Methods of Discharging Battery

Damon said:
Redwood said:
I just drained 2 of my batteries last night. The first battery was pretty low and I let it sit for 10 minutes with the motors spinning at idle. For the second battery I decided I would keep the motors off and it took a very long time to go from 25% to 0%..

Everything I read says to discharge down to 8%. I've read that taking a LIPO below certain levels can cause a large amount of problems, thus preventing it from being able to charge back up again.

Not sure about this. I know it says discharge to AT LEAST 8% but it doesn't say avoid reaching 0% does it? I only let it get that low once every 20 charges. I've never had a problem but I'm knocking on wood!

BMS will protect the cells from OD (over discharge). I don’t use DJI BMS batteries but I’ve owned and operated over 100qty RC Lipo bricks/packs over the past several years. With a BMS running them down occasionally is likely needed to allow the BMS to re-calibrate to the ever changing cell IR.

If I owned/used several DJI batteries I’d probably look into a Carbon Pile load tester used for automotive battery testing. http://www.harborfreight.com/500-amp-carbon-pile-load-tester-91129.html

Or, as mentioned maybe some 12VDC high wattage lamps but the Carbon Pile is just about as perfect a discharge load as you’re likely to find.

For just an occasional discharge, anchoring the bird @ idle with fairly depleted pack would probably be my choice.

I fly untill all LEDs are RED indicating the battery is low, I then power down, take the battery out and then turn the battery on while NOT plugged into the P2 and leave it till the lights on the battery metter are no longer flashing at all, I then charge it. Does anyone think that when not in use it is good practice to take the batteries out of the R.C. also?

there's really only 1 location for your transmitter, and that's on the underside of the main body behind the gimbal... a lot of us use outdoor double sided tape to secure the transmitter to the body. Don't mount the transmitter in the exact middle pointing straight back because then the antenna plug will get in the way of you being able to remove the battery.
If you want your Tx pointing straight back, at least shift it off to one side. Alternately you can mount it at a slight angle but make sure you keep the transmitter's antenna AWAY from the compass on the leg.
see this thread for a picture of that compass

I just noticed my antenna is pointed away from the compass but on the same side as the compass, I have never had any isses untill a few flights ago this summer (before that ive only flown in winter) and not i am constantly getting failsafe mid flight and keeps auto landing EVERY flight, can this be part of the issue and I should re-mount my antenna before the next IMU calibration?

Should u Drain Battery completely every time you fly and then recharge ?? because I have been recharging at 17% reserve on the battery ...
10.8 volts is usually the sweet spot for these batteries. This is when I usually land sometimes I stay out longer but 17% is too low of a battery level to fly down to on every flight. I usually only fly to the battery level I plan to store at which is around 40-50%. When I hit 10.8 volts I land. Pay attention to the volts when your flying that is going to be more important than battery percentage. If you want to fly below your storage battery level I would advise you to fly no lower than 30% 25%. This will help prevent you from hitting the auto land threshold prematurely which is a known issue with these battieires. After all the eary auto land stories I have read on here I do not trust these batteries at all so my advice is to be cautious espeically when flying over water.

I just noticed my antenna is pointed away from the compass but on the same side as the compass, I have never had any isses untill a few flights ago this summer (before that ive only flown in winter) and not i am constantly getting failsafe mid flight and keeps auto landing EVERY flight, can this be part of the issue and I should re-mount my antenna before the next IMU calibration?

couple things - I'm not sure if it's directly related but I do think it would be a good idea to re-mount your FPV transmitter away from the compass. I'm not sure exactly what behavior occurs with compass interference but it's possible.
The problem is there's all sorts of reasons the P2 will go into failsafe / RTH / autoland. What sort of distances is it doing that to you at? When a P2 goes into FS/RTH mode, it will turn to face home point and start flying "forwards" towards home point. you should be able to toggle the right hand switch on your RC down and back up and resume control... does that work?

Here's where I mounted my TX and I have not had any problems with compass in over 13 months.
IMG_1554.jpg

And it's very seldom that I calibrate the compass before a flight unless I've had the shell off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub