mini4

It works, I wouldn't say well. It's an old processor and the whole tablet is way overpriced. The new iPad 5th and 6th gen are far superior devices.

I went with it for my v 2.0 after issues I had with some adroid tablets. Woorks well for me, but I only shoot photos no videos.

Thanks to all of you that posted I guess I am disppointed that I cant use my mini2 but I can still use it on my Autell X Star premium

If you are going for an Apple product, I agree with Just_Nick. Go for a full-size iPad. Bigger screen and probably lower price. I would even recommend purchasing a refurbished from the Apple Store for a price break, which is what I did. Looks and works like new and even comes with the same warranty. I cannot tell that it isn't new. It also just makes it into the P4 controller bracket. I'm very happy with mine.

If you are going for an Apple product, I agree with Just_Nick. Go for a full-size iPad. Bigger screen and probably lower price. I would even recommend purchasing a refurbished from the Apple Store for a price break, which is what I did. Looks and works like new and even comes with the same warranty. I cannot tell that it isn't new. It also just makes it into the P4 controller bracket. I'm very happy with mine.

Good Afternoon, I have a question in ref to useing a full size iPad. I’m relatively new to this hobby, 20 flights on a P4 standard. I’ve been useing my iPhone 5s and the current version of dji go4 . I’ve had great success with this combination . I would like to increase the screen size , by going full size iPad. I’m very confused on which one will be compatible to run the app , to acquire a seem-less transition from the 5S. It will be solely for flying, that’s it. I’ve considered the Dji googles, but that opens up another can of worms, with the hdmi port needing to be implemented to fly with both. Just want a inexpensive older refurbished if possible iPad that will do the job . Thanks

You will find on the 2nd and 3rd pages some 9.7" iPads (6th Generation) 32GB WiFi only refurbs for $279 -- which is what I am using with my P4P and it works great. It doesn't have an HDMI port, but I'm not interested in using Goggles anyway. Like I said, you won't be able to tell the tablet is refurbished if you get it directly from Apple. You get everything in the box that you would get if purchased new, and it's all spotless.

Refurbished iPad

ScreenShot.png

You will find on the 2nd and 3rd pages some 9.7" iPads (6th Generation) 32GB WiFi only refurbs for $279 -- which is what I am using with my P4P and it works great. It doesn't have an HDMI port, but I'm not interested in using Goggles anyway. Like I said, you won't be able to tell the tablet is refurbished if you get it directly from Apple. You get everything in the box that you would get if purchased new, and it's all spotless.

Refurbished iPad

View attachment 105802

Wonderful, that’s what I’m looking for , I’ve seen many for sale , but never spoke to anyone doing what I’m looking for (if that makes sense) . I’m always leary it won’t work on the P4 platform and the Dji go4 app. I have no interest in the HDMI mod as well , that was going to be a alternative, with the googles. Hopefully I can find one with iOS 10 or more. I’m under the impression that DGI doesn’t support10 and under anymore for firmware updates.
Thank you for responding,
Steve

Wonderful, that’s what I’m looking for , I’ve seen many for sale , but never spoke to anyone doing what I’m looking for (if that makes sense) . I’m always leary it won’t work on the P4 platform and the Dji go4 app. I have no interest in the HDMI mod as well , that was going to be a alternative, with the googles. Hopefully I can find one with iOS 10 or more. I’m under the impression that DGI doesn’t support10 and under anymore for firmware updates.
Thank you for responding,
Steve

Also are you useing cellular or WiFi for the maps?

I'm only using wifi. I make sure I have opened Google Earth to display the area I want to fly before leaving my house to cache the image - and I don't totally shut off the iPad, just let it go into sleep mode. (The battery will last a long time in that state.) I'll also open the flight software I wish to use and do the same. In really remote locations, my company has a portable wifi hot spot that I can bring along with me just in case the iPad shuts down and I lose the image and I need a wifi connection to call it up again. As an alternative, if in a populated area, I can stop at a local McDonalds, Panara Bread, library, etc. with free wifi to call up Google Earth image again. But that has only happened to me once. I really find no problem operating with wifi alone. My iPad does not have cellular capability.

I recently saw a post that incorrectly stated that the tablet will not be GPS capable if it doesn't have cellular service. My wifi-only iPad always asks if it can use my current location when running certain apps -- so it does know where I am when I am on wifi. When I am without wifi internet access in the field, as long as the georeferenced satellite image (or map) is in memory, the Phantom's GPS will tie into the satellite image and know where it is at all times during flight.

Last edited:
I'm only using wifi. I make sure I have opened Google Earth to display the area I want to fly before leaving my house to cache the image - and I don't totally shut off the iPad, just let it go into sleep mode. (The battery will last a long time in that state.) I'll also open the flight software I wish to use and do the same. In really remote locations, my company has a portable wifi hot spot that I can bring along with me just in case the iPad shuts down and I lose the image and I need a wifi connection to call it up again. As an alternative, if in a populated area, I can stop at a local McDonalds, Panara Bread, library, etc. with free wifi to call up Google Earth image again. But that has only happened to me once. I really find no problem operating with wifi alone. My iPad does not have cellular capability.

I recently saw a post that incorrectly stated that the tablet will not be GPS capable if it doesn't have cellular service. My wifi-only iPad always asks if it can use my current location when running certain apps -- so it does know where I am when I am on wifi. When I am without wifi internet access in the field, as long as the georeferenced satellite image (or map) is in memory, the Phantom's GPS will tie into the satellite image and know where it is at all times during flight.

Very nice , thank you for all the informative information. You have filled all the unanswered questions that I’ve been hunting for . I’ve visited the web site you provided, found your machine, and in the process of placing my order. I would like to stay in touch as I progress through this new hobby. I notice your a L.I. Guy .I too grew up there . I retired form the large aerospace company located out of Bethpage for 31 years. Thank you again for all the valuable information.
Steve

I recently saw a post that incorrectly stated that the tablet will not be GPS capable if it doesn't have cellular service.
With respect, it is actually a well known fact that wifi only iPads do not have the ability to access GPS networks.

My wifi-only iPad always asks if it can use my current location when running certain apps -- so it does know where I am when I am on wifi.
This is not at all the same as accessing GPS, and this can not be used for the optional features which require GPS at the location of the RC.

When I am without wifi internet access in the field, as long as the georeferenced satellite image (or map) is in memory, the Phantom's GPS will tie into the satellite image and know where it is at all times during flight.
This is accurate. The AC’s internal GPS knows where it is and can show where the AC is located on maps which were cached in advance. It still however is not able to locate an RC that is using a device with no GPS.

I hope this clears it up for you and for @jagman08

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks, Oso. Well, I guess I'm confused when it comes to the technical side of GPS if the above is correct. All I know is that wherever I happen to be (even if in a hotel in Montana), as long as I am on a wifi network my iPad can zero in on my coordinates and accurately pinpoint my exact location when running apps without me having to enter my address. Does it know where I am when driving my car -- no because I have neither wifi nor cellular conection in that situation. I do understand that my iPad is not like a GPS stand-alone device that will instantly lock onto satellites as soon as it is turned on. But it does seem to know my current location when connected to wifi be it at the office or at home.

"It still however is not able to locate an RC that is using a device with no GPS."

I guess you're saying that my iPad can't directly communicate with the Phantom's GPS and tell it where I am standing. I'll have to notice the next time I use Litchi if it shows the RC location as a blue dot on the screen. Have never really felt a need to pay attention to that, and maybe it hasn't even been on my screen all this time. I'm usually only concerned that I see a Home Point indicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: jagman08

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.