Micro SD card slot won't hold card.

Mine had worked perfectly on my P3 Adv for nearly 4 months, but last night after I removed the card to view the photos and videos on my laptop, it would not go back in. It makes an audible click, but it will not hold the card. I've tried 3 different cards, and none of them will seat properly in the slot. I'm not sure how those slots are made, but my guess is a latch of some sort must have broken. All 3 cards, incidentally, work perfectly fine in my laptop card reader.

I guess it's time to contact DJI support. Unfortunately, I bought mine directly from DJI so I'll have to ship it back for warranty repairs.
If you can, look carefully into the slot. A small amount of debris will prevent it from latching. DJI really should not leave that thing sitting out in plain view. Should be covered by a plug or something.

If you can, look carefully into the slot. A small amount of debris will prevent it from latching. DJI really should not leave that thing sitting out in plain view. Should be covered by a plug or something.
I had the same thing happen to my Trail cam, a sealed environment, after a year of use. I looked to see if I could fix it, but the SD reader was on the board and a piece of it must have broken off. The manufacturer replaced the camera.
I now alway wonder how long it will be before my P3, also a year old, will fail. And I'm out of warranty. {'~'}
This would probably require a gimbal replacement.

I had the same thing happen to my Trail cam, a sealed environment, after a year of use. I looked to see if I could fix it, but the SD reader was on the board and a piece of it must have broken off. The manufacturer replaced the camera.
I now alway wonder how long it will be before my P3, also a year old, will fail. And I'm out of warranty. {'~'}
This would probably require a gimbal replacement.
Yes, it will likely require a gimbal replacement. Then you can sell me you almost perfect gimbal and I can grab my tweezers and magnifiers and fix it. But DJI won't be arsed to do anything that detailed. Nobody does these days.

It's interesting, I've been on this forum for almost a year and have not run across this particular issue before. I'm sure it exists - failed micro SD slots are all over the industry and in general, the idiot that designed the microSD spec should be stuffed in a deep and unpleasantly odoriferous hole along with the clowns that created HDMI, but it doesn't seem to be all that common on Phantoms.

Reactions: Dounin Front
MicroSD slots are fragile, there are just so many insertions after they go bad. I try to alternate SD ejection with microUSB downloads to prolong it's life. I'm curious how accessible microSD slot on PCB? It's not super hard to replace if pins are not tucked under slot's body...

MicroSD slots are fragile, there are just so many insertions after they go bad. I try to alternate SD ejection with microUSB downloads to prolong it's life. I'm curious how accessible microSD slot on PCB? It's not super hard to replace if pins are not tucked under slot's body...
True, but 10,000 insertions ought to be enough for anyone.

The USB connector is also rated for a certain number of insertions (about the same number IIRC) but the problem with it is that is is SLOOOOOOOOW.

Your strategy might make sense if you were planning on keeping your Phantom for a couple of decades. Otherwise, not so much.

Reactions: Bratan
True, but 10,000 insertions ought to be enough for anyone.

The USB connector is also rated for a certain number of insertions (about the same number IIRC) but the problem with it is that is is SLOOOOOOOOW.

Your strategy might make sense if you were planning on keeping your Phantom for a couple of decades. Otherwise, not so much.
Oh I didn't realize it was that many! :) I use some SMD headers on my boards that only rated for 100 insertions... Yeah in that case I wouldn't even use USB port...

Oh I didn't realize it was that many! :) I use some SMD headers on my boards that only rated for 100 insertions... Yeah in that case I wouldn't even use USB port...
Well, that's what the spec sheet for a random reader on the Internet says. I think that's in the MicroSD technical spec as well. The problem is that DJI might have picked a dodgy supplier or might not have been perfect installing them. Something like that canted a few degrees out of spec puts lots of strain on everything. Details matter.

I hate MicroSD almost as much as I hate HDMI. It is definitely a weak link on the Phantoms. Just try dropping one of the tiny little cards on the ground. I dare you.

Mine just failed...2 months into use....just now hearing about DJI's repair time frame..how long realistically could I be waiting?

Mine just failed...2 months into use....just now hearing about DJI's repair time frame..how long realistically could I be waiting?
Kind of a crap shoot. Sometimes they have a pretty quick turnaround, other times not so much. This would likely be a board swap, it could be done in about 30 minutes with some extra amount of time for testing.

But time door to door? Who knows. Unfortunately the only other option is to buy the board and install it yourself.

Well I've been indoctrinated into the Crappy DJI Support World. Emailed last night about my card issue, got a response today, they don't know what I'm talking about and need a photo. I write back and tell them a photo won't show it so I give them a link to YOUTUBE video that shows the issue, they write back telling me they can't view video, so then I send an attached MP4 of the video, they still can't view. I thought it was mentioned they were aware of this issue? Why the run around? Also, if they can't ever view what I describe where does that leave it?

Follow up to my issue. I contacted Neary Drones whom I have a policy with about this issue. They have been Stellar in their handling of this. Option to send in for a 6-10 day turnaround repair or to send me a replacement camera I can install and send bad one back. I opted for option 2. Not having to deal with DJI for repairs makes this insurance worth it alone, not to mention the other protections you get...

Neary Aerial - Drone and UAV Extended Warranty

Reactions: Neary Aerial
Same thing just now. New on Aug 11 about 15 flights and the MicroSD slot is shot. Sent service request to DJI since I bought from them directly but reading these threads, sounds like I'm screwed for a while. I can't believe that this is happening... When I insert the MSD you can hear that there is something wrong. Tried several cards, it's shot. I hope the $299 1 year service policy is worth something...

Follow up to my issue. I contacted Neary Drones whom I have a policy with about this issue. They have been Stellar in their handling of this. Option to send in for a 6-10 day turnaround repair or to send me a replacement camera I can install and send bad one back. I opted for option 2. Not having to deal with DJI for repairs makes this insurance worth it alone, not to mention the other protections you get...

Neary Aerial - Drone and UAV Extended Warranty

Happy to help! Fly safely!

Reactions: bkushner

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic