Members attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think some trolling is necessary when cautions are made regarding drone pilots that fly way outside of local regulatory guidelines or rules. We do want to protect us all from those who abuse the law and might cause a new round of tighter restrictions. So the issue is not with trolling ... but rather than the tone of the troll. Attacking inappropriate drone piloting is OK in my mind. Attacking pilots is not.
I respect you Russ, but I disagree. Correcting and attacking are quite different. Attacking is counter productive. It puts people on the defense and builds a wall Of rebellion. Correcting with kindness helps prevent that wall from being built. Kindness and love is a conduit for building relations and understanding. Not that sometimes we have to be firm, but in love.

I do think some trolling is necessary when cautions are made regarding drone pilots that fly way outside of local regulatory guidelines or rules. We do want to protect us all from those who abuse the law and might cause a new round of tighter restrictions. So the issue is not with trolling ... but rather than the tone of the troll. Attacking inappropriate drone piloting is OK in my mind. Attacking pilots is not.

I think we must have different definitions of trolling:

troll
noun
a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post. • a deliberately offensive or provocative online post.​
verb
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them​
That's never acceptable in my opinion.

I’ve been hanging around these forums for a few years now and for the most part people are helpful. There are the occasional back and forth and some people get snarky as the OP says, but for the most part people are helpful, especially when things go wrong and your looking for help.

Completely agree! I cant even begin to count the number of folks on the various drone boards that have clearly revealed themselves to be operating (repeatedly) illegally. Many times they simply don't know what/that they don't know, but things go to another level when they will not even consider that a possibility. Or worse, they DO know but don't care; ala "I've been flyin' RCs for 50years burble, burble, burble".

Like it or not but the world has forever changed for hobby drone pilots and I personally don't consider it "trolling" to call them out; there's just too much at stake.

Maybe i misread OP point but I've been thinking of other sort of scale-less and hostile posts and reactions. Maybe I'm on The Spectrum or something but those kinds of things always confuse the [Language Removed by Moderator] out of me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Very true but that's a tough line to maintain for many of us (myself included).

Reactions: dirkclod
I respect you Russ, but I disagree. Correcting and attacking are quite different. Attacking is counter productive. It puts people on the defense and builds a wall Of rebellion. Correcting with kindness helps prevent that wall from being built. Kindness and love is a conduit for building relations and understanding. Not that sometimes we have to be firm, but in love.

I don’t consider trolling as attacking ... my definition may be wrong. I look at it as seeking pilot actions that are outside of acceptable and informing the pilot with the hope that the pilot will be motivated to invest in learning the national and local rules.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I don’t consider trolling as attacking ... my definition may be wrong. I look at it as seeking pilot actions that are outside of acceptable and informing the pilot with the hope that the pilot will be motivated to invest in learning the national and local rules.

What you are describing is fine, but it's not trolling. Trolling is deliberately attempting to offend/annoy/provoke, it's not constructive criticism or advice.

Hi Friends
I joined this forum to meet and discuss the hobby/industry with other enthusiasts and have fun away from the stressful world we
All live in.
I find a lot people posting and making snarky obnoxious comments to other members. All are allowed their opinions and some of us might be new so might ask questions or discuss subjects trivial to others.
Please this is a happy place to go so I feel people need to be more respectful to others.
Thanks for listening.
Happy flying [emoji41]
I can't agree more!

Reactions: TheKestrel
Just ignore them. The bad finish by them selves.
I joined this site to get updates on the soil fertilization project taking place in the Arctic. Specifically, the project at Toolic Field Station in Alaska. I'm sorry to say I've found this site to be less than useful. In fact, it's proven utterly useless. The only thing the collection of yahoo's on this site ever talks about is drones! As a result, I will not be recommending this site to my colleagues.

• Angry
Reactions: DoomMeister
I joined this site to get updates on the soil fertilization project taking place in the Arctic. Specifically, the project at Toolic Field Station in Alaska. I'm sorry to say I've found this site to be less than useful. In fact, it's proven utterly useless. The only thing the collection of yahoo's on this site ever talks about is drones! As a result, I will not be recommending this site to my colleagues.
Then I can fix it for you if you if you find us useless if you can’t figure out how to log out and not log back in but do not ever call
our members names. This is a Drone forum and that’s what we discuss here.
And if your colleagues are anything like you please do not recommend them here. ?

