Mississippi River Flood Wall in Cape Girardeau Missouri - record crest

Reaction score
Some shots from around the 50-year old flood wall that protects the downtown area. Record river height at 48.8', which is 16' or so over flood stage.

I shot this at sunset, edited and had it uploaded to YouTube within about 2.5 hours. Nothing like rush work! But I DO try to tell a story every time I do a video, I feel that's what makes the difference between just a collection of shots and something a bit more pleasing to the eye. I don't always succeed, but I still try!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Ken Hanks
Clocks like an awful lot of water against an might thin wall. If water get to high hope the wall can handle it. Don't know ho high it had gotten in,past and held. Raging water is MIGHTY powerful. Good luck, nice shots!

Clocks like an awful lot of water against an might thin wall. If water get to high hope the wall can handle it. Don't know ho high it had gotten in,past and held. Raging water is MIGHTY powerful. Good luck, nice shots!
Thank, yeah this is about a foot above the previous record from 1993. The wall was built in 1965 and has never had a major failure. Hydrology is a weird science, and as I understand things it makes no difference how WIDE the river is, only how deep, as to how much pressure is exerted on the wall. (downward forces on the mass of the water being directed to the sides). So if you had a 1' wide river 48' deep, the same amount of floodwall holding power would be required as the full Mississippi width. Weird.

Wow! Great vid! Would liked to have seen a few frames from higher up, but still a very good video.

Wow! Great vid! Would liked to have seen a few frames from higher up, but still a very good video.
Thanks! I started to take 'er up (I did in a few videos earlier in the week) but there were several "sight-seeing" full-sized copters flying around near the bridge, so I decided to play it safe. I've never seen so many helicopters out and about, even with 2 hospitals in town.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen