Lock feature be enabled in DJI GO AND the switch be set to F....

The way I understand it is that P mode and F mode are identical - with the exception that F Mode allows programs to take control of the Phantom - such as the special features in DJI Go like Home Lock, Course Lock, POI and Follow. F mode is also required to use any 3rd party app like Litchi, Autopilot, Drone Deploy, etc.... None of the previous named features are possible when in P mode or A mode.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.