Gosh what old thread been dug up here,good read though,,,yip must say I been guilty and it's not tolerated, I'm lucky to still be here,I'm know to be bit grumpy but this is great forum to learn from the knowledge between all is incredible,,I cant say I have seen anything like you describe in way of updates for this project, question,,why ,look here ?was it posted,,cant say I have heard of it which in turn I guess means no one can awnser your question..
Course we talk drones ,its a drone forum but not related there's a off topic where you can discuss what's for dinner or other topics not drone related,,

Reactions: 3rdof5
Then I can fix it for you if you if you find us useless if you can’t figure out how to log out and not log back in but do not ever call
our members names. This is a Drone forum and that’s what we discuss here.
And if your colleagues are anything like you please do not recommend them here. ?
Were you being serious or have I finally found someone at long last whose sense of humor is just as warped as my own?

I'm a little punchy right now because I'm finally RTF again after being grounded by the P4 standard remote control problem.

I was crushed when it happened. I learned about the solution (reflowing the circuit board) here on Phantom Pilots and it worked! I was charging 68%! Then I did something stupid and tried to get more. I burned something out and was never able to get it working again.

Today I just unboxed my brand new Mavic mini 2 and I'm thrilled! The first thing I did was log back into this site to start getting up to speed on all the new laws and changes I need to be aware of before my new drone's maiden voyage and saw the post on members' attitudes. It struck me that we all are here because we want to be connected with like-minded people, where we can learn from each other. People are people and we will be and sometimes get a little cranky or snippy with each other. But the truth is, if I had to be locked in a room with another person for 24 hours with a choice between some dweeb that knows all about spreading fertilizer ( Mod Removed Language )in Alaska or a cranky know-it-all drone pilot, I'm going with the cranky know-it-all drone pilot every time because we're going to have something to talk about.

By the way, Treasure Island used to be my favorite place to fly. From what I'm reading it looks like it's still okay to fly there but they have restricted us to specific areas on the island now... Is that correct?

Were you being serious or have I finally found someone at long last whose sense of humor is just as warped as my own?

I'm a little punchy right now because I'm finally RTF again after being grounded by the P4 standard remote control problem.

I was crushed when it happened. I learned about the solution (reflowing the circuit board) here on Phantom Pilots and it worked! I was charging 68%! Then I did something stupid and tried to get more. I burned something out and was never able to get it working again.

Today I just unboxed my brand new Mavic mini 2 and I'm thrilled! The first thing I did was log back into this site to start getting up to speed on all the new laws and changes I need to be aware of before my new drone's maiden voyage and saw the post on members' attitudes. It struck me that we all are here because we want to be connected with like-minded people, where we can learn from each other. People are people and we will be and sometimes get a little cranky or snippy with each other. But the truth is, if I had to be locked in a room with another person for 24 hours with a choice between some dweeb that knows all about spreading fertilizer Mod Removed Language)in Alaska or a cranky know-it-all drone pilot, I'm going with the cranky know-it-all drone pilot every time because we're going to have something to talk about.

By the way, Treasure Island used to be my favorite place to fly. From what I'm reading it looks like it's still okay to fly there but they have restricted us to specific areas on the island now... Is that correct?
Did you say you learned from here but its totally useless,,did I miss something lol,,
Well glad you got your p4 going and the new mav sounds da a treat,,,and glad you learned something from this helpful crowd and tell your mates too,,unsure with your location on rules,I'm in NZ so cant coment on that
Happy new year

Today I just unboxed my brand new Mavic mini 2 and I'm thrilled! The first thing I did was log back into this site to start getting up to speed on all the new laws and changes I need to be aware of before my new drone's maiden voyage and saw the post on members' attitudes. It struck me that we all are here because we want to be connected with like-minded people, where we can learn from each other. People are people and we will be and sometimes get a little cranky or snippy with each other. But the truth is, if I had to be locked in a room with another person for 24 hours with a choice between some dweeb that knows all about spreading fertilizer (bullsh*t) in Alaska or a cranky know-it-all drone pilot, I'm going with the cranky know-it-all drone pilot every time because we're going to have something to talk about.

