microSD Card compatibility

Reaction score
Does drone firmware has anything to do with the camera or gimbal?
I am asking because i have two brand new cards 32gb class 10 and they both can`t record video! I can take pictures fine, but when i start video recording the counter does not start and the shutter button is not active anymore. The light on the gimbal starts to flash slowly in red, and in about 1 min. starts flashing faster and the error comes up about the car error or something like that..... Then i can`t format it from the app. If i remove it and insert it again then i can format it fine, but still exactly the same- CAN take pictures, but CANNOT record video. It doesn`t work even with 720P resolution. On the other hand i have 16gb card Kinston class 10 as well and it works perfect even with 2.7K videos.
One of my 32gb cards is microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I 400x (Premium) and the other 32gb card is exactly the same as the 16gb one but 32gb. they are identical except the size.
Did format it in my PC, even did the non quick format option as well. I tried formating it in exFAT then insert it in the camera and after it suggested to format it i did it but still the same result after that.
I don`t thing there is anything left to try so i was wondering if FW has anything to do wit the 32gb capacity or something else regarding video recording...
Any clues.....? or suggestions?

Not likely. I buy only U3 cards anymore... found out that not all Class 10/U1 will work reliably. The reason you can record photos but not videos is obvious - a photo is a write-one-time thing and a relatively small file... video is constantly streaming to the card - so the card must be able to keep up.

video_speed class_01.jpg

Last edited:
After much dicking around I only use Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB cards now. They're properly fast and I can also use them in my main cameras with the SD adapter.
Use H2testw app to prove that a card is what it claims to be - even cards bought online through reputable suppliers can be fake.

btw, I bought a couple of these card holders because they keep the cards securely, but visible so it's easy to pick. I keep cards that will work with my P3s on one, and cards that don't on the 2nd one. Will be getting a couple more too as my card collection grows ;)

Thank you all for the suggestions and opinions! The only reason i was asking is that i have two identical microSD cards from same manufacturer - one is 16 and the other i 32GB and the one with 16GB capacity works with no problem but the one with 32GB capacity does not. That`s why i decided to ask about the FW relation...
I used "SpeedOut" soft and it showed a writing speed of 15 MB/s which should be good enough for recording 1080p.
Thanks!

15MB/s doesn't sound very high to me - if I connect my microSD cards via a USB3 reader connected to a native slot I actually get a consistent write speed of over 50MB/s and read of 88MB/s

I also notice that features like 'pano' in Litchi are far more reliable (no dropped pics) when using very fast cards.

Download h2testw and run the numbers on both of your cards, chose full test (all sectors) as this will show up any slow/broken areas.

After having two Sandisk 64 gig Micro SD cards die (failed in flight and ridiculously hot when removed from gimble) I wouldn’t use one if it was free.

Two hot cards in the same gimble? Are other makes OK?

Brand is a funny thing, I won't buy Kingston memory cards because I lost some holiday photos once years ago. And I'll never buy OCZ SSD drives as long as I live!

I am asking because i have two brand new cards 32gb class 10 and they both can`t record video! I can take pictures fine, but when i start video recording the counter does not start and the shutter button is not active anymore. The light on the gimbal starts to flash slowly in red, and in about 1 min. starts flashing faster and the error comes up about the car error or something like that..... Then i can`t format it from the app. If i remove it and insert it again then i can format it fine, but still exactly the same- CAN take pictures, but CANNOT record video. It doesn`t work even with 720P resolution. On the other hand i have 16gb card Kinston class 10 as well and it works perfect even with 2.7K videos.
One of my 32gb cards is microSDHC Class 10 UHS-I 400x (Premium) and the other 32gb card is exactly the same as the 16gb one but 32gb. they are identical except the size.
Did format it in my PC, even did the non quick format option as well. I tried formating it in exFAT then insert it in the camera and after it suggested to format it i did it but still the same result after that.
I don`t thing there is anything left to try so i was wondering if FW has anything to do wit the 32gb capacity or something else regarding video recording...
Any clues.....? or suggestions?
Hey StoyanK, my phantom 3se does the exact same thing you described. Did you ever find a solution? Or at least find out what the problem was

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20