Mississippi River Floodwall in downtown Cape Girardeau, MO.

Reaction score
With the river around 10' over flood stage, I wanted to show what it looked like from the OTHER side of the downtown floodwall. Early morning shoot, and I tell ya... when you slowly lower your quad down near a river that massive (if it goes in, there's no such thing as recovery haha) it sure does make you pucker up.

But this is what these things can do - show you something from a truly new perspective.
P3P 4K 24fps Log, cloudy WB.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting. I am curious, how did you capture the audio?

Reactions: dirkclod
Interesting. I am curious, how did you capture the audio?

Well, haha, that's just a couple of sound effect tracks. The P3 doesn't record any audio (at least not that I know of) like my old P2 with GoPro did, even if it was just the props and motor sounds.
Instead of just putting some music under it, I thought I'd try to recreate the feel with nature sounds. I used "medium river fast flow" and "city ambience light" tracks from a collection I have, and mixed them in.

But get this, even though those are royalty free tracks, YouTube hit the video with a license claim from some company that has a "Peaceful Mountain Stream" track on some CD. It's basically just white noise, so how did they get that?? And I'm sure that their "Peaceful Mountain Stream" didn't include traffic noise in there, hehe.
I disputed it of course, waiting to see. But man, that's just silly.

Ah, OK. I figured it was something like that. I have used royalty free music in the past and YT did the same to me. It seems if it is not original work you did yourself it flags it... even the sound effects that Apple gives you to use (royalty free), in Garage Band were flagged.

Very good video, leaves one a bit frightened for the people I must say.

Seems like a disaster just waiting to happen for them. Is this within the area the levees broke because of Katrina a few years back?

Last edited:
Very good video, leaves one a bit frightened for the people I must say.

Seems like a disaster just waiting to happen for them. Is this the within the area the levees broke because of Katrina a few years back?

No, thankfully. Cape Girardeau is in Missouri, about 100 miles south of St. Louis. The downtown area here used to flood every few years, so the downtown flood wall was constructed to protect those businesses and keep the historic downtown area viable. There are several large gates that are normally open (white color in the video) for people to walk along the cobblestone riverfront normally. But when the river is up, they close 'em up. There is a large "diversion channel" just south of Cape that helps relieve any pressure at that part of the river. That large channel goes at least 20miles inland - it's huge too.

A couple of years ago the Corps or Engineers DID blast a levee just 30 miles south of here, though. Made national news, destroyed several farms - they did it to relieve the pressure at Cairo, Illinois. Big controversy. But yeah, this a one big ole' river, and she does what she wants.

He is in the Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky trip-state area and that river is the mighty Mississippi. I assume your footage is from upstream from RT. 74? Broadway & N Water?

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 6.28.00 PM✨.png

Reactions: dirkclod
He is in the Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky trip-state area and that river is the mighty Mississippi. I assume your footage is from upstream from RT. 74? Broadway & N Water?

View attachment 24176

Yes, the spot is almost in the direct center of that image, looking west toward the wall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic