Mavic, p4, and ocusync advantage? Or same range?

Reaction score
I'm up in the air between Phantom 4 and mavic pro. The only deciding factor is I would buy a mavic if it had much better range. I read the spec sheets and noticed that both controllers put out the same GHz signal strength. So my question is in a side-by-side would one drone have a greater range than the other? Or would they have the same signal strength, and therefore be able to fly just as far as each other before losing signal?

We haven't seen any broad-based range testing. You're going to have to wait until the early adopters have shaken that info out, along with several other things on this brand new platform with brand new hardware. We don't really know how much better Occusync is than Lightbridge. It certainly sounds promising, and of course DJI has never been known to over-estimate performance specs:rolleyes:.

Maybe Occusync will show up on the Phantom 4 Pro. If not, likely on the Phantom 5, along with the rest of the Mavic suite of features.

Reactions: Numone
I'm up in the air between Phantom 4 and mavic pro.

Great advice from "MacCool" - about the only thing confirmed right now with comparing the P4 and Mavic - is the convenience of the Mavic for travelling with.

We haven't seen any broad-based range testing.

Way off topic here "MacCool" - I have seen your avatar on this forum and the DJI forum - very curious as to what you are sitting in front of - some kind of x-ray machine or what? Looks like a hospital kind of unit!

Way off topic here "MacCool" - I have seen your avatar on this forum and the DJI forum - very curious as to what you are sitting in front of - some kind of x-ray machine or what? Looks like a hospital kind of unit!

It's the operator's console for a DaVinci surgical robot. A whole different level of remote control. No RTH button, and I've never had a flyaway.:)

It's the operator's console for a DaVinci surgical robot. A whole different level of remote control. No RTH button, and I've never had a flyaway.:)

LOL - on the "no RTH or flyaway" I'm sure patients are happy to hear about that ----- Pretty impressive unit, just looked it up online - what a tool to have at your disposal for surgery. Tip of the hat Doc - where would we all be without you guys and gals. Thank you for the response.

Reactions: scooot and dirkclod
Why has no one tested range ? Seems strange. That would be one of the first things I did!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm up in the air between Phantom 4 and mavic pro. The only deciding factor is I would buy a mavic if it had much better range.
DJI give you an indication of the range in the specs
Mavic
Max Transmission DistanceFCC Compliant: 4.3 mi (7 km);
CE Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km) (Unobstructed, free of interference)​
P4
Max Transmission DistanceFCC Compliant: 3.1 mi ( 5 km );
CE Compliant: 2.2 mi ( 3.5 km )( Unobstructed, free of interference )​
That seems pretty clear.
DJI's specs are realistic figures for an interference-free area and actual experience may be even greater.
Fly in an urban area and you'll get less range.
I read the spec sheets and noticed that both controllers put out the same GHz signal strength. So my question is in a side-by-side would one drone have a greater range than the other? Or would they have the same signal strength, and therefore be able to fly just as far as each other before losing signal?
GHz relates to frequency, not signal strength.
The Mavic has a slightly stronger signal strength than the P4 but most of the additional range will be due to the new ocusynch technology, not transmitter power.
Mavic
FCC:≤26 dBm
CE:≤20 dBm​
P4
FCC: 23 dBm
CE: 17 dBm​
no good test data, Mavics delayed 2 months due to engineering issues.
Your information is incorrect.
Demand is high but plenty of users have theirs now and more are shipping every week.
See our Mavic forum to see what users are finding http://www.mavicpilots.com/

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20