missing data on SD card, stripes on video related to propeller movement

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a dji phantom 4, operating it in Beira, Mozambique. On 27 of Oct, there was an event of a 10km run which I filmed with the drone. Everything was working as usual, the app showed it was recording, and I do have the video record backup from the app. When trying to copy the footage to the computer I found out that the video data was not on the SD card, except the last 3 recorded files (starting with DJI0001.mov.) In total I was filming about 11 videos, so the first 8 don’t appear on the SD Card, but they are saved by the DJI GO4 APP. I scaned the sd card with a hidden/corrupted file scanning unit, but didn't find the videos, just old material.

Some extra info, just in case it might be useful: Yes I did stop recording before turning off the drone when changing batteries. The SD card worked fine many times before. It was NOT formatted, and used in the Android tablet before. Maybe that was the error? But when preparing everything the day before, I did a 20 second test recording which was fine. and as said, it did record, but just the last 3 of 11 files.

The day before I had everything recorded fine, but every now and then some stripes appearing on the left or right side, which are clearly related to the propeller movement. It was a very hot day with strong tropical sun. (But I had flown it previously in the same hot conditions without incidents)

Now I am scratching my head with these four questions:

1)Is there anything more I could do to know if the files were written on the SD card and if so to recover the video files?

2)What could be the reason for the problem of data not written?

3)I have copied all the flight data from the tablet. Is there an app which can read flight data and then repeat the same flight? In that way I could maybe try to recover the original quality of the city background for the some photos (which I would export from the 4k video).

4)what could be the reason for the stripes related to propeller movement.

Any considerations are much appreciated.

Greetings from Mozambique

It's strange that only 3 of 11 videos were recorded to the SD card. Once you're sure that there are no recoverable image files on the card, I suggest formatting it in the aircraft before relying on it. I always import from the card to a computer and then reformat the card in the drone before another flying session. If the problem shows up again, try using a different SD card in case the one you used has a problem.

When you switch the camera to video, you should see a large round red dot on the right side of your controller screen. When you start recording, either by tapping that red dot or by pressing the video start/stop button on the left front of your RC, the red dot should shrink to a much smaller size centered in the original circle. If it doesn't, it is not recording. Another way to tell is that there is an elapsed time digital counter displaying below the red dot, so if you're recording you will see the time counter increasing.

The recording sent to your RC and controller device are 720 P in size, but subject to interference if there is any, or weak signal strength. Otherwise you can play that video back from your tablet connected to the RC unit.

Thanks for your reply. I am 100% sure it was recording. Also I do have the backup recording from the app to prove that.
From now I will defiantly format the card before flying, still I don't understand why the test recording before flying was recorded well, and the last 3 files, but the first 8 are not to be found.

I came across reports of other people who's files were not recorded, but I never read about someone else who had just some files recorded. Anyone had a similar experience so far? Or any idea what might be the cause?

Anyone experienced stripes coming in randomly, especially when accelerating, or moving the gimbal?

Reactions: Kenny1
Anyone experienced stripes coming in randomly, especially when accelerating, or moving the gimbal?

Those are reflections etc from the props. It happens when the gimbal in in the right angle and the sun is just right causing shadows or reflections on the camera lens.

Those are reflections etc from the props. It happens when the gimbal in in the right angle and the sun is just right causing shadows or reflections on the camera lens.
Yes, and you can sometimes see the effects of the props on overcast days too, if the gimbal is tilted upwards, because they alter the bright skylight flare reaching the lens, rather like a rotating lens shade!

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for your reply. I am 100% sure it was recording. Also I do have the backup recording from the app to prove that.
From now I will defiantly format the card before flying, still I don't understand why the test recording before flying was recorded well, and the last 3 files, but the first 8 are not to be found.

I came across reports of other people who's files were not recorded, but I never read about someone else who had just some files recorded. Anyone had a similar experience so far? Or any idea what might be the cause?

I too are having a lil trouble retrieving my videos. I cleared my card and some storage. I used a lightning to tablet and phone. I tried leaving a/c on. I have gotten some good video but cannot seam to get imported now for some reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers