Metal Propeller Brackets/prop to bracket fitment

Reaction score
I ordered a set of metal prop brackets as I understand the stock plastic brackets fail over time, crack after some number of flights.

Rather than worry about it I figured the metal ones would be the best way to eliminate that as a possible failure point.

I put them on and couldn't help notice they don't lock the same as the factory mounts, do not lock as deeply.

Ya know when turning to lock the prop on the stock plastic mounts the prop rises "up" locking itself into place. I didn't take exact measurements but for comparison value lets say on the stock mounts the prop rises after overcoming the lock point up .1875 of an inch.

The metal mounts the props only rise once clear of the locking point maybe half that distance of only .09375 of an inch.

"Locked" yes seems to be but I do question the fit as not locked by much IMO.

Is this condition normal for all the metal brackets sold past and present?

I'd say screw it send them back but I'm only able to find 2 or 3 suppliers that have them and it appears they all offer the same exact part getting em from the same source?

Anyone with experience with them offer any words of wisdom. Trying to save off the time for painstaking comparisons/measurements see what the deal is, visually they look near identical/fit the motor nice.

Thanks,

Dan

I have not tried the metal mounts, but I have read mostly negative reviews. Yes, the stock props and mounts do require replacement periodically, but the general findings with the metal mounts is that they wear down the prop hubs faster - metal vs plastic - requiring more frequent prop replacement. When it comes to props and batteries I say go stock.

Yip after thinking and changing to the spring set up ,stay original I had some white powder under myour plastic ones which tells me when there some play it's going to wear and could cause a prop to break it's plastic lugs inside inner prop,,,yes they must look good but plastic and metals don't mix well.....good question to Chuck out there

Yea stock Dji props and no I'm not happy with the mount to prop fit at all with these metal parts.

Was looking for others to chime in with something like "yea normal for those been using them for a couple years, run em you'll be just fine", had my doubts but it was worth a shot!

Props yea don't care how long they last and fairly obvious when time to replace them. Those plastic mounts not so much, crack one and don't notice it could equate to prop loss mid flight/drone instantly transforms to flight characteristics similar to that of a brick.

I'm just going to send the metal brackets back and order a few of factory plastic mounts instead, every couple three dozen flights or so toss em for fresh new set!!

Yet one more thing to keep track of, oh well is what it is..

Looked into it cost a whole 10 bucks so not worth the time and effort to return them.

Instead I thought I'd see why they don't lock and see if I could correct the problem without much effort.

I fitted a screw to them to use as a handle so I could put them in and out of a prop without them having to be mounted to a motor to do so.

Right off the bat noted they wouldn't fully lock as they where too tight and didn't have the machined edges broke down.

A moment with a small fine file on each one had them snapping into place just like they would with the stock plastic brackets.

Then spend a minute deburring all edges where they interlock into the prop's hub so as they'd slide in and out of place without binding.

That is very likely the reason some or all those that have attempted to use them noticed white powder as evidence of metal on plastic wear.
The factory CNC machining that leaves them with very crisp sharp edges then add to that the effects of anodizing resulting in the black set being ever so slightly larger than that of mill color "white" brackets (same color as the "white" set under the black).

Anyway I also treated them with a little graphite to reduce effects of abrading against one another the first few minutes of flight. Allow them to further buff the metal smooth beyond what I did myself.

Real happy with the end result but holding out on final verdict as I am going to run them for a couple flights, see what if any effect that has on the props now that they fit real nice.

I'd rather replace props now and then even if due to a little wear than worry about missing a cracked and weaken mount, lose a prop do to them being plastic instead of metal. Those plastic brackets being a known failure point and at for the most part, an unknown number of flight minutes/hours whathaveya before it happens.

I do see the props as an expendable wear item, the brackets that they attach to the motor with? nope not so much!

Last edited:
Reactions: lolo780
Heck I should update this post, I have been running the metal prop mounts for several months now.

I've ran the same 4 props and want to report zero hub damage.

The props fit snug on the mounts not allowing for any free play without binding just like the plastic to plastic fit. I turn and then pull up a little to lock them aiding the spring action pulling them into place.
I did that with the plastic mounts and do the same with my mavic so no change there, part of the pre flight making double sure all props are all the way up and locked.

Here a couple days ago I ordered in a set of the 9455S low noise version of the props to try em out. They take the nasty sting out of the tone emanating from it, not as quiet as a mavic by comparison no but any little bit helps with that one!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1