Max flight altitude and distance have changed out of nowhere.....

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while. I don't fly much anymore but when I do I enjoy my rural location in Michigan near Lake Michigan and inland lakes and like to take shots of the lakes from 300-500m up but I got the DJI phantom 4 out today and took off and it stopped at 30m and said max flight was reached!? I went into settings and max height was still at 500m and max distance was still at 8000m but my aircraft would not budge. I haven't done any updates in a long time because I was worried this would eventually happen but did this just happen out of nowhere? Thanks for any help

Sounds like the 30 50,,try log out and sign back in,,,,,do you have solid red lights on back,that's locked craft but you should have prompt with it so I think that ok,,,you probly got a firmware update required prompt ,,I've had locked ac from not doing firmware ,that how I know that part

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Quest-So
Sounds like the 30 50,,try log out and sign back in,,,,,do you have solid red lights on back,that's locked craft but you should have prompt with it so I think that ok,,,you probly got a firmware update required prompt ,,I've had locked ac from not doing firmware ,that how I know that part
Where do I go to log in and out? I really have only used this for photo and video and have never actually connected it to my computer. Do I go to DJI web site? Thanks

Screenshot_20190611-113417.jpg
Screenshot_20190611-113456.jpg
Screenshot_20190611-113530.jpg
once you do this next time app opens you be asked to log in,,example email address

Do you sync your flights with the cloud, that way all flights come to your device,,did you activate this drone when new with your details

Do you sync your flights with the cloud, that way all flights come to your device,,did you activate this drone when new with your details

I don't know if it syncs with the cloud. Its been years since I bought it and I remember having to set it up but don't remember what I did. I went in and logged in and back out but nothing changed.

I don't know if it syncs with the cloud. Its been years since I bought it and I remember having to set it up but don't remember what I did. I went in and logged in and back out but nothing changed.
OK if you click on that clould it will sync your flights to that device,,it won't do if you don't do it
Screenshot_20190611-115852.jpg
Screenshot_20190611-115825.jpg

Reactions: sdileon
How you say it won't budge does it start and idle? What colour are the lights ,,remote,,gimble,,drone,,
Begginer is off ay

How you say it won't budge does it start and idle? What colour are the lights ,,remote,,gimble,,drone,,
Begginer is off ay

Yea it would just stop and idle with red lights on and a flag would come up that said max altitude reached. I was able to go back in and change settings to lower distance and altitude and then back and now it is working. Thank you for the help, I appreciate it very much!

As of May 17, 2019 you are restricted to max height of 400 feet as a recreational pilot in Class G unrestricted airspace and no flights within a Controlled airspace. If you have your 107 certification you can get clearance to fly in Controlled airspace and request waivers for flight over 400’ elsewhere.

Flights to 300 to 500 meters altitude are definitely verboten.

Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while. I don't fly much anymore but when I do I enjoy my rural location in Michigan near Lake Michigan and inland lakes and like to take shots of the lakes from 300-500m up but I got the DJI phantom 4 out today and took off and it stopped at 30m and said max flight was reached!? I went into settings and max height was still at 500m and max distance was still at 8000m but my aircraft would not budge. I haven't done any updates in a long time because I was worried this would eventually happen but did this just happen out of nowhere? Thanks for any help
Check and make sure you are not in training mode. Training mode will do what you are describing.

yes
As of May 17, 2019 you are restricted to max height of 400 feet as a recreational pilot in Class G unrestricted airspace and no flights within a Controlled airspace. If you have your 107 certification you can get clearance to fly in Controlled airspace and request waivers for flight over 400’ elsewhere.

Flights to 300 to 500 meters altitude are definitely verboten.
flights are supposed to be limited to 400' However when following terrain up you should be able to go to the 500m 1640' max as long as you stay 400' off the ground . easy to do in mountain states

Please stop breaking the law. You make the rest of us look bad.
going to max alt does not mean you're breaking the law . as mentioned in my previous post if you follow terrain up a mounntain you can max out alt of 1640' and still be 400' off the ground

Please stop breaking the law. You make the rest of us look bad.
Prior to May 17, 2019 it was not illegal, but not within suggested safe guidelines.

yes

flights are supposed to be limited to 400' However when following terrain up you should be able to go to the 500m 1640' max as long as you stay 400' off the ground . easy to do in mountain states
Yes 400 feet AGL, I should have been more specific, but in Michigan I can’t think of an area where 1640 feet would come into play. I don’t think we have any 1240 foot hills here. Yes 1240 feet is a hill, I lived in Colorado for 6 years where they have mountains.

Yes 400 feet AGL, I should have been more specific, but in Michigan I can’t think of an area where 1640 feet would come into play. I don’t think we have any 1240 foot hills here. Yes 1240 feet is a hill, I lived in Colorado for 6 years where they have mountains.
i fly in Colorado , Montana and the 1640 is a limiting factor . wish I could go 2500' even then it would cause limits of great shots . still it seems the FAA is cracking down on drones and there uses . recreational flyers and part 107 need to obey the rules even if there just suggested which seems is no longer the case

The updates from 2017-07-06 had a note:
"Requires the DJI GO 4 app v4.1.0 or later, otherwise the flight will be restricted to a height of 30m and distance of 50m."
AC firmware: v02.00.0106
RC firmware: v1.9.2.0
DJI GO 4 App iOS: v4.1.3
DJI GO 4 App Android: v4.1.12
See:

For giggles, launch the bird withOUT the app. Once you're in the air - even just 10', launch the app. See how far you can fly out. This SHOULD break the geofence.

If you can't break out past the geofence, land, close the app, reboot the craft, and then launch the Phantom once again without the app. This time flying out 50 meters. Once you break past the geofence, then open the app. You should be able to fly unimpeded for that entire flight.

You may also be able to fly out past the geofence with GS Pro or any third-party app (Litchi, MapPilot, AutoPilot, etc.).

If all this works, the trouble is in the Go4 App.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers