Mexico Drone Laws in 2019?

Reaction score
(I've also posted this is the MavicPilots Regulations forum)

I don't mean to ask a question that has already been answered but I think I've read most of what is posted here and elsewhere about the "new" 2018/2019 regulations about foreign citizens flying a drone in Mexico. And I'm still not sure what the truth is. So here are my questions:

1. Is is now true that only Mexican citizens can fly a small UAV (eg Mavic 2 Pro) in Mexico (so long as they have the proper license)?
2. If "Yes" to #1, can you point me to an official site that states this? (I've searched the Mexican Civil Aviation Authority site and have found nothing official)
3. If it is illegal for non-citizens to fly, what happens to my drone when I go through customs? (I'm assuming that possession of a drone isn't against the law)
4. Perhaps most importantly, given the absence of any authoritative, official evidence of the illegality of foreign citizens flying a drone in Mexico under the new December, 2018 regulations, what are your actual experiences since December of taking a drone to Mexico? I'd be especially interested in knowing the experiences of a US citizen going to Mexico in January with a drone.

Thanks.

Regulations in Mexico will vary depending on two things. Your wallet, and the mood of the official that you tangle with. I will be there next month and hope to find those answers myself. I will not take a chance on trying to get one across the border until I have better info.

Reactions: skymonkey
Regulations in Mexico will vary depending on two things. Your wallet, and the mood of the official that you tangle with. I will be there next month and hope to find those answers myself. I will not take a chance on trying to get one across the border until I have better info.

This was posted in my message on the MavicPilots forum. It seems authoritative and encouraging.

Drone Laws in Mexico | UAV Coach (2018)

I took my Spark to Mexico (north of Cancun) in October. They had almost the same laws as USA. No problems and I took some great photos.

Reactions: jephoto
I'm in the same position. Going to Cozumel in latter part of April, and waiting for someone to report back about experiences between now and April.

I currently work on aviation regulation in Mexico. There are regulations in place very similar to the US. If the drone exceeds certain weight you need a license. There is no problem with DJI amateur drones. Also, dont fly near airports or you can get a heavy fine. Nonetheless, there are few inspectors so its difficult to get fined or checked

I am arriving in Cancun tomorrow. Should I be worried about bringing a DJ Mavic Spark drone through customs tomorrow? I have found conflicting information online.

I am arriving in Cancun tomorrow. Should I be worried about bringing a DJ Mavic Spark drone through customs tomorrow? I have found conflicting information online.

Please update this after your arrival. Be on Cozumel next weekend

sucks that no one updated this thread once they came back from their trip. Any problem taking a mavic there. I have been to mexico with my P3 and Mavic over 6 six times in the last few years but now i hear about these new rules as of 2019, yet no information is available!

I made a new thread first part of the week about my arrival in Cozumel. I had checked the drone through in a Case Club case except the batteries that I carried on carryon luggage. Went through Mexican customs without a hitch, going through the xray scanner with no questions. Got the green light, and we were out of there

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj