'MC data error' - should I return my P3 Professional?

Reaction score
I had to return my first P3 Professional before I'd even flown it because it had all sorts of problems. The shop replaced it without any argument.

But now I'm having problems with the replacement, and this one hasn't even flown yet either.

The first thing I did out of the box was to install the latest firmware, using micro SD card for the craft and Internet for the controller. However, when I did a check with the craft connected (indoors, as the weather's so bad) I got 'MC data error' and 'data storage error'. It told me to turn the craft off then on again, but the error's still there. I also noticed that when I tried to calibrate the compass, although the instructions appeared in the Go App, and the craft's image turned from horizontal to vertical after I had done the 360 degree horizontal rotation, when I went back to the calibration button, it still said 'calibrate'.

I'd like to know if anyone here thinks there's something actually faulty about the craft, in which case, I think it would be safer to ask for another replacement. I don't want to start tinkering with it if replacing it is what I should do.

Any advice would be most welcome - this is my first 'grown-up' quadcopter, and I hardly have the faintest idea of what I'm doing. Thanks.

When you calibrate the compass you must do it horizontally and vertically with the nose pointing down.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The fact that you've had problems with both of the Phantoms would seem to indicate it may be a user problem rather than a faulty machine.

Calibrating a compass indoors is not a good idea....it needs to be done in an open area, away from any possible interference.

As you say you don't have much idea about what you're doing, it would be useful to download the full manual and read it before thinking about returning the Phantom for a second time.....it would be most unusual for a Phantom to be faulty out of the box, let alone two of them.

Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO | DJI

Are you using the same SD card? perhaps it is the trouble.

The fact that you've had problems with both of the Phantoms would seem to indicate it may be a user problem rather than a faulty machine.

Calibrating a compass indoors is not a good idea....it needs to be done in an open area, away from any possible interference.

As you say you don't have much idea about what you're doing, it would be useful to download the full manual and read it before thinking about returning the Phantom for a second time.....it would be most unusual for a Phantom to be faulty out of the box, let alone two of them.

Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO | DJI

Yep, most likely didn't do IMU Calibration, Compass, R/C, and Gimbal calibrations before 1st flight.

I've just done an IMU calibration (though the Go App said it wasn't necessary), gimbal calibration and also a further compass calibration.

Still says 'MC error' and 'data storage error'. The craft won't respond, either - props don't start up (though the gimbal control works, as does the exposure control).

It might help if I knew what 'MC error meant', but I can't seem to find this in the manual. Thanks for all your advice so far, BTW.

Google MC error Phantom 3.....there seem to be quite a lot of posts on there.

Sorry to hear you're still having problems...hope you manage to get it sorted.

Hi Kev, I'll try to put your mind at rest. Exactly the same thing has happened to me and a lot of other people after installing the latest firmware. Hopefully DJI will sort it out in the next update. It's a real pain in the derriere. At first my P3P wouldn't even connect to my ipad mini 2 either but I've now sorted that issue.

Have you guys tried the 1.7.4 firmware that is accessible?

Also make sure your app is up to date, we have had quite a few calls about random error codes as of late and most seemed to be solved after the app was updated. The P3 series GO app tends to bug if it is up to date when you load up new firmware on your copter.

FWIW, Mine throws that MC error code when I"m working on it in my basement but not when I work on outside in the yard. In my case I suspect interference issues are my cause.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20