Im always pretty dead serious most of the time and but can be flexible unless it comes to our guidelines. Then I mean what is say. Have never cared for other's calling folks names since I joined but can fix that now.
Hate it about your bird but been there and know how it feels and also know about being punchy as I'm on 4 to 6 hours aday everyday in 7 of our forums and don't think that make you be quick.
As far as Treasure Island I have no clue but if you have a Mavic now you should join
our MavicPilots forum. Be sure when ya do to go by intros's. See ya there if ya dare ;)

Sorry about the yahoo comment. It's a southern term meant to describe a group of people having too much fun. I just edited this response to keep it all kosher.

The point I was trying to make to the original poster in this thread is that I agree, we can all be a little bit nicer and more tolerant towards each other. There simply can't be too much of that. Just keep in mind we are all on the same team nowadays and our numbers are growing. The tolerance part swings both ways. Those of us who still have much to learn need to keep in mind when we get a short, blunt, or even rude response on a subject one of our resident experts may have already written about endlessly or it's a question they may have already answered a thousand times. I can understand, it gets irritating.

After being away from the community for more than a year it's amazing how much it's grown. There may be some being less polite than they should be on any given day, but they're also droners and that means they're also on your team. When you get treated unfairly as a result of the unwarranted fear or suspicion generated out there, falsely accused or written up by some cop or park ranger who does not understand the new laws while you were in fact operating your drone legally. You may turn around and find that same person that was snippy with you chatting amongst ourselves here on Phantom Pilot’s is standing right behind you and he's got your back.

I just try to keep it all in perspective. We are fortunate to have some real bonafide, card carrying experts here. They’re knowledge along with the resources made available to us on Phantom Pilots is here for us, and it's all absolutely free of charge.

Whether another member is taking time to assist me in understanding some of these new FAA restrictions we're all doing our best to comply with, or helping me with a technical problem that helps me get my bird airborne again, he is free to be as cranky as he wants to be. When we get to the bar the first round is still on me.

To any new member, I would say welcome to the team. We have all kinds here on Phantom Pilots! From cranky experts and cranky novices to some of the nicest people, you'll ever meet. We even have at least one nut-job posing as an Alaskan bullish*t expert who likes to point out how quickly our members will be to forget about grumpy attitudes and instantly stand shoulder to shoulder to confront some idiot outsider criticizing our site.

With all the wrong-headed thinking about drones out there, all the fear and suspicion we deal with resulting from the media's love of creating unnecessary panic and fear among the public at large, we're all being tolerant of the resulting over-restrictive FAA laws. We're, taking it in stride and doing our best to comply with them until the public realizes drones are not bringing down commercial airliners all over the world, they're not hovering over your house or peeping in your windows at night... It can get just plain aggravating but we endure. At some point, you'll be looking for some support. This is where you will find it.

Honestly, this PhatomPilots.com is handled with quite a bit of professionalism by the moderators, as is the MavicPilots.com. There are other *Pilots.com boards though where the moderators are quite, how shall I say, obnoxious, where their view is *rule* and anyone elses opinion about something they view as *rule* is likened to an "attack" on them or their country. Quite sad really.

I mean we are all allowed to have opinions, and just because you feel where someone lives is a restrictive environment in regards to drones, they get all nasty and authoritative and then decide to attack the person that just posted how they feel and start making threats just because they didn't like a viewpoint. No attack from the poster and no harsh words, just stating a viewpoint. That is abuse of authority by that moderator because they take something far too personal when it was never meant to be.

Hmm, is there another authority above the individual moderators of the various *Pilots.com boards???

How do certain individuals become moderators in the first place?

Is there a forum for discussing issues with moderators?

Again, not talking about PhantomPilots.com or MavicPilots.com... Both great places to enjoy and contribute to.

I can't agree more!
I found everybody on here very helpful and go way out of their way to help people but if you need help and need one of us to call you a wambulance let us know. We'll help out

Guys I see where this thread is heading and not going to let it go there. Anyone have issues just hit the report button and we will
try and fix the issue.
@Brian Fist to answer your question no there is not a section
to discuss Moderation other than message the Staff member or
an Admin. Reading our guideline page might answer a lot of what
you ask.

CLOSED​